[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Office 2008 for Mac

detlef

Anyone who's been struggling through older Office versions with a newer Mac should know what I'm talking about, Things grind to a slow crawl as soon as you open up word, excel, etc.

It was explained some time ago by the guys at the Mac store that they were working on a new Office built to work better with Intel based Macs so I was urged not to waste my money upgrading my old Office X to Office 2004. Rather, wait for the new stuff that was supposed to be released "fall 2007". So, yesterday I checked into it and, while it's not out yet, I discovered this bit of interesting info. If you buy 2004 and mail in a form, they'll upgrade you to 2008 when it comes out in January for $6.99. Allegedly, the new Office is going to cost $500, so that's a pretty massive savings.

FYI.

I just ran NeoOffice. It's an OpenOffice project for Mac OS X. Free.

It's had both a PPC and Intel version for years.

I run this in my environment as well. Unfortunately, I do not find it to be 100% reliable with displaying data properly, or with displaying all the data. It is prone to issues in particular if you have a complex font environment. Be careful with it.

In typical MS fasion, Office for the Mac has been bloatware since the first versions back in the day. For OSX, fonts seem to be the issue--the more you have active or in your system, the slower it goes. We'll turn off almost all (using FontAgent or Suitcase) except the base system fonts and then Word/Excel open and run much faster. Lucky for us we don't need Office except for an occasional conversion for layout and rarely have to use it.

I run this in my environment as well. Unfortunately, I do not find it to be 100% reliable with displaying data properly, or with displaying all the data. It is prone to issues in particular if you have a complex font environment. Be careful with it.

I've tried it and NeoOffice but not without issue. Then again, I'm not as computer savvy as most.

To be fair... I've always had problems with document formatting when using Microsoft Office for Mac as well if the document came from a PC.

Microsoft writes bad software. Even worse if they have to write it twice.