[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huckabee takes Iowa

budlitebrad

I don't see an 'anti-religion' post in this thread. I see people who feel it should be kept private and out of the public sphere.

In other words: I call BS on this pansy ass statement.

A lot of Republitarded Christians will play the victim card as much as Jessee Jackson and Al Sharpton play the race card.

Edited by bushwacked

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...I'm a little out of touch on this. Has anyone dropped out yet, due only to disappointing Iowa results? It doesn't get interesting to me until dudes/dudettes start dropping like flies, leading up to the conventions. How bad did Hillary take it?

too early still, but my prediction from last year still stands - Hillary vs. McCain for all the marbles in Nov...

He's a politician so it's obviously hard to get a read on him. This one quote is what nags me:

It sounds like he thinks change is bad when it comes to science.

Evolutionary biology is a key foundation for modern biomedical research and these studies need increased funding now more than ever. :D Considering his comments on AIDS back in '92, I can't help feeling concerned about where he would put federal funds.

But if Chuck Norris shows up at my door, Huckabee gets my vote. :D

But if it's an Obama versus Huckabee contest in November, Oprah will show up and kick Chuck's arse.

So...I'm a little out of touch on this. Has anyone dropped out yet, due only to disappointing Iowa results? It doesn't get interesting to me until dudes/dudettes start dropping like flies, leading up to the conventions. How bad did Hillary take it?

too early still, but my prediction from last year still stands - Hillary vs. McCain for all the marbles in Nov...

Biden and Dodd cut and run. The Hillary people are doing damage control but I'm sure they don't like the 3rd place finish. They don't take NH, then they could be in some real trouble. Rumors abound (started by Robert Novak and I heard Sean Hannity confirm today) that the Clintons have some drug related dirt on Barack that they will release if things get too out of hand.

Biden and Dodd cut and run. The Hillary people are doing damage control but I'm sure they don't like the 3rd place finish. They don't take NH, then they could be in some real trouble. Rumors abound (started by Robert Novak and I heard Sean Hannity confirm today) that the Clintons have some drug related dirt on Barack that they will release if things get too out of hand.

Very credible sources. Just ask Valerie Plame.

On another "I heard this' front: a friend of mine knows a reporter in DC, and the ace in the hole there is Edwards having had a kid with a staffer in the past two years, and has a close aide "being the father of record" since, you know, his wife has cancer.

Not as lopsided as it may sound. There is a precedent for this, ya know. Jacob played it to a draw once, so I give Chuck a 50% chance....

Don King?

Trick question: you can't win a fight with yourself.

Yo mama came closest. It is a trick question. I didn't specify if Jesus could use his superpowers like changing water to wine, parting the seas, flying faster than a speeding bullet, placing quarters under the pillow after you lose a tooth or putting presents under the Christmas tree.

Rumors abound (started by Robert Novak and I heard Sean Hannity confirm today) that the Clintons have some drug related dirt on Barack that they will release if things get too out of hand.

That would likely backfire on Hillary, who has a history of character assassination and whose own husband is far from a saintly figure. Plus, didn't Obama already admit in his book that he used coke when he was young? Unless this alleged drug use was recent, nobody's going to care.

That would likely backfire on Hillary, who has a history of character assassination and whose own husband is far from a saintly figure. Plus, didn't Obama already admit in his book that he used coke when he was young? Unless this alleged drug use was recent, nobody's going to care.

Agreed. Bill got elected with the pot thing. Bush got elected despite his coke use and the fact that he's a dry drunk. But since it was far enough in the past, people didn't care. But if Obama is a younger version of Marion Barry, that's different.

Very credible sources. Just ask Valerie Plame.

On another "I heard this' front: a friend of mine knows a reporter in DC, and the ace in the hole there is Edwards having had a kid with a staffer in the past two years, and has a close aide "being the father of record" since, you know, his wife has cancer.

I thought I saw something similar plastered on the cover for the national enquirer or a similar rag a couple months back. Picture showed a pregnant blonde...

I agree, which I think if they did have the dirt they would only release it if very desperate.

Yeah, but Marion Barry was re-elected even after the drug charges. :D

Touche. :D Still, while something like that might fly with the residents of DC, I doubt it would play the same on the National stage.

Edited by yo mama

I'm sorry that some of you guys feel so threatened by somebody who goes to church on Sunday and uses his faith to connect with a very large base of like-minded voters.

the guy's personal faith (or anybody else's personal faith, for that matter) doesn't really bother me much. what i personally worry about is the people voting for him gaining control over ever greater swaths of the republican party, and american politics as a whole. this is a movement that is "conservative" in the true, reactionary sense -- as opposed to "conservative" in the classical liberal (less government and to each his own) sense. the people who prop up a candidate like huckabee are people who want more government intrusion into peoples' lives, in the name of protecting some ideal they feel we should all aspire to. they are just like liberals except that they have a different vision of the utopia they want the government to lead us toward.

I agree, which I think if they did have the dirt they would only release it if very desperate.

They went after something he wrote in kindergarten. :D

His first book, which he wrote before he ran for the senate, does talk about using several drugs.

How about the post about him supposedly not believing in evolution? What in the hell do his personal beliefs have to do with his ability to serve as Preisdent?

I'm sorry that some of you guys feel so threatened by somebody who goes to church on Sunday and uses his faith to connect with a very large base of like-minded voters. Nobody is forcing you to vote for him.

I sure as shlt do tend to feel a bit threatened by someone whos beliefs would lead him to:

a) Work to make abortions illegal

:D Work to keep stem cell research without federal funds

c) Not support equal rights for gay and lesbian unions

d) Force religous drivel down the throats of my children if I so chose to send them to public school

I take none of these issues lightly which is why a compassionate-conservative-christian-charlatan will ever get a whiff of my vote. :D

the guy's personal faith (or anybody else's personal faith, for that matter) doesn't really bother me much. what i personally worry about is the people voting for him gaining control over ever greater swaths of the republican party, and american politics as a whole. this is a movement that is "conservative" in the true, reactionary sense -- as opposed to "conservative" in the classical liberal (less government and to each his own) sense. the people who prop up a candidate like huckabee are people who want more government intrusion into peoples' lives, in the name of protecting some ideal they feel we should all aspire to. they are just like liberals except that they have a different vision of the utopia they want the government to lead us toward.

This is about as well stated as I've ever heard it put. Thank you.

And what makes them even more dangerous than the liberals is that they're business oriented which typically makes them better focused and better organizers. The liberals are too overly idealistic to ever organize to the extent the right does.