[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saturday night's alright for fighting

budlitebrad

Who ya got?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Hopkins-Calzaghe

• Hopkins by KO
    • Hopkins by decision
    • Calzaghe by KO
    • Calzaghe by decision
  2. 2. GSP-Serra

• GSP
    • Serra

I picked Calzaghe by decision. They are getting announced right now. Hopkins is a freak of nature though. It wouldnt surprise me if he pulled it off. Official pick is Calzaghe though by decision

It went 12 (hopkins/Calzaghe) decision is coming. I think Calzaghe won it despite the first round knock down by hopkins..Good fight

Mac Danzig has lived up to his hype so far. What about Nate Quarry having to chase Kalib Starnes around for 3 rounds, then to see Starnes give Quarry the finger and started saying Eff you F4ggot over and over again to a trainer or someone in the stands...

To be a Canadian at home, fighting against an American and some how manage to have the hometown crowd start booing you and cheering the American is pretty tough... Wow... One thing's for sure...

Starnes and McCarthy both looked like they didn't want to fight, and I don't think either are ready or worthy of fighting at this level.

I was also disappointed with them showing the entrances and commentary of one prelim... Why not cut the fat out and show us all of the preliminaries?

I paid 45 bucks, why not show me as much as possible instead of showing me the fluff and trying to get me to pay an additional $3-4 to watch the fights on their website?

I've watched just about every UFC P-P-V event over the last 3 years and that one last night was one of the worst, if not the worst. Stairnes, McCarthy and Lutter would never get another shot at a P-P-V event again if I was Dana White. Their performance was inexcusable. With the recent onslaught of MMA league's showing up Dana better start putting on some better matchups or he's going to continue to lose viewers. I hate that we pay $50.00 and we get to see 4-5 fights instead of the whole card? Most of the time the undercard fights are the best and we miss 50-60% of them. Hell, I've seen better fights on Spike the last couple weeks for free than I've seen on the last 4-5 PPV events.

I've watched just about every UFC P-P-V event over the last 3 years and that one last night was one of the worst, if not the worst. Stairnes, McCarthy and Lutter would never get another shot at a P-P-V event again if I was Dana White. Their performance was inexcusable. With the recent onslaught of MMA league's showing up Dana better start putting on some better matchups or he's going to continue to lose viewers. I hate that we pay $50.00 and we get to see 4-5 fights instead of the whole card? Most of the time the undercard fights are the best and we miss 50-60% of them. Hell, I've seen better fights on Spike the last couple weeks for free than I've seen on the last 4-5 PPV events.

talent pool seems to be getting thinned out with all these fight promotions everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
talent pool seems to be getting thinned out with all these fight promotions everywhere.

I disagree for the most part. The UFC has a ton of talent from welterweights through light heavyweights... The one weakness they have is massive, and thats the Heavyweights... Frank Mir being a no.1 contender is a joke imo.

Casual fans complain about weak cards, but it's all about evening cards out. There are plenty of good fighters that don't sell PPV's because they don't appeal to the casual fan. Because of this they have to spread out the big name fighters to keep the PPV numbers up. Going in, the Franklin/Lutter fight looked to be good, as Lutter is the only guy that made Anderson Silva look anything less than super-human. And I wouldn't discount Franklin getting out of that arm bar. That was amazing.

Ill Will has the potential to be the best card in my mind, with My favorite fighter taking on steroids, Jardine vs. Silva is massive as if Jardine wins he'll had taken out Liddell AND Silva and has to move into the number 1 contender to Griffin/Jackson. Silva switched teams and can't stand to lose another fight. If he does lose he risks becoming a gatekeeper so to speak. If he knocks of Jardine he'll be vaulted back into a legit contender. Beyond that we get to see Tito Ortiz in his last UFC fight against Machida which is going to be great seeing two guys that are so different.

As far as talent getting thinned out because of all the other fighting promotions... Kimbo Slice isn't a legit fighter in MMA at this point. As we speak there are rumors abound that Forrest knocked him out while sparring. If that's the truth, Kimbo has no chance against someone that actually utilizes kicks. He's too raw, and it's not to say he cant develop, but his hype machine is out of control... Diaz is out of Elite XC for the time being due to drugs, and then you have Robbie Lawler who I love.

Affliction is spending all their money trying to land the big time heavyweights, which is the best angle to take on UFC... Fedor, Silvia, Arlovski and potentially Couture is/would be massive.

No one is watching DREAM, and the IFL is a sinking ship.