[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Myth or Reality?

theeohiostate

Some owners who got lucky and drafted first might try to fool us to thinking it had nothing to do with their success, citing other players aside of LT, Brady ect on their team.

Don't be fooled, picking #1 has always been a decided advantage and no more so then this year.

Looking over my leagues it was quite obvious.

I made the Championship game in 4 leagues, 3 of which i drafted from the 1 spot.

Addtitionally, in the BOTH BCS, Empire, Bling Bling and TML , all 4 leagues were represented in the Championship game by the dude drafting #1.

In other league's i played in the #1 seeds did no worse then finish in 3rd place, most of them scoring more points then both teams in the finals this week. In the Huddle Ladder 2 teams who picked #1 made the finals, 2 more finsihed 3rd.

So, please don't tell us how hard you had it, when your were handed an outright invitation to the championship game by virtue of a dice roll. :D

With all the data so heavily in the corner for the guys picking #1, why are more FF owners crying for auction leagues, where EVERYONE has an EQUALLY fair opportuninty to aquire the players they covet? Seems to me like a no-brainer and I hope to move some of my leagues in this direction, so we can all compete on a level playing field. Or, we could just hand out checks to those of us that roll the highest dice for draft position ?

I disagree. Only once or twice in the 15 years of my local has the team that drafted 1st won the championship ... including this year.

The championship is not won in the first 3 rounds of the draft. It is won in the middle rounds and in free agency.

Fair enought, BUT.............how many times has the team drafting #1 made $$$ finishing in the top 3 ?

Drafting #1 is like playing the lotto and getting the first 4 numbers, you just have to guess 1 or the remaining 2 and you win $$$.

Edited by theeohiostate

I don't want to get into the #1 pick debate because I've been there many times but in most cases we are in leagues that are long lasting and I like the suspense before and the challenge during that drafting from a different spot every year provides. I do several leagues but I've been in two leagues for many years now and our winners come from different draft spots quite regularly.

With all the data so heavily in the corner for the guys picking #1, why aren't more FF owners crying for auction leagues, where EVERYONE has an EQUALLY fair opportuninty to aquire the players they covet? Seems to me like a no-brainer and I hope to move some of my leagues in this direction, so we can all compete on a level playing field. Or, we could just hand out checks to those of us that roll the highest dice for draft position ?

Fixed?

Yeah, my local league (in one form or another) has been an auction league for something like 15 years. I've been playing in an auction format my entire fantasy career, and it's so far superior to drafting it isn't even funny. The past two years, I haven't been in a league that wasn't either auction or dynasty format.

Peace

policy

I disagree. Only once or twice in the 15 years of my local has the team that drafted 1st won the championship ... including this year.

The championship is not won in the first 3 rounds of the draft. It is won in the middle rounds and in free agency.

+1

I've won my local redraft 3 out of 7 years. I didn't have the first pick in any of those years. I had the first pick after each title, and didn't win in any of those seasons...

+1

I've won my local redraft 3 out of 7 years. I didn't have the first pick in any of those years. I had the first pick after each title, and didn't win in any of those seasons...

No where in my post did i say the guy drafting #1 would win. I was pointing out that they nearly always play for the title or at worst get 3rd place $$$. So when your handing out draft picks to begin each season, why not just hand out a little cash to the owners who roll the highest bones too ?

No where in my post did i say the guy drafting #1 would win. I was pointing out that they nearly always play for the title or at worst get 3rd place $$$. So when your handing out draft picks to begin each season, why not just hand out a little cash to the owners who roll the highest bones too ?

Several years ago I did this kind of analysis on my local league and what I found absolutely does NOT support your statements. What I found is that the top teams tended to come out of the 6th through 12th positions.

In my local this year the teams in the superbowl drafted 1st and 12th. Here is how the draft positions finished:

1 - 1 seed, 1st place

2 - 6 seed, 3rd or 4th despite losing his 1st round pick, S.Jackson for a good part of the year

3 - out of the playoffs ... didn't win a single game

4 - out of the playoffs

5 - 3 seed, 5th place

6 - out of the playoffs

7 - out of the playoffs

8 - out of the playoffs

9 - out of the playoffs

10 - 4 seed, 6th place

11 - 5 seed, 3rd or 4th place

12 - 2 seed, 2nd place

Several years ago I did this kind of analysis on my local league and what I found absolutely does NOT support your statements. What I found is that the top teams tended to come out of the 6th through 12th positions.

In my local this year the teams in the superbowl drafted 1st and 12th. Here is how the draft positions finished:

1 - 1 seed, 1st place

2 - 6 seed, 3rd or 4th despite losing his 1st round pick, S.Jackson for a good part of the year

3 - out of the playoffs ... didn't win a single game

4 - out of the playoffs

5 - 3 seed, 5th place

6 - out of the playoffs

7 - out of the playoffs

8 - out of the playoffs

9 - out of the playoffs

10 - 4 seed, 6th place

11 - 5 seed, 3rd or 4th place

12 - 2 seed, 2nd place

So the team who drafted #1, got the 1st seed and won your league? That supports what i've seen in my leagues this season. I've done no mulitple years review, but just for the leagues i play in and for this season it's amazing that the #1 spot has won money in every league aside of 1. So the majority of leagues the dude picking #1 got in the $$$ ...............that says alot to me about the chances you have from that position

Edited by theeohiostate

So the team who drafted #1, got the 1st seed and won your league? That supports what i've seen in my leagues this season. I've done no mulitple years review, but just for the leagues i play in and for this season it's amazing that the #1 spot has won money in every league aside of 1. So 13 of 14 leagues the dude picking #1 got in the $$$ ...............that says alot to me about the chances you have from that position

Yes I won my league from drafting 1st. But it is only the 2nd time in 15 years that has been done. And it was more because LT was just about the only RB drafted in the first 2 rounds to stay healthy all year.

But I don't get where I did without a bunch of other things happening that had nothing to do with having the 1st pick:

1) Drafted Wayne and Roy Williams in the 2nd/3rd ... they were key in a PPR league

2) Snagged Jacobs in the 5th

3) Jason Witten in the 7th was HUGH

4) PIT in the 11th was important early

5) Getting the NYG later won me a couple of games

6) Picking TB up in week 13 for the week 15 matchup put me in the SB, without this move I finish 3rd

7) Snagging Warner in week 8 to replace Vince Young / Jason Campbell

8) Trading McDonald + Pittman for Fitz the week Caddy got hurt

9) Getting Roddy White in the 15th and holding him most of the year until he started coming on

10) Getting Chester Taylor in the 13th and holding him all year for the 2 starts he game me when AP was hurt

I did not win by drafting LT

I just won two championships without LT and I am in 9th in the big contest here in Dallas without him as well but he has been a big help for teams since he really caught fire more in the later stages of the season when teams were making or playing in the playoffs. He is an advantage but not an insurmountable one and the #1 guy tends to change every couple of years anyway. You are just looking back at two strong years by LT. In the past it was Faulk, Emmitt, Terrell Davis, Priest Holmes, etc.. They never last too long anyway.

14 team league:

Big John drafted first (LT), and did not even make the play-offs. I drafted 14th, finished as the two seed, and have a 30 point lead in the championship game tonight. I also am number one in points despite losing my first round pick Ronnie Brown, for the season.

Last year, same league, and Puddy had the first pick, took LJ. He did not make the play-offs.

Two years ago, same league, I had the #1 pick, took LT, and lost in the championship game to Nsab who was starting freaking Ricky Williams by that point.

The first pick can help, but it doesn't make or break your season. Trades, free agency, injuries, and blind luck have more to do with it that the number one pick.

Myth.

I'm in 6 redraft leagues, and I have not had the 1st spot in 8 years. Each year 4 to 6 of my teams make the playoffs, and at least one of them wins it all. This year I will get two Superbowl wins. As my records are mostly very good, I usually get a high draft spot (9th-12th), and still compete very well.

With the 1st pick, you really have to select your players very carefully in rounds 2 and 3. Those teams the make the playoffs with the 1st pick did a great job of drafting, IMHO. In fact it is my belief that the teams that draft in the top 3 have it harder when drafting as so many top, proven players are off the board by the time they make their next select in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Especially with the fact that by the time they draft in the 4th round they are already looking for 'hopefuls' with only 3 players on their roster at that time.

I prefer the 12th spot. Luckly with Superbowl wins I get it often enough.

Von

Ya know, about 80% of the time I would say that the #1 pick is the difference

But in a strange twist of irony, I drafted 9th in the Huddle Ladder, All Pro Division and just beat the guy that drafted #1 and picked LT. Sorry TOS, I just couldn't help it. The ball was just hanging there, I had to hit it. :D But nice game, you almost beat me......

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy