[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where does Rudy Giuliani's campaign strategy rank among the all-time worst

wiegie

Look at this graph and you will see that he was the clear GOP front-runner for almost the entire second half of 2007 and then he just completely fell apart with his stupid decision to not campaign in the early states. Moran.

http://iemweb.biz.uiowa.edu/graphs/graph_RConv08.cfm

i agree wiegie ..was talking to my dad about this as well ..we both think he blew it

if he had thicker eye brows ( much thicker ) you could call him Michael Dukakis

IMO the guy did a fantastic job in the aftermath of 9/11. That being said you need to offer more then that to be president of these United States. I think Guiliani had the Balls needed to make the tough decisions that need to be made as president. The guy took on the NY Mob head on. He clearly has a set. He just went to 9/11 overboard IMO.

Edited by whomper

Of course, there's always the chance that people liked him a whole lot more before they got to know him better. I lived in NY briefly in the early 90s at, while all my lefty friends hated the guy, I could see that he was making the place a much better city to live in. I mean, the things they were pissed off about was that they used to be able to smoke dope on the stoop and now they couldn't. :wacko:

Compare NYC in 85 to NYC in 95 and there's no comparison. The place was cleaner, safer, and financially vibrant after Rudi got his shot at running it.

So, that's the Giuliani that I knew and, to be honest, was considering voting for him as POTUS. Then he just came off like a bitter nut in the few debates I saw and he lost me big time.

Look at this graph and you will see that he was the clear GOP front-runner for almost the entire second half of 2007 and then he just completely fell apart with his stupid decision to not campaign in the early states. Moran.

:wacko: Romney is ROMN-NOM

Reminds me of these.

IMO the guy did a fantastic job in the aftermath of 9/11. That being said you need to offer more then that to be president of these United States. I think Guiliani had the Balls needed to make the tough decisions that need to be made as president. The guy took on the NY Mob head on. He clearly has a set. He just went to 9/11 overboard IMO.

Guilliani's problem seems to be that he thinks America is populated only by New Yorkers and former New Yorkers who retired down to Florida.

Guilliani's problem seems to be that he thinks America is populated only by New Yorkers and former New Yorkers who retired down to Florida.

Typical New Yorker. Like the Yankees, he put on the uniform and expected it would take him to the WS.

it mighta worked if mccain weren't in the race. they were really going after the same votes, the republicans who care a lot about defense and foreign policy but don't really dig the religious right. every since they started polling last year or whenever, as soon as one guy's support went up, the other's went down. if there's no mccain, then maybe rudy sits back and lets huckabee and romney battle it out in the early tiny "conservative" states, he steps in and wins florida and takes that momentum into super tuesday. problem was that mccain stepped into the breach and took all rudy's support by campaigning early, winning NH and south carolina. even if romney had won NH and huckabee had won SC, instead of mccain winning both, rudy could very well have still been in this thing.

pretty good, short article about this here:

The Giuliani Strategy Succeeds

So what happened to Rudy?

By John Hood

Remember when Rudy Giuliani was the talk of the Republican presidential contest? It wasn’t so long ago, and it’s worth recalling that in addition to winning the “pundit primary,” the mayor had a real strategy for winning the GOP nomination despite being out of step with a key voting group, social conservatives. It was to count on Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, and Fred Thompson to split the conservative vote in the early states, eliminating the possibility of a momentum candidate and allowing Giuliani to win the biggest January prize, Florida, and thus bounce most of the Super-Duper Tuesday pinballs into his slot, winning the game.

Rudy’s strategy essentially succeeded — but he didn’t. The scenario still required the moderate protagonist to compete in the early states, even if he didn’t win them, in order to stay in the headlines and not fade into the background. John McCain lacked Giuliani’s fundraising prowess and campaign pros, but he strode valiantly into the fight, anyway. It was a telling decision for a war hero and famously combative senator, and it worked.