[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Golden Compass

Dr. Love

The Commander-In-Chief made me take her to see this on Saturday. It was most excellent, and I highly recommend it. Good acting, likeable characters, captivating storyline, and nice special effects combine for a thoroughly entertaining film.

After reading some of those "FW:FW:FW:Movie Wants to Kill God" emails, I expected the characters to be wiping their asses with a crucifix. I suppose that if one tried hard enough, one could draw a parallel between the Majesterium (the bad guys in the movie who are in charge of things) and the Catholic church, but I doubt that I would have made the connection if I hadn't heard about it beforehand. If there is an anti-religion theme, it's very subtle, and it's only there if you want to find it.

I recommend seeing The Golden Compass. If you avoid it because of the supposed anti-God theme, you're only cheating yourself.

yah i really want to see it especially because the religious kooko's in this country say its bad ... :wacko:

coincidentally, they're usually right. think of the movies they've gotten the most pissed off about:

last temptation of christ - major snoozefest :D

da vinci code - nice mullet, mr. hanks

priest - totally forgettable disney movie about a gay priest. :D

coincidentally, they're usually right. think of the movies they've gotten the most pissed off about:

havnt seen any of those but they also didn't like harry potty, lord of the rings and other magic stuff :wacko:

Nah, those two movies were going to suck based on who was the lead actor and who directed it.

Neither has done anything good since Toy Story(if that even lovely counts) and Lethal Weapon.

My wife and I are having an argument about this movie.

I said I wanted to see it and she immediately exclaimed that it was an evil movie and the churches are all warning people to stay away. The story line is anti-god or some such thing.

The author is an aethist ... to which I responded "so what".

It looks like a fantasy flick to me ... much like several others I have seen. I told her that she had a similiar reaction to the Harry Potter series exclaiming that the author was espousing witch craft.

sure, but on the other hand, there was quite a lot of handwringing when it came to "passion of the christ" as well, so it cuts both ways.

Forcing kids to see an R rated movie is an issue that had little to do with religion. But, they aren't my kids... so it's all cool with me.

havnt seen any of those but they also didn't like harry potty, lord of the rings and other magic stuff :wacko:

DaVinci code wasn't bad (though Hanks's hairstyle most definitely was). Harry Potter was very good. Most people didn't think much of the other films Az mentions. I think it's a stretch to say that the thumpers are "usually right".

sure, but on the other hand, there was quite a lot of handwringing when it came to "passion of the christ" as well, so it cuts both ways.

What you write off as "handwringing" were legitimate concerns about factual inaccuracies and how passion plays have historically incited waves of anti-semitism. It's not like there was some huge secular uproar when The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe came out. That's a fantasy movie that's pro-Christian, and it's done in a manner that is far, far more overt than anything in The Golden Compass.

What you write off as "handwringing" were legitimate concerns about factual inaccuracies and how passion plays have historically incited waves of anti-semitism. It's not like there was some huge secular uproar when The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe came out. That's a fantasy movie that's pro-Christian, and it's done in a manner that is far, far more overt than anything in The Golden Compass.

i'm not sure i understand your reasoning. if a christian makes a movie that supposedly paints jews in a bad light, there are "legitimate concerns". but if an atheist makes a movie that paints the church in a bad light, it's different?

i heard it's another overblown, special effects heavy movie that really doesn't go anywhere. critics have been harsh.

:D

i'd have more respect for it if they didn't actively tone down the anti-religious themes which are more prevalent in the book. we have enough movies out there that are low on vision/message and high on wow! effects. at least have the nads to stand for something.

i'd have more respect for it if they didn't actively tone down the anti-religious themes which are more prevalent in the book.

Did you actually read the books? I did and missed the whole connection altogether.

Edited by DemonKnight

i'm not sure i understand your reasoning. if a christian makes a movie that supposedly paints jews in a bad light, there are "legitimate concerns". but if an atheist makes a movie that paints the church in a bad light, it's different?

If The Passion was released as a work of pure fiction, I'd say that there was no difference. However, it wasn't.

Going back a ways here, but I thought Monty Python's Life of Brian was worth seeing.

I think where the people are creating awareness about this movie is with the books, not the movie.

Not reading the books, I understand that the books eventually have the main characters killing God. And this movie can be exploited to get the kids to see a cool, kick ass movie, and then ask for the books for Christmas. In a holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus, they are trying to say that these books eventually send the wrong message....so it's not the movie they are upset about, it's the potential that exists that if the kids love the movie, they'll want the books, and the books are written by an atheist that holds nothing back with his beliefs, and he would love to have children make up their minds about whether they need God in their lives...that's what these religious groups are upset about. :D