[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gun Control Texas-style

DMD

Gun contriol here means being able to shoot with your left hand too...

BREAKING NEWS: Police: Driver Shoots 2 After Attempted Carjacking

POSTED: 2:19 pm CDT April 25, 2008

UPDATED: 2:22 pm CDT April 25, 2008

DALLAS -- Dallas police said a driver shot and critically injured two men who attempted to carjack a vehicle.

Police said the shooting happened Friday afternoon near Cockrell Hill and Interstate 30 in Dallas.

Police said the two injured men were attempting to car jack a vehicle and the driver pulled out a gun and shot both. One man was taken to Parkland Hospital and the other was taken to Methodist.

What does that matter really? I just wish they had been killed.

It matters. If this was just ghetto vigilantism I'm a lot less likely to cheer, compared to if the shooter is an lawful citizen who took the time to comply with the rules and regulations pertaining to his gun ownership.

If this was just ghetto vigilantism I'm a lot less likely to cheer,

Whether or not he had a concealed carry, does it change the answer to these questions?

1) Was he being carjacked?

2) Was he fearful for his life?

3) Did he have the means at hand to defend himself?

I don't think a piece of paper from the state makes a difference until after the event has happened and some lawyer looks for someone to sue. :wacko:

Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., 23, and Channon Gail Christian, 21, were a couple from Knoxville, Tennessee. According to a Tennessee grand jury, they were murdered and both were raped after being kidnapped early on the morning of January 7, 2007. Their vehicle had been carjacked.

No piece of paper will tell me I can't defend myself however I see fit. :wacko:

Hey mom, just in case you want more info on Christian.

Forensic evidence showed that Christian had also been raped vaginally, orally, and anally.[2] [7] One of the suspects, Vanessa Coleman, later told police that, "she witnessed Christian's mouth being cleaned with a bottle of some type of cleaner," in an attempt to remove DNA evidence.[8] Forensic evidence showed significant trauma caused by "an object" to Christian's vagina, anus, and mouth, and that she had died slowly in the trash can, suffocating while wrapped in curtains, sheets, and several trash bags.
Edited by H8tank

I wonder if the driver had a conceal and carry license.

No carry concealed license is needed in Georgia to have a firearm with you in your car. I believe it has to be in a open location such as center console however. I can't see Texas being any more strict.

Oh, and a big :wacko: to this guy for expressing his right to defend his person.

I don't think a piece of paper from the state makes a difference until after the event has happened and some lawyer looks for someone to sue. :wacko:

Its more than just a piece of paper: its an indicia of responsible gun ownership.

Hey, I'm glad the guy defended himself. But if he's using a stolen gun, or is a felon who is prohibited by law from owning one, (or some other similar situation) then I'm a whole less like to pat the guy on the back, is all. I hope he's a stand up citizen, though. I'd hate to see him get into any trouble for doing the same thing I'd have done in the same situation, assuming I drove around with a loaded gun in my car.

Edited by yo mama

It matters. If this was just ghetto vigilantism I'm a lot less likely to cheer, compared to if the shooter is an lawful citizen who took the time to comply with the rules and regulations pertaining to his gun ownership.

There are different rules pertaining to having a firearm in your car versus carrying one on your person in Texas. I know the rule was that if you were traveling beyond your county line, you had the right to carry a firearm in all cases. I know a few friends who travel as a normal course of business and if anyone attempted to carjack them, they would end up with the same results.

I'd have to find out to be sure, but having a firearm in the car is certainly not in violation in all cases.

Carry of handguns "on or about one's person" on foot or in a vehicle is explicitly prohibited by statute. "On or about one's person" has been defined by the Texas courts to include any handgun within arm's reach of an individual whether concealed or open. Under one's seat, on the dash, in the glove compartment or even in the backseat are spatial positions which have been held to be "on or about one's person." Texas law, however, exempts individuals who are carrying handguns for self-protection while traveling across Texas on a "bonafide" journey or engaged in a lawfully related firearm activity such as hunting or target shooting. Although police should not arrest an individual who falls within these exemptions, any doubt as to a person's true intentions could result in a delay or an overnight jail stay. Travelers unable to maintain their classification as "bonafide travelers" should carry their handgun unloaded and cased in the trunk. Texas law contains no prohibition on the transport of loaded rifles and shotguns in vehicles. Such firearms may be carried in plain view anywhere in the vehicle or secured in a commercial gun case or gun rack.

I'd have to find out to be sure, but having a firearm in the car is certainly not in violation in all cases.

And I don't really care so much if it is or isn't. What I'm more curious about was whether this guy was a responsible gun owner or not. I'm hoping he is. I'm just not willing to put some one a pedestal as a shining example of why we have the 2nd Amendment if that person was himself a criminal. Though the carjackers certainly got what they deserved, either way.

Edited by yo mama

BREAKING NEWS: Police: Driver Shoots 2 After Attempted Carjacking

POSTED: 2:19 pm CDT April 25, 2008

UPDATED: 2:22 pm CDT April 25, 2008

DALLAS -- Dallas police said a driver shot and critically injured two men who attempted to carjack a vehicle.

Police said the shooting happened Friday afternoon near Cockrell Hill and Interstate 30 in Dallas.

Police said the two injured men were attempting to car jack a vehicle and the driver pulled out a gun and shot both. One man was taken to Parkland Hospital and the other was taken to Methodist.

Pacman's in town already? :wacko:

I keep a loaded ak with a 30 round clip in the back when I go to Dallas. If something like this ever happens to me there will be quite a crime scene. Fortunately we have no crime here.

I keep a loaded ak with a 30 round clip in the back when I go to Dallas. If something like this ever happens to me there will be quite a crime scene. Fortunately we have no crime here.

Whenever I go out in public, I strap bombs to myself filled with nails and glass. Someone comes near me, I promise you there's gonna be some pretty surprised criminals.