[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Draft Contest Discussion

Caveman_Nick

I thought it might be fun to hash out who picked who where and why in the draft contest.

I am not 100% sold on this projection yet, but I have:

1 OT Jake Long (Michigan)

2 DT Glenn Dorsey (LSU)

3 QB Matt Ryan (Boston College)

4 DE Chris Long (Virginia)

5 OT Ryan Clady (Boise State)

6 DE Vernon Gholston (Ohio State)

7 RB Darren McFadden (Arkansas)

8 CB Leodis McKelvin (Troy)

9 DT Sedrick Ellis (USC)

10 OG Branden Albert (Virginia)

11 CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (Middle Ten. St.)

12 OT Jeff Otah (Pittsburgh)

13 DE Derrick Harvey (Florida)

14 WR Devin Thomas (Michigan State)

15 LB Keith Rivers (USC)

I am projecting trades here. I am projecting Dallas to go up and get McFadden from New England. I think the reasons for this are fairly obvious. I am also projecting Carolina to go up and get Albert for New Orleans picks. Albert is projecting to play Tackle at the pro level, although he could play guard as well. I think they hop oer Denver to get their top o-lineman.

Jake Long - Call me nuts. People have always thought Bill Parcells would go for the defensive pick. Tat might normally be true, but Parcells also understands that football games are won in the trenches. For proof, look at the tape of the Giants wrecking the Pats undefeated record in the SB.

Glen Dorsey - I have read plenty about how Dorsey does not fit the Rams needs as much as Gholston or Chris Long....or Jake Long for that matter. He is the best player on the board, though, and at the top of the draft it makes more sense to grab best player over need. If you are drafting in the top 10, you probably need everything.

Matt Ryan - Who believes that the Falcons are going to pass up on the one chance at a Franchise QB in this draft for a defensive player and the chance to draft an OLB? Not me.

Chris Long - Yes, McFadden in the sexy Raider pick. A few things go against that IMO. Their names are Justin Fargas, Lamont Jordan, and Michael Bush. There is plenty of talent in the Raider backfield. What their isn't is the famous son of a very popular famous ex-raider, that by the way fits the draft value and the team needs very nicely. No chance Al takes Gholston over Howie's son.

Ryan Clady - The Chiefs have been a good offensive team for a long time based on running all over their opponents. They have the RB, they just need to get the O-line back. Chiefs football.

Vernon Gholston - This manages to fill a need for the Jets, give Mangini a great fit for his 3-4 defense, and stick it to Bill Belichick all in one pick. It's Christmas in April for the Jets!

McFadden - I can;t say I know what happens to Marion Barber, but right now I am projecting this here because he does not have a contract, and if he does not agree to one by draft day I really like the Cowboys for get McFadden and move Barber.

McKelvin - The Ravens start looking at plan B and Brian Brohm in round 2 with Ryan off the board. McKelvin addresses a need on their defense and makes a strong part of the team stronger.

Sedrick Ellis - The Bengals are real winners here. They never really had a chance to get Dorsey unless they want to really overpay for him. Ellis is the next best thing for them, and what tey wated all along. IF McFadden falls past the Patriots, (IE a Barber deal gets done) I might change this pick to McFadden.

Brandon Albert - How many QBs did the Panthers go through last year? They have a young RB, and have talent at WR. They need someone on 2 feet that can throw the ball downfield. Addressing the o-line is the ticket.

Domanique Rodgers-Cromartie - WR is a common projection here. I can see that, but none of the WRs in this draft class looks worthy of a pick this early. Neither did Lee Evans back in the day, so the Bills could surprise here. But CB is a big hole, and this guy has the talent to fill it.

Jeff Otah - The Broncos o-line has been going downhill for the past few years. THis is the first patch. I would not be surprised to see them draft another lineman in this draft.

Derrick Harvey - Pinning the Saints problems against the available talent is not easy, but every team wants to rush the passer better. Derrick Harvey is a player that fits that need, and nobody else really jumps off the board for the Saints.

Devin Thomas - Berrian is gone. Muhammed is gone. Mark Bradley is IR waiting to happen. Marty Booker is so old he knew Moses personally. Thomas might not be the WR, but I think that is the direction this team goes.

Keith Rivers - I think that if Rivers is here it's a nice scenario for the Lions. I know Limas Swees will look really tasty to them for some reason they can't explain, but Paris Lenon is getting creaky and Rivers is a nice talent. They could use a DT, but any DT on the board would be a big reach.

That's how they stack up for me. How about you?

1-4 Completely agree with Nick on the picks and the reason.

Fifth pick- As long as the Chiefs stay there, I'm fairly certain they'll go o-line. I'm taking an educated guess with which player.

6th- Same as Nick

7th- While there's obvious trade material here with RUN DMC at this spot, I'm not so sure the Pats don't take him for themselves.

8th- The Ravens would love to have Gholston. They're going to take the best LB type player.

9th- Same as Nick. The Bengals will love this pick.

10th- The Saints would like Rivers, but he may be gone. They'll take the top CB on the board.

11th- I hate predicting who the Bills are going to take.

12th- As much as I don't see the Broncos taking offensive linemen in the first round, it's a definite need.

13th- Same as Nick

14th- Bears are going offensive line.

15th- Harvey is gone and so are the offensive linemen. Lions could also go Mayo.

You know what would be an interesting scenario...

If the Chiefs sent Jarred Allen and the #5 to Miami for Jason Taylor and the #1.

I am not sure how that works, but I don't think the Chiefs can do that because Allen has not signed the tender and is therefore a free agent.

Miami - Jake is looking more and more like the pick and is safer than Gholston. It'd be a lot of money for a tweener anyway.

St. Louis - They need a DE bad and take Chris Long.

Atlanta - They have enough ammo to trade back up later for a QB, so I think they go with Dorsey.

Oakland - Al Davis strikes again with DMC.

KC - They move Allen and replace him with Gholston. Any OL would be a reach here.

After the top 5, I have trouble because there is a good chance of some team trading up for Ryan, Ellis or both. I say NO moves up for the DT and Baltimore slides up one for Ryan before Carolina, Detroit, or Chicago get the chance. Jets take the top CB (McKelvin) and the Pats take the pass rusher over a guy like Albert. Cinci settles for Rivers at 9 after missing Ellis.

After the top 10, Bills take DRC since there are no WRs worth the pick and the run on OL starts. Williams could be swapped in for Otah and I wouldn't be shocked if Brohm goes at 13-15.

Anyone interested in increasing the stakes, click here.

I'm not sure why, but there has been little interest in my little contest. Sure, I stand to make a little referral money, but you too can get some free money.

If we can get 25 mockers to sign up, there will be $125 in the pot to be divided by the top 3.

Oh, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie went to Tennesse State, not Middle Tennesse State.

Get in there!!!

Anyone interested in increasing the stakes, click here.

I'm not sure why, but there has been little interest in my little contest. Sure, I stand to make a little referral money, but you too can get some free money.

If we can get 25 mockers to sign up, there will be $125 in the pot to be divided by the top 3.

Oh, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie went to Tennesse State, not Middle Tennesse State.

Get in there!!!

Spammer.

Nick

I completely agree with your top-5 picks...although I've been prediciting that Al would pick McFadden if he's there at #4 the past 4 weeks, the only player who would stop him from picking up the playmaking RB would be the son of a Raider legend. If Chris Long fell to the Raiders at #4, which is becoming more of a possiblity lately with Miami talking to Jake Long, pretty much all Raider fans would rejoice, because he would help solidify a half-way decent defense and would bring the character and attitude that this Raider team has been lacking.

At the 6th spot, I know the Jets like both McFadden and Gholston, but I just dont see them passing up on McFadden. If they passed on McFadden, for Mr Steriods (Gholston), there will be a mini-riot during the draft due to the large presence of Jets fans in attendance.

Of course, if Gholston fell to the 7th spot, like I projected, all the anouncers would praise the Patriots over the next hour or so for being smartest organization in football because of their trade for San Franciso's pick this year...landing a potential top-3 pick at number 7...and they would deserve the praise.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Nick

I completely agree with your top-5 picks...although I've been prediciting that Al would pick McFadden if he's there at #4 the past 4 weeks, the only player who would stop him from picking up the playmaking RB would be the son of a Raider legend. If Chris Long fell to the Raiders at #4, which is becoming more of a possiblity lately with Miami talking to Jake Long, pretty much all Raider fans would rejoice, because he would help solidify a half-way decent defense and would bring the character and attitude that this Raider team has been lacking.

At the 6th spot, I know the Jets like both McFadden and Gholston, but I just dont see them passing up on McFadden. If they passed on McFadden, for Mr Steriods (Gholston), there will be a mini-riot during the draft due to the large presence of Jets fans in attendance.

Of course, if Gholston fell to the 7th spot, like I projected, all the anouncers would praise the Patriots over the next hour or so for being smartest organization in football because of their trade for San Franciso's pick this year...landing a potential top-3 pick at number 7...and they would deserve the praise.

The Jets won't let Gholston fall to the Pats.