[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Windows Vista

BeeR

Just wondering. I don't have but someone w/new PC does and I don't care for the "improvements" to the interface at all. Also have heard it's buggy (ie typical MS product) and a major resource hog.

So what are the alleged benefits?

I have gotten use to it now but short of wanting to use the new versions of Office, I would have rather remained with XP. It is more stable for me now, but I still prefer XP other than upgrades to Excel and Word in MS Office.

I still prefer XP other than upgrades to Excel and Word in MS Office.

My room mates and I all use Office 2007 on our PC's with XP and it works great, no need for Vista. Unless there's other benefits I'm unaware of?

I have spent a lot of time on Vista though, and like already stated it's buggy and a huge waste of resources. They needed another year of development or so before it was completely ready.

If you can get a new computer with out it, definitely try to IMO. Wait another year or so.

Or just buy a Mac. :wacko:

2 things to try from my tech guy. i tried it and seems to help a little bit.

You can turn off rediboost and superfectch. See if it improves you pc.

If not just turn them back on. DO NOT REMOVE them

In the run prompt type services.msc this will bring up the service GUI

find the services right click them and choose stop.

Just a side note if you do not like them just restart the pc and they

will start automatically. If you want to keep the service off you must

go back into the services GUI and double click the service, once the

new

window opens where it reads "automatic"

set that to "manual". This way the services will not start.

I just got a new PC with Vista. I like the new Media Center but meh on the other upgrades. I dont find that it runs slowly but I got a fast processor and lots of ram so whatever. It does just fine launching mah games and playing mah tunes.

My daughter was over this weekend and was on the desktop catching up on all her Jonas Brothers Youtube action. She said they don't have Youtube at home because they get a message asying they don't have something installed and her mother can't install it for some reason. Does anyone know if this is a Vista thing? I'm guessing she installed it but it was only the setup and she didn't actually "set up"

I have Vista on this laptop but don't use much. I don't use IE at all, in fact it still has the default page on it. I guess I do use it sometimes just to check if something isn't working that it's the site and not a Firefox problem.

My daughter was over this weekend and was on the desktop catching up on all her Jonas Brothers Youtube action. She said they don't have Youtube at home because they get a message asying they don't have something installed and her mother can't install it for some reason. Does anyone know if this is a Vista thing? I'm guessing she installed it but it was only the setup and she didn't actually "set up"

I have Vista on this laptop but don't use much. I don't use IE at all, in fact it still has the default page on it. I guess I do use it sometimes just to check if something isn't working that it's the site and not a Firefox problem.

I think that Youtube just requires Adobe Flash.

I'm pretty much computer illiterate, and really liked my XP Pro, but bought a new system with 3GBs memory and have no problems with speed.

The only thing I hate is the Moneymakers software we use for Friday night poker doesn't let me see anyone's stack but my own. It worked fine on XP. Tim C has the same problem and I'd be willing to bet that his PC has a different OS(Vista?) than XP also.

Or just buy a Mac. :wacko:

Good info here. OS X is way better than Vista.

If you need Windows to run an application, you can re-partition the hard drive on an Intel Mac and install XP. I believe that OS 10.5 comes with the partitioning software for this, and you can download it from Apple's web site if you have an earlier version of OS X.

I just got a new PC with Vista. I like the new Media Center but meh on the other upgrades.
WHAT "upgrades" - ? I guess that's my point ie all I see are interfaces etc that weren't broke and they "fixed" (suck) and alleged security improvement which I don't see that I need as I never had a problem with XP. Even if it wasn't buggy and I didn't hate MS, I don't see what this buys you.

I think that Youtube just requires Adobe Flash.

True, and perhaps the mother does not have admin rights, thus not allowing her to install s/w. Have her check w/ Dad or whoever has admin rights.

A couple of other reasons not to buy Vista......legacy (older) hardware and software. In many cases finding drivers for older hardware ain't gonna happen, as they don't exist and some software won't even run in Vista.