[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Financial hypothetical

MojoMan

Huddlers,

This guy's primary residence was purchased in November 2006. Property values have declined in the area since he bought. If one had to guess, this guy could probably net around $400K when he paid $515K for the place a year and a half ago.

No, the guy is not upside down. He said he wanted to have relatively low payments so, apparently, the current principal is about $165K. So, if liquidated, the capital loss would be in the range of $115 and net would be around $235. I'm pretty sure there he has no other debt, just the mortgage.

His fiance wants to buy a place together. Together they have a pretty decent income, I'm guessing around $350. She owns a place too but would come out about even, assuming what he told me is correct. I don't know that much about her place. They probably have about $150K cash for a down payment right now (without either person liquidating their house).

Loan question: This guy told me that his loan chica said that the loan amount would be predicated on the amount of cash available for a down payment. Therefore, if they have $150, they could get a loan for $750. I thought the amount of debt they're carrying is VERY relevant. With ~$400 in debt (his and hers) they won't get that kind of a loan. True or false?

Finance question: We hypothesized what happens if I'm right and, because of his debt, he's gonna need to liquidate his place to buy a decent place, this guy is telling me that it's OK to take a huge capital loss (net would be ~$115 although he could write it off so it's more like $70K). He said that there are financial analysts who say that the opportunity to buy a higher value place in a depressed market should offset the capital loss because the higher value place will appreciate well. That sounds like bunk to me. The argument makes some logic but I would assume that that is a crapshoot at best.

Discuss.

I don't think he could write off the loss. If this was his personal residence....and not an investment property.....me thinks he cannot write off any depreciation. I think he needs to hold on to his house until values come up.

However, if he bought another house with his fiance......and lived there for 2 of the last 5 years(or something like that) then that would turn it into an investment property and not a personal residence. However, the qeustion would then become one of valuation. Would the value of the properties cost basis be what he has in it....or would it be the value at the time of asset reclassification. Also, he can't just take a write off of capital losses with no capital gains to offset those losses. We need a CPA in here to straigten this out!

Edited by TheShiznit

The ability to get a loan will be based on credit scores and debt/income ratios. That ratio will take into account the down payment but not be a hugh factor. Financing more than 80% would be costly though from an interest rate standpoint even if their income would support it. As MrTed said they should be good.

I'm pretty sure you can't write off the capital loss on a primary mortgage unless it's over a certain amount much like you don't have to pay taxes on the gain below a certain amount. He could rent it for the next 5 years and if values haven't recovered write off the loss when selling it then but that depends on whether he wants to be a slumlord or not.

JMO (not my life), but with that level of income you keep both and rent one. You start saving and looking, and when you find the right opportunity you buy the third and rent the second.

There's no need to take losses like that. Being a land lord might be a pain, but if that's what deters you then hire a MGMT company to take care of everything.