[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Long Term Disabilty Insurance

Chavez

Anyone have any experience in this field? Had a client/friend drop a question on me and am going through a remedial LTDI cram session right now. Any insight would be appreciated.

Just from a quick look, I really need to quiz him on his specific situation (I am unsure whether or not he's an employee or contractor, for example) but it looks like it's a form of insurance with a pretty narrow customer base.

Anyone have any experience in this field? Had a client/friend drop a question on me and am going through a remedial LTDI cram session right now. Any insight would be appreciated.

Just from a quick look, I really need to quiz him on his specific situation (I am unsure whether or not he's an employee or contractor, for example) but it looks like it's a form of insurance with a pretty narrow customer base.

Send me a PM, maybe I can help

From my limited experience with it from the perspective of a social worker trying to help families meet their needs...it's terrific but so pricey that very few people actually have it. There's also (IME) a significant lag between the disability and the insurance kicking in -- maybe 6 months? Sometimes it's up to a year, I think. Depends on the policy, etc.

I know more than once I had a family on hospice who's hopes were dashed when they realized their LTC insurance wouldn't kick in in time to be of use to them.

From my limited experience with it from the perspective of a social worker trying to help families meet their needs...it's terrific but so pricey that very few people actually have it. There's also (IME) a significant lag between the disability and the insurance kicking in -- maybe 6 months? Sometimes it's up to a year, I think. Depends on the policy, etc.

I know more than once I had a family on hospice who's hopes were dashed when they realized their LTC insurance wouldn't kick in in time to be of use to them.

Not sure if it's standard, but my LTD kicks in after 6 months. STD covers the first 6 months.

All I know about long-term disability insurance is that my insurance agent and I both laughed out loud when he told me how much it would cost me if I wanted to buy it.

Considering you have a greater chance of becoming disabled versus dying early...what is there to laugh about. I really find it is a matter or prioritization. If you love your family enough to provide for them even if you are disabled....then buy it...if not...don't buy it.

I usually sell 3 year benefit periods, as most people will qualify for Social Security by the time 3 years is up.

Not sure if it's standard, but my LTD kicks in after 6 months. STD covers the first 6 months.

Short term is by far the more important of the two coverages...but also the most expensive...since most disability claims are of this variety.

"Considering you have a greater chance of becoming disabled versus dying early...what is there to laugh about. I really find it is a matter or prioritization. If you love your family enough to provide for them even if you are disabled....then buy it...if not...don't buy it."

Do you tell this line to your customers?

"Considering you have a greater chance of becoming disabled versus dying early...what is there to laugh about. I really find it is a matter or prioritization. If you love your family enough to provide for them even if you are disabled....then buy it...if not...don't buy it."

Seriously. I think I'd toss you out my front door if you rolled up with a line like that. :wacko:

All I know about long-term disability insurance is that my insurance agent and I both laughed out loud when he told me how much it would cost me if I wanted to buy it.

That sucks.

My employer picked up the full cost of LTD this year. :wacko:

Yes....life insurance, disability insurance, and long term care insurance are bought on emotion mostly. They are bought out of love. Do you own life insurance because it pays off more than you put in making it a good investment.....NO. Get real. Of course I say word for word what I said above to my clients becuase it is true. I do not want to work with people who do not love their families...they make HORRIBLE clients.

Considering you have a greater chance of becoming disabled versus dying early...what is there to laugh about. I really find it is a matter or prioritization. If you love your family enough to provide for them even if you are disabled....then buy it...if not...don't buy it.

:wacko: what a crock of sh|t

I do not want to work with people who do not love their families...they make HORRIBLE clients.
I'm guessing you also do not want to work with people who understand cost/benefit analysis. Edited by wiegie

:wacko: what a crock of sh|t

I'm guessing you also do not want to work with people who understand cost/benefit analysis.

Yep...seen many families tore apart by arseholes doing cost benefit analysis. YOu do what you want, but if you can't sleep at night because of some computer model...don't blame me. You can find affordable...way affordable dispay insurance of the 2 to three year variety. Is 60 bucks a month too much to protect your income for your family?

Yep...seen many families tore apart by arseholes doing cost benefit analysis. You do what you want, but if you can't sleep at night because of some computer model...don't blame me.
I sleep just fine at night (in large part because I know that I have made sensible decisions based upon logic rather than emotion).

I sleep just fine at night (in large part because I know that I have made sensible decisions based upon logic rather than emotion).

Then do me a favor...logically stay away from the welfare lines when something not in your cost benefit model shows up. And also, I hope you do a bang up job explaining to your wife and kids why the standard of living they are accustomed to is going to drastically change. Again, I am happy for you....I just would NEVER want you as a client.

Then do me a favor...logically stay away from the welfare lines when something not in your cost benefit model shows up. And also, I hope you do a bang up job explaining to your wife and kids why the standard of living they are accustomed to is going to drastically change. Again, I am happy for you....I just would NEVER want you as a client.

Trust me, I would NEVER want you as an agent.

Go sell fear somewhere else.

I think some of you are confusing long term disability insurance with long term care. Long term care should never be purchased before age 60-65. The risk is not worth the premium. Long term disability is pretty cheap. I think my LTD is $9 a month.

Obviously age has a lot to do with the premium. But if you're under 45, it should be inexpensive.

I think some of you are confusing long term disability insurance with long term care. Long term care should never be purchased before age 60-65. The risk is not worth the premium. Long term disability is pretty cheap. I think my LTD is $9 a month.

Obviously age has a lot to do with the premium. But if you're under 45, it should be inexpensive.

Perhaps the insurance agent I spoke with is an idiot, because I asked for long-term disability and he quoted me some ridiculous amount that was was in no way worth it. If the rates are as low as you and Shiznit say, then I will definitely look into it (because the expected benefits may then indeed outweigh the expected costs).

Pulled that right out of consumer reports....I hope you have good errors and omissions insurance.

I can show you three ways from sunday how buying LTC at age 45 will cost less than waiting till 65 if the hypothetical claim happens at 75. Why would you tell someone who is perfectly healthy...or better yet lets use more damning terms. Why on Earth would an FINANCIAL ADVISOR tell someone who is healthy and could afford to buy the coverage to wait till a time in their life when they could conceivable not be able to qualify for coverage? I call this malpractice and bad advice. My opinion is you offer solutions and let the client choose. Then you document. That way, the expectant heirs cannot sue you for ADVISING clients not to purchase something they may actually need....simply because they do not fit into some preconceived notion you have for appropriate buying timing.