[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sabathia wins Cy Young

dabuffbills

For one game, I might agree. But that's not how baseball works. Consistency/durability is enormous when it comes to pitchers.

Using one of my own homer faves, I'd much rather give a four-year deal to Mark Buehrle than a more-dominant-but-injury-prone guy like Jason Schmidt.

lol...well i know how baseball works and all...and ill just say this...different people will use different criteria...and to me i will use the "who would u put on the hill for one game" test...and thats beckett...stan mcneal who covers baseball for the sporting news wrote a nice piece about it after the world series...and he crowned beckett the best pitcher in the game...even called it a "undeniable, irrefutable fact"...now i know this is just one writers opinion...but he covers the game for a living..i tend to agree with his sentiment

sgt...you have stated many times on this board that you cant stand patriot fans("i dont hate the patriots, just their fans"...yeah right)...so why would i believe that your anti new england sentiment would stop at football? hell i saw you trash the celtics on this board...yer a jealous douchebag...blow up my avatar....thats me with john hannah at age 3...ive always been a pats fan and will never stop...just like you will never stop being a fagg1t

i actually subscribe to the mag...and originally read this article in the mag and decided to look it up online....this article didnt shape my opinion...but i agree with him

Among the lessons to remember as baseball's postseason marches steadily -- if slowly -- toward winter:

Manny Ramirez could use a haircut.

The Turner TV networks should stick to the NBA.

Clint Hurdle has a great smile and 19 (out of 20) reasons to show it off.

If you want to record a Red Sox game for viewing later, set your timer for about eight hours.

The younger Drew is the better Drew.

Some players were not made for HD close-ups (sorry, Eric Gagne, this means you).

Grady Sizemore is the next big thing.

All educational and entertaining playoff facts. But the one absolutely undeniable, irrefutable fact to take away from the postseason is this: Josh Beckett has become the game's best pitcher. You can qualify that with best "big-game" pitcher if you want. But isn't the best pitcher the one who dominates the big games?

Beckett is at his best in the big games even more than A-Rod is at his not-so-best. Since his playoff debut in 2003, Beckett's 1.87 ERA is more than half a run better than any other starter's in that time. He has allowed more than two runs only once in seven starts and has limited opponents to a .147 batting average while putting up a 5.2-to-1 strikeouts-to-walk ratio.

He has pitched three shutouts, including a 5-hitter that finished off the Yankees in the 2003 World Series and a 4-hitter over the Angels in this year's Division Series opener. In that game, he retired 19 consecutive hitters and allowed only one runner to reach second base. "I don't think you're going to be able to pitch a much better game than that," raved Angels manager Mike Scioscia.

Beckett's postseason prowess can be traced to his overpowering stuff, described by Red Sox manager Terry Francona as a fastball that's "97 with cut, a curveball from hell and a really good changeup." But as overpowering as Beckett can be, what really has turned him into the early 21st century's Bob Gibson is his confidence.

Go back to 2003, when he was starting for the Marlins against the Cubs in an NLCS elimination game. In the fourth inning of a scoreless game, Beckett buzzed Sammy Sosa with a high and tight fastball. Sosa, the victim of two pitches to the head that season, let the 23-year-old know all about his displeasure. Chest out, Beckett strode toward the plate, lifted a new baseball out of the umpire's pocket and went back to work. He finished with a 2-hit shutout, then ripped Sosa for overreacting.

This was the same guy who had the words Kid Heat stitched on his letterman's jacket in high school and talked a much bigger game than he pitched in his first couple of years in the majors. But his youthful brashness has developed into a veteran's confidence.

He has avoided one-on-one interviews as if they were bad innings this season. After he won his 20th game, he passed out more thank yous than an Oscar winner. He refuses to be caught up in any hype about his postseason exploits. After shutting down the Angels, he pulled out his best Bull Durhamesque cliches: "I'm just out there trying to execute pitches until somebody takes the ball out of my hand and the game's over."

No one can argue with that strategy. Likewise, no one can dispute which player has emerged as the game's best pitcher this October

lol...well i know how baseball works and all...and ill just say this...different people will use different criteria...and to me i will use the "who would u put on the hill for one game" test...and thats beckett...

If that's your criteria, then I can't really argue with Beckett. He's definitely a good choice.

stan mcneal who covers baseball for the sporting news wrote a nice piece about it after the world series...and he crowned beckett the best pitcher in the game...even called it a "undeniable, irrefutable fact"...now i know this is just one writers opinion...but he covers the game for a living..i tend to agree with his sentiment

Yeah, because sports writers NEVER pimp home-town players in major media markets (or capitalize on popular sentiment of flavor-of-the-month players) to increase sales. :D

Beckett's good (very good), but let's not let some momo, who is obviously pandering to the millions of Red Sox fans right after they win the WS, cloud our judgement.

Edited by Bill Swerski

If that's your criteria, then I can't really argue with Beckett. He's definitely a good choice.

Yeah, because sports writers NEVER pimp home-town players in major media markets (or capitalize on popular sentiment of flavor-of-the-month players) to increase sales. :D

Beckett's good (very good), but let's not let some momo, who is obviously pandering to the millions of Red Sox fans right after they win the WS, cloud our judgement.

oh i agree..im not letting this cloud my judgement......this is just a small one page article that doesnt even appear in the baseball section of the mag...but i think it rings true..

i know what you are saying though about what people will do to sell magazines...but again...this is an issue with tony dungy on the cover believe it or not..in which the feature article is ranking the nfl head coaches from 1-32

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

lol...well i know how baseball works and all...and ill just say this...different people will use different criteria...and to me i will use the "who would u put on the hill for one game" test...and thats beckett...stan mcneal who covers baseball for the sporting news wrote a nice piece about it after the world series...and he crowned beckett the best pitcher in the game...even called it a "undeniable, irrefutable fact"...now i know this is just one writers opinion...but he covers the game for a living..i tend to agree with his sentiment

sgt...you have stated many times on this board that you cant stand patriot fans("i dont hate the patriots, just their fans"...yeah right)...so why would i believe that your anti new england sentiment would stop at football? hell i saw you trash the celtics on this board...yer a jealous douchebag...blow up my avatar....thats me with john hannah at age 3...ive always been a pats fan and will never stop...just like you will never stop being a fagg1t

LMAO, if you dont believe when I say I dont hate the pats, just their ignnorant fans, then dont respond to any of my posts ever again. If you can. But I bet you can't. I bet I am so important to you, you have to respond to my threads. Prove me wrong. :D

BTW, I dont lie dude. Period. end of story.

Welcome to my ignore list.

LMAO, if you dont believe when I say I dont hate the pats, just their ignnorant fans, then dont respond to any of my posts ever again. If you can. But I bet you can't. I bet I am so important to you, you have to respond to my threads. Prove me wrong. :D

BTW, I dont lie dude. Period. end of story.

Welcome to my ignore list.

uhoh...not your ignore list...lol....yer real important to me...you complete me!!

lol why are we ignorant? because we dont believe your incessant babble about how the cowboys will beat us in the superbowl? or how you guys should have won our regular season meeting? or how your cowboys dynasty dwarfs ours? or how the patriots are simply the biggest amongst a league of midgets? or how any cowboys superbowl winner would trash this patriots team?

lol..yer a joke

look at the words you type...."i bet you cant"...."im so important to you, you have to respond to my threads".....get over yourself...this is just a message board...i just happen to think you are the supreme douchebag of this board...and you prove it almost every week....funny how you are so big and bad...and go out of your way to trash others...yet when there are cowboys/pats sigline bets...and threads about the cowboys receiving steroids...you are nowhere to be found

LMAO, exactly. Who did you guys root for in the 90's. Was is the Redskins, Giants or was it some other team winning at the time. Certainly wasnt the pats.

I'm not much of a fan of this whole football thing... but didn't the Pats go to the Super Bowl in the middle of the 90s? :D

Couldnt have said it better myself. :D

Bottom line - the right person wont the Cy Young in both leagues. Unlike the NL ROY, which should have gone to the Colorado SS.

Couldnt have said it better myself. :D

Bottom line - the right person wont the Cy Young in both leagues. Unlike the NL ROY, which should have gone to the Colorado SS.

I might not agree that Sabathia should have won in the AL, but Peavy was a clear choice, and I also thought the SS in Colorado should have won.