[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disneyworld Trip

Bengal Mania

Finally taking the family (wife + 3 daughters all <10) next summer.

Too many options to ask for advice (where to stay, what to do, etc), althought I appreciate any advice offered.

What I'd really like to know is where you go to get a "good deal" on the trip (at least a "good deal" by Disney cost standards)?

thanks everyone.

Edited by Bengal Mania

Hey there BM.

I was just there in the first week of October with my wife and 15 month old. Did a tono of research and one of the better resources I found was an e-book written by a former Disney cast member. PM me your email addy and I'll send it over to you.

Also, and do this NOW...if you plan on heading to any character breakfasts or dinners, book these NOW. Some require a credit card, others do not. Last thing you want to do is wait for a spot to open up. This e-book covers these really well.

Also, if you pre-buy your tickets, do NOT get the non-expiration option. You can add this up to two weeks after first use and you may not even need it if you use all the days, obviously. DO get the park hopper option and since you are going in the summer (gonna be paaaaaa-aaaacked bro) you may also want the water park option.

I'll be in and out of the thread to discuss anything you want my friend. It truly is the trip of a lifetime!

Edited by The Wolf

Been there the last three years and am a member of the Disney Vacation Club - I have done tons of research on strategies to beat the crowds, it can absolutely be done even in peak seasons (we went in June once, which is peak season, and then twice in late AUgust, which isn't as crowded because Southerners are back to school by then). Sounds like you're going maybe in June/July? I can help, I promise, but it's alot to write and digest and I have a meeting shortly, so I'll come back or maybe just PM you.

Wolf is correct about the need to book certain activities ASAP - but I think the window for booking is 180 days so you may not be able to book stuff just yet.

I kinda' disagree with Wolf on the Park Hopper option - I bought it my first year and used it only one day out of 6 or 7, and it's not that cheap (e.g., a 4-day pass this past summer was $215 for an adult. No Expiration cost another $43 on top of that, and Park Hopper was a $51 add-on).

One thing you probably want to consider is to purchase an annual pass for at least one person in your party - this entitles you to unlimited use of all parks for twelve months from date of purchase (or whatever date your stay begins). It will cost more than buying a 6-day ticket or whatever for that one person, but I believe that annual pass holders get a huge discount on lodging (up to one-thrid I believe), so it more than pays for itself, and you may be entitled to additional discounts (food and souvenirs) as well.

More to come.

Thanks for the advice everyone. (Wolf - I PM'd you about that e-book you talked about, thanks)

Since my girls will be 6, 7-1/2, and 10 when we go, I am guessing we will be in Magic Kingdom and the animal place (name is excaping me), with a trip to a water park perhaps. My first inclination is to skip the Park Skip option. I kind of feel like if we do a different park each day, followed by the pool at the hotel/lodge, that should be pretty good for us. My youngin's tend to run out of gas when we go all day anyway, so I think I'd be wasting money on the park skip option.

A couple other questions:

-Anyone here from Florida and know if schools are still in session the first week in June. That's the week we're looking at, hoping to beat some crowds (not expecting anything less than chaos, however). I may also check out rates for our Spring Break week.

-I've always heard folks say you want to stay INSIDE Disneyworld, so you can go to your hotel if you want during hte day, etc. Anyone disagree w/ the need to do that? Also, if we do this, how much of a burdon is it to be in a different "park" than the one you think you'll be in most. Like I said above, I think we'll be in Magic Kingdom and teh Animal park, but the better rates look like they are in other parks (Downtown).

-I'm actually thinking of a 4 day pass, maybe 5. Doesn't seem like I ought to go for a full 6 days (I feel like that'd be too much). Is this a sound idea?

Thanks again.

-I've always heard folks say you want to stay INSIDE Disneyworld, so you can go to your hotel if you want during hte day, etc. Anyone disagree w/ the need to do that? Also, if we do this, how much of a burdon is it to be in a different "park" than the one you think you'll be in most. Like I said above, I think we'll be in Magic Kingdom and teh Animal park, but the better rates look like they are in other parks (Downtown).

I've stayed at the Disney Resorts many times and off site once. If you've got the choice, stay at one of the Disney Resorts. The transportation is much easier when staying on site. Everything is much more convenient.

Thanks for the advice everyone. (Wolf - I PM'd you about that e-book you talked about, thanks)

Since my girls will be 6, 7-1/2, and 10 when we go, I am guessing we will be in Magic Kingdom and the animal place (name is excaping me), with a trip to a water park perhaps. My first inclination is to skip the Park Skip option. I kind of feel like if we do a different park each day, followed by the pool at the hotel/lodge, that should be pretty good for us. My youngin's tend to run out of gas when we go all day anyway, so I think I'd be wasting money on the park skip option.

-Anyone here from Florida and know if schools are still in session the first week in June. That's the week we're looking at, hoping to beat some crowds (not expecting anything less than chaos, however). I may also check out rates for our Spring Break week.

-I'm actually thinking of a 4 day pass, maybe 5. Doesn't seem like I ought to go for a full 6 days (I feel like that'd be too much). Is this a sound idea?

Thanks again.

Pretty sure Florida schools are already out of session by first week of June - they start early (mid-August) and finish up early. But alot of schools in the northeast will be still in session, so I think first week of June is still a heck of alot better than thrid or fourth week.

Definitely stay on campus if you can swing it. I'm also a big believer in taking a midday break when possible. Alot of the parks have good closing ceremonies that you're gonna want to see, which will mean keeping the kids up late, and it is absolutely critical IMO to be at the parks when they first open (you'll get more done in the first two hours then in the entire rest of the day) - so you have to manage your schedule so that you don't run the kids and yourself into the ground by the third day. I do this by taking midday breaks back at the hotel (go for a swim, and a quick shower does wonders), and I also try to schedule at least one day where we don't go to any park at all, just sleep in, lounge around the hotel, maybe go to Downtown Disney for a couple hours. I also try to schedule one night where we have no plans so we can crash early (usually the Animal Kingdom day since that park closes at 5 or 6 anyway). Think about renting a car too - I know Disney has buses that will take you wherever you need to go, but I find the rental car to be much more convenient and worth the money, especially because I am taking those midday breaks more often than not.

I wouldn't worry too much about where the hotel is physically located, whether you have the rental car or not. As big as WDW is, it really only takes maybe fifteen minutes tops to get from one end to the other.

I think the last day of school down here is on or around June 6th.

Edited by BiggieFries