[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kobe wins MVP

Cyclones

Should have been his third MVP award after he carried two godawful teams into the playoffs singlehandedly the last two seasons before this one. Frankly, this season was his least impressive of the last 3. The emergence of Bynum and the robbery of Memphis for Gasol made this year's supporting cast very good.

I like the Lakers to win it all - the Celtics look awfully vulnerable, and the way they tore through the east makes me think none of the eastern teams will be able to hang with the Lakers or Spurs.

If Kobe gets ring 4 this year, he will be in position to win a few more as the Lakers look to be even stronger next season with Bynum around, as he is only going to get better. I think Kobe might be the most underappreciated superstar I can remember in the NBA - the rape thing hurt him, as did the Shaq "feud" and to a lesser extent even this year's preseason whining. The fact is, the guy is a lockdown defender and can score at will unlike anyone since MJ. (LeBron included, as LBJs jumper needs quite a bit of work still.) And, lets not forget, he scored 81 in a game - 55 in the 2nd half. Eighty friggin one!!

:wacko: Kobe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have been his third MVP award after he carried two godawful teams into the playoffs singlehandedly the last two seasons before this one. Frankly, this season was his least impressive of the last 3. The emergence of Bynum and the robbery of Memphis for Gasol made this year's supporting cast very good.

I like the Lakers to win it all - the Celtics look awfully vulnerable, and the way they tore through the east makes me think none of the eastern teams will be able to hang with the Lakers or Spurs.

If Kobe gets ring 4 this year, he will be in position to win a few more as the Lakers look to be even stronger next season with Bynum around, as he is only going to get better. I think Kobe might be the most underappreciated superstar I can remember in the NBA - the rape thing hurt him, as did the Shaq "feud" and to a lesser extent even this year's preseason whining. The fact is, the guy is a lockdown defender and can score at will unlike anyone since MJ. (LeBron included, as LBJs jumper needs quite a bit of work still.) And, lets not forget, he scored 81 in a game - 55 in the 2nd half. Eighty friggin one!!

:wacko: Kobe

Homer or not, I'm sorry but the wrong guy is getting this award because he is from LA. He should already have one but the fact is Paul did more with less this season and the Hornets only came up a game short of the top spot in the West.

Also I dont think anyone should assume that the Spurs will be moving on to play the Lakers in the West final.

It's pretty easy to argue this either way, but I'll go with Kobe. The numbers are comparable, but he's had less to work with than Paul and finished first in the West. Plus he's a better defender.

You are kidding, right?

The Lakers have been dealing with injuries all season. Bynum's been out for months and Gasol has only been there since February. Paul had West (all-star), Chandler, and Peja the entire season.

The main reason that the Lakers are considered the favorite out of the west is that the supporting cast is so much stronger than the Hornets. No way in hell Kobe had less to work with!

ETA; We had Allstars because the game was here. West was worthy at the break and of course Paul but nobody else! West wouldn't even have got the nod had it not been here!

Edited by tbimm

The main reason that the Lakers are considered the favorite out of the west is that the supporting cast is so much stronger than the Hornets. No way in hell Kobe had less to work with!

ETA; We had Allstars because the game was here. West was worthy at the break and of course Paul but nobody else! West wouldn't even have got the nod had it not been here!

I agree. Paul had a lot less to work with than Kobe did. Paul should have been the MVP for leading his team the way he did. The guy averaged a double, double! :wacko:

I agree. Paul had a lot less to work with than Kobe did. Paul should have been the MVP for leading his team the way he did. The guy averaged a double, double! :wacko:

I think his play-off performance so far has been amazing. Granted against an old Mavs team that was done before the series started but Pauls #'s were MVP like. They voted before the play-offs so I understand those #'s not being considered.

Scott got COY so I am happy that some recognition was thrown our way and I won't bitch anymore about Paul being slighted. He did lose out to IMO the best player in the game so........

and in no way , shape or form , should kobe have had 3 mvp's by now as indicated in initial thread ...not even close

Kobe is super talented but was not a leader , was not a player that had made players around him better , he took way too many shots and did not make the lakers anything close to resembling winners

Duncan , Nash and now Paul fit those descriptions over past few seasons ...not Kobe ..this year Kobe did alot more to earn MVP honors but i stilll believe it should have went to Paul

I'm just not convinced that Paul did more with less. They had an easier schedule and other than Gasol, I'd take the Hornets supporting cast over the oft-injured Lakers. The Lakers were beating up on the West way before Pau got there anyways.

And if he's so good, why does he constantly get owned by Deron Williams every time they play the Jazz? :wacko:

and in no way , shape or form , should kobe have had 3 mvp's by now as indicated in initial thread ...not even close

Kobe is super talented but was not a leader , was not a player that had made players around him better , he took way too many shots and did not make the lakers anything close to resembling winners

Duncan , Nash and now Paul fit those descriptions over past few seasons ...not Kobe ..this year Kobe did alot more to earn MVP honors but i stilll believe it should have went to Paul

So you think Kobe should have zero MVP's up to this point?

:wacko:

You should take my (and the known universe's) word for it. He did.

Nuh uh.

Kobe was the most consistent and the Lakers didn't struggle as much as NO did down the stretch, which I'm sure stuck in the voters' heads. Beating the Hornets a couple weeks back sealed it for him.

Edited by budlitebrad

I would contend that he's the same A-Hole on the court.

A-hole on the court shouldn't have much to do with how good of a player he is which is mostly what the MVP is about. That said, I don't like to defend him because I dislike what I know about his persona (I don't know him personally so who knows what he's really like...).

CP3 and Kobe both deserved it.

The thing is with the NBA- the MVP is always given a year later, I hate it - but that is the way the league works. You just cant ignore the fact that Kobe probably deserved it in prior years, and they are rewarding him now. CP3 has his breakout year- watch him win it in the future.

make no mistake, a hole or not, Kobe is the best player in the NBA. period.

my voting would be

Kobe

CP3

KG

Lebron

So you think Kobe should have zero MVP's up to this point?

:wacko:

I do. This is the first year he truly deserved it. I understand the arguments for CP3 but think Kobe won it because this is the first year he actually made his teammates better instead of bitching about his supporting cast.

This is wrong on so many levels - the main reason the Lakers are favored to come out of the West is the fact that they have Kobe, the best player in the NBA - period.

I'll tell you what, TBimm, I'll give you Luke Walton and Sash Vujacic, and you give me David West and Peja Stojacavic. You think the Hornets would be in contention then?