[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hockeytown is a farce

Lerxst

Originally posted by Lerxst:

Does anyone else find it completely arrogant of Detroit to have proclaimed themselves this meaningless title?

I think they should have named themselves "Football Town". It would have been just as appropriate as hockeytown.

Well, as the home of an Original Six team, that spent a long time being really really great (a long time ago), and is now great again, I'd say Detroit as much right as anyone to "Hockeytown".

As has been pointed out before, Green Bay's right to call themselves "Titletown" is never questioned . . . if Montreal or Toronto want to sue for "Hockeytown", let 'em.

It's just a silly marketing phrase, anyway.

Peace

policy

I really have no problem with it - the Wings fans are pretty rabid, and supported the Wings through some pretty lean years in the 80s, plus the original six thing, Gordie Howe, etc;

And it's probably better "The Murder City" as far as projecting a good civic image.

But, yeah, if anyplace should be called Hockeytown, it's probably Montreal, given the insane amount of Stanley Cups the Habs have won. Similar to GB being "Titletown" - when some other franchise wins their 12th (or would it be 13? I lose track....) NFL title, they can take the name.

It annoys a lot of people outside of Detroit. You self-proclaim yourself anything, and it will annoy a lot of people.

Technically I guess it's self-proclaimed 'HockeyTown USA'- so Montreal/Toronto, etc. are excluded.

To go into the actual merits of whether it really is 'Hockeytown' would be an exercise in the absurd. But I will say such self-annointment seems really arrogant to me.

Guest Azazello13
Originally posted by Chavez:

But, yeah, if anyplace should be called Hockeytown, it's probably Montreal, given the insane amount of Stanley Cups the Habs have won. Similar to GB being "Titletown" - when some other franchise wins their 12th (or would it be 13? I lose track....) NFL title, they can take the name.

exactly. i mean, if you compare detroit and montreal for instance, detroit can't carry montreal's jock in ANY aspect of being a "hockey town". 3 times as many titles, greater tradition, more hockey passion. at least when green bay calls themselves "titletown", they actually have something they can point to to back it up and there aren't other cities out there with a far greater claim to the label.

Guest Azazello13

i've had arguments with friends about which are more annoying...the fairweather johnny-come-lately, "icing is for cake and when do the cowboys start training camp" dallas stars fans, or wings fans. to me, it's the wings fans hands down. they act like they own the f'n sport. they're rude and arrogant when the wings are winning, and they hide when they're losing. they talk up their team like they're unbeatable, then they boo and b*tch about how bad everyone on the team sucks when the wings do get beat.

but i guess you can't really blame them:

-detroit is the armpit of the country

-high crime, sh*tty weather, industrial filth, labor unions

-their football team is the lions

-their baseball team is the tigers

looks like azazello is getting in his last few sig lines..."I may be hungry, but I sure ain't weird" since he'll be losing his bet to me shortly.

I think there is an error in the title of this post. He meant to say "Hockeytown is a Force", but hit the "a" key rather than the "o". Decades of greatness through the years.. that's HOCKEYTOWN

Originally posted by Azazello13:

i've had arguments with friends about which are more annoying...the fairweather johnny-come-lately, "icing is for cake and when do the cowboys start training camp" dallas stars fans, or wings fans. to me, it's the wings fans hands down. they act like they own the f'n sport. they're rude and arrogant when the wings are winning, and they hide when they're losing. they talk up their team like they're unbeatable, then they boo and b*tch about how bad everyone on the team sucks when the wings do get beat.

Wings fans, don't fret Az is just upset that his Nordiques couldn't finish off LA last night and he had to postpone his victory party. Nevertheless, Red Wings SUCK.

That's funny. I reckon that I know and/or have seen more Red Wings fans that you'll ever care to know, and I haven't seen very many of them that display these qualities. On the contrary, in my experience, Red Wings fans are very knowledgeable about the game and mindful of its history and traditions. From what I have seen, visiting teams fans are treated very well (other than crummy seats)at Joe Louis Arena, even Avalanche fans. It used to be a riot when the Maple Leafs were in town more than a couple times a year, because they have great fans who would bust your balls when the Leafs were winning, but could take the abuse (good natured) they got back when the Leafs were losing. And after what happened in '96, no one over the age of 16 (well perhaps redwings.cup) boasts about the team being unbeatable. About your only accurate statement is that there is a tendency for some fans to get down on the team quickly.

As far as the hockeytown thing goes, I think that most serious fans here in Detroit are either embarassed by it or ignore it. The Red Wings, unfortunately for those of us who do not make any many from them, are a promotional machine.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Furd ]

Do you catch many fish with that lure??

Guest Azazello13
Originally posted by Foosball God:

Do you catch many fish with that lure??

furd's not a bad trophy, if i must say so myself.