[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

KANSAS WINS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Chief Dick

How about that?

:D:D:brew:

What a comeback. After 20 years of getting kicked in the emotional balls, KU is on the receiving end of good fortune.

I remember the NC in '88. I was 18 at the time. This is pretty cool. :wacko:

It's been 20 years? Wow. Nice win.

If they lower the age to jump to the NBA it will be another 20 years. Simply another case where a team beat themselves in Memphis. All congrats goes to KU though. Well deserved after all of the 1st and 2nd round blowouts they had handed to them in the past.

Step away from the ledge my friend. While UNC and Memphis may have each helped KU in their own ways, part of life is just showing up and Kansas showed up. Sure, if Memphis makes even 2 of 6 from the line down the stretch, they win that game. Of course, KU needed to drain to clutch 3s to make that matter and they did.

KU had the athletes to make UNC pay for their sluggish and sloppy play and the fundamentals to make Memphis pay for their lack of the same. It's really pretty simple.

Sure, if Memphis makes even 2 of 6 from the line down the stretch, they win that game. Of course, KU needed to drain to clutch 3s to make that matter and they did.

Let's not forget coaching/player IQ. If Memphis fouls, KU is in the 1 & 1, thus taking away the final 3 point attempt. Not to mention they had 2 TO's left and could have set up a foul attempt play. However they did come back, and that would not be possible if they didn't have the talent that they have. As I said, all congrats goes to KU, as much I hate to say it.

On another note, how do you feel about the point being taken away? Once a "bad" foul call is made there can be no "instant replay". But if someone questions the player's foot on the line, it's okay? I know Calipari was upset about that. I am in the middle on that one though.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

On another note, how do you feel about the point being taken away? Once a "bad" foul call is made there can be no "instant replay". But if someone questions the player's foot on the line, it's okay? I know Calipari was upset about that. I am in the middle on that one though.

Sounds like the same can of worms opened by being able to review some, but not all, calls in football. At the end of the day, at least in sports, I'd rather have controversy over how they got it right than accept them getting it wrong.

Taking the football example, it seems pretty cut and dry. Fouls, like PI are judgement calls. You don't want to stop the game to allow the zebras to second guess calls. Rather, you want them to be able to see if a guys foot was out of bounds or if the ball popped out before his knee hit. Checking a 3 pt shot vs checking into a foul call seems the same way. The only thing Calapri should have the right to be upset about in that case is if earlier on a similar play didn't get reversed.

I do think there should be some statute of limitations set for how long they can go back. Maybe there is. For instance, imagine if the strategy of the game was affected by such a call. You think you're up by 3, wisely foul to send them to the line with 3 seconds left, the officials then go back and take the point away and you just gave the other team a chance to tie. Now that, would be something worth getting pissed about.

For instance, imagine if the strategy of the game was affected by such a call. You think you're up by 3, wisely foul to send them to the line with 3 seconds left, the officials then go back and take the point away and you just gave the other team a chance to tie. Now that, would be something worth getting pissed about.

Yep, that would cause major problems. Its funny how the things many of us (me too) used against Memphis in our brackets, (Calipari not a real strategist/big game coach, poor free throws due to him not placing an emphasis on it in practice,) did finally come into play at the very end. Its just that either Tx or UCLA was supposed to take advantage of it sooner in a close game. Those games just weren't close enough.

So yes, I think the Tigers pissed it away, but Chalmers stepping up for a Jordan/Kobe-like 3 was huge too. Great player, great game...

Edited by Coffeeman

Let's not forget coaching/player IQ. If Memphis fouls, KU is in the 1 & 1, thus taking away the final 3 point attempt. Not to mention they had 2 TO's left and could have set up a foul attempt play. However they did come back, and that would not be possible if they didn't have the talent that they have. As I said, all congrats goes to KU, as much I hate to say it.

slow down. First of all, everyone loves to say postgame that Memphis or any team should foul with the clock winding down and up by 3 - well, it is not that simple, and it is a very tough call for the most part. Many, many of the top coaches would rather rely on their defense and defend the 3 str8 up, and the percentages are in their favor. The fact is many elite coaches do not foul in this case.

You foul - and you can get a make on the first FT, a crazy bounce on the 2nd and you lose the game.

Point taken away was the absolute right call are you kidding? Rose's foot was so far in front of the line it wasn't even close- that is why replay is there - Cal was tongue in cheek when he talked about it- he wasn't being serious.

The strategy cuts both ways. I recall a UNC-Wake Forest game in the ACC Tournament a few years back, when Wake was up 3 with under 10 to play. They fouled, to avoid the 3 pointer for the tie. UNC hit the first free throw, missed the second, got the rebound and put it back for the tie. UNC won in overtime.

Don't be cute. Just play defense.

Calipari told his guys to foul. He should have taken the TO and made sure that everyone was on the same page, since there was obvious confusion. Why waste the TOs?

Yeah he had a few time outs and could have looked each kid in the eye and told them what he wanted, but a few months back he was on PTI saying free throws weren't that important. In a close game everything's important.