[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice's Single Season TD Record

WaterMan

Thank you! At least someone is remembering. Rice did it in 12 games which is why there should be an asterisk by it if Moss ties or breaks it.

Ya....he really does suck doesn't he?? :D

It seems like fellow huddlers are quick to put an asterisk on anything involving the pats.....sure Jerry Rice did it in 12, but Moss will still break the season total record.

I'm not denying that Jerry Rice will be the fastest to 22, but why an asterisk on the all time season TD record?? :D

it's NEVER been done before....

Tom Brady and Randy Moss hooked up for two touchdowns in the first half, marking the 20th and 21st time that the pair has combined for a score this season. The touchdowns extending their NFL record for the most touchdown passes between any passer and receiver in a single season. The previous NFL record for most touchdown connections between a passer and receiver was 18, achieved by Miami’s Dan Marino and Mark Clayton in 1984 and by Green Bay’s Brett Favre and Sterling Sharpe in 1994. When Jerry Rice caught his NFL-record 22 touchdown receptions in 1987, he caught 13 touchdowns from quarterback Joe Montana, eight touchdowns from quarterback Steve Young and one touchdown from running back Harry Sydney.

So should the 2000 yard record of dickerson have an asterisk too? Or maybe the season TD pass record, or TD's scored record by Emmitt...? So much anti-Moss bias :D Dude may be a slacker and a moran, but he's still damn good.

Its not Bias just reality,22 in 12 is more impressive.

Which would you rather say, I got 22 TDs in 12 or 22 TDs in 16?Even 23 isnt as impressive.

Put the asterick next to Rices since its a sensitive subject with Patsies.

Edited by xtra

If Moss gets the record, it's his. No question, no "*". Here's the thing. Because there are so many players in the NFL who play positions that are not number oriented, the fan base does not fixate on records the way they do in baseball and hoops. So, Randy can have is name in the books (assuming he breaks the record) and Rice can remain in the hearts of NFL fans as the greatest ever to play his position. When people bring up the record (or Brady's should he break that as well), people will say, "Oh yeah, that's the year where NE shamelessly threw the ball all game long to pad their stats".

So it's his fault that they play 16 games now? I believe it's called a season record, not a 12 game record.

If you want to sound smarter, I suggest you learn your history: he did it in 1987, during a strike season which is why they played only 12 games. That's a little different than playing a 'full schedule' and if extrapolated over the remaining 4 games that weren't played you end up with 29 on the year.

If he scores 2, the record clearly resides with Randy Moss. But the title of greatest WR ever still belongs to Jerry Rice - it's not even close IMO... and I'm a Pats fan.

records aside, i think i would include Marvin Harrison in that argument....and yes, i think you know

i'm a Patriots fan.

current era and entire career.....but some Steeler homers may have a thing or two to say about that...

Edited by pig devilz

If Moss gets the record, it's his. No question, no "*". Here's the thing. Because there are so many players in the NFL who play positions that are not number oriented, the fan base does not fixate on records the way they do in baseball and hoops. So, Randy can have is name in the books (assuming he breaks the record) and Rice can remain in the hearts of NFL fans as the greatest ever to play his position.

I agree with that.

When people bring up the record (or Brady's should he break that as well), people will say, "Oh yeah, that's the year where NE shamelessly threw the ball all game long to pad their stats".

People will also say, that's the era in football when QBs could throw TDs all day. Such as the Colts and Raiders prior to the Patriots' current season.

records aside, i think i would include Marvin Harrison in that argument....and yes, i think you know

i'm a Patriots fan.

current era and entire career.....but some Steeler homers may have a thing or two to say about that...

As much as the homer in me loves Marvin, he can't carry Rice's jockstrap.

If he scores 2, the record clearly resides with Randy Moss. But the title of greatest WR ever still belongs to Jerry Rice - it's not even close IMO... and I'm a Pats fan.

Both statements are true. Moss would own the single season record. After all, if the Patriots lose next week, everyone will ignore the fact that they have already beaten the Dolphins single regular season record of 14 straight wins. Can't have it both ways.

As for Rice, when Moss passes his TD total, someone let me know. Not gonna happen. Rice stands completely alone in terms of career.