[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So is anyone watching Dave Ramsey tonight?

polksalet

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i thought about it but that is a lot of money for fuel and tickets. Heck, I listen to him enough I could teach the thing.

I do teach it - on an informal basis with the folks at work. Dave is a dynamic speaker and works enough humor into his presentations that people take his, "how stupid were you to do that" rebukes pretty well.

No...I did not watch and won't watch. I like the guy enough...but I see him as a fraud myself.

That'd be news to be - in my limited experience, he helps a lot of peope get on track financially. It is sad that the need for his simple, common sense advice is out there, but is definately out there - in droves.

I have a list of things he says that I have a problem with....just from a professional standpoint...and just to clue you in it is not about paying off debt or paying off your mortgage. It is other things that drive me nuts. I mean, like I have stated earlier and in other threads....real easy to tell people...in rude ways sometimes....what to do when in fact he has filed bankruptcy himself....at least once...maybe twice. Those that can....do.....those that can't.....teach. Simple as that.

I have a list of things he says that I have a problem with....just from a professional standpoint...and just to clue you in it is not about paying off debt or paying off your mortgage. It is other things that drive me nuts. I mean, like I have stated earlier and in other threads....real easy to tell people...in rude ways sometimes....what to do when in fact he has filed bankruptcy himself....at least once...maybe twice. Those that can....do.....those that can't.....teach. Simple as that.

So does this make you a hypocrite for telling people not to molest chickens? Not pointing fingers here, I'm just saying.

He makes money by stating the patently obvious to fools. Nothing wrong with that.

After watching about 15 minutes of him on youtube I'm wondering how in the hell anyone finds him worthy of attention or money. He went into detail on how credit cards started and how it isn't a good idea to use them. I just wasted 15 minutes. Is there anything else? Why does this strike me like a psuedo-cult fascination?

After watching about 15 minutes of him on youtube I'm wondering how in the hell anyone finds him worthy of attention or money. He went into detail on how credit cards started and how it isn't a good idea to use them. I just wasted 15 minutes. Is there anything else? Why does this strike me like a psuedo-cult fascination?

I just went and did the same thing so that I could see what all the chat is about. I am pretty much feeling the same way. What am I missing? :wacko:

That's exactly right. Ramsey peddles nothing that isn't obvious to anyone with more than two functioning brain cells. People pay him money because they "think" (insofar as any of them think at all) that he'll tell them something magical. Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

There is nothing magical or new about Dave Ramsey's plan. It's all stuff we should know. But most of us need motivation. This is true with business, finances, health, etc. Most of us also need a plan. I'm in great health and always have been...knock on wood. I've always watched what I consumed (expect for snuff) and exercised and lifted weights regularly. I don't need motivation or a book to guide me through that aspect of my life. It's a simple formula, consume less calories than you burn. But a lot of people do need a book and there's nothing wrong with it. They need the motivation and knowledge. The same holds true for finances and budgets. Some of us need motivation for that stuff.

Dave is not all about getting out of debt and not charging items on a credit card. The end result is investing. That's where a lot of people fall short. I'm in that business and I cannot tell you how many 50-60 year olds I see with really nothing set back for retirement. It's sad. That's where I think Dave's plan really helps. To me, it's aimed at the younger couples more than the middle aged.

Dave is not all about getting out of debt and not charging items on a credit card. The end result is investing. That's where a lot of people fall short. I'm in that business and I cannot tell you how many 50-60 year olds I see with really nothing set back for retirement. It's sad. That's where I think Dave's plan really helps. To me, it's aimed at the younger couples more than the middle aged.

Yup - and despite some of the persnickety comments in this thread, I'd bet good money that not a single person around doesn't know a bunch of people that need a financial plan. Americans are known for their consumer debt and lack of savings. My wife and I contributed to that stereotype once upon a time, but have thankfully turned it around thanks in part to the stuff mom and dad said all along - the same stuff Dave Ramsey is sharing with people. :wacko:

Yup - and despite some of the persnickety comments in this thread, I'd bet good money that not a single person around doesn't know a bunch of people that need a financial plan. Americans are known for their consumer debt and lack of savings. My wife and I contributed to that stereotype once upon a time, but have thankfully turned it around thanks in part to the stuff mom and dad said all along - the same stuff Dave Ramsey is sharing with people. :wacko:

What, you mean stuff like "Don't spend more than you earn", "Pay off your credit cards every month", "If you do take out a loan, make sure you can definitely afford the repayments", etc? Complicated stuff like that? Why do people need to pay money to be told the blazingly obvious?

What, you mean stuff like "Don't spend more than you earn", "Pay off your credit cards every month", "If you do take out a loan, make sure you can definitely afford the repayments", etc? Complicated stuff like that? Why do people need to pay money to be told the blazingly obvious?

You, my cynical friend, of all people know the answer to that.

you don't have to pay, the radio and tv are free outlets