[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why can't I find a transcript of Obama's speech in Portland, OR?

westvirginia

I had gone to bed, guys.

Please notice I was looking to VERIFY in my original post. I googled several different ways and couldn't find a transcript.

As you all know, I don't like any of them. It just gets my ire up that a president, who swears an oath to the constitution, cares what other nations think. We use 25% of the worlds energy (if that's true - it's what's been bandied about) because we can afford to. When market conditions dictate we can no longer afford to, then we won't. And it looks like they're starting to. I have NEVER paid any attention to the fuel mileage of a vehicle before the last one we bought, so it's affecting me. I'm not crying about it, I'm adjusting my purchases. C'est la vie.

I had gone to bed, guys.

Please notice I was looking to VERIFY in my original post. I googled several different ways and couldn't find a transcript.

As you all know, I don't like any of them. It just gets my ire up that a president, who swears an oath to the constitution, cares what other nations think. We use 25% of the worlds energy (if that's true - it's what's been bandied about) because we can afford to. When market conditions dictate we can no longer afford to, then we won't. And it looks like they're starting to. I have NEVER paid any attention to the fuel mileage of a vehicle before the last one we bought, so it's affecting me. I'm not crying about it, I'm adjusting my purchases. C'est la vie.

Se there, that's what's wrong with Bush(McCain) in a very succinct nutshell.

We HAVE to care what other nations think, in the global geo-econo-politcal climate.

Bush (McCain) just doesn't get it.

Edited by cre8tiff

Gotta wonder where the truncated sound bite WV originally mentioned came from. Some right wing radio propaganda artist quick off the mark?

Yep - came from Boortz.com He usually puts links to his sources in there, but there wasn't one with this one. Wonder why???

Yep - came from Boortz.com He usually puts links to his sources in there, but there wasn't one with this one. Wonder why???

probably the same source that constantly forgets to add the adjective that mrs. Obama used to demonstrate he level of proudness.

It just gets my ire up that a president, who swears an oath to the constitution, cares what other nations think.

:wacko:

You're reaching.

One of the most effective qualities to have in a leadership position as a "decider" is gauging other people's perspectives. To intentionally turn your blinders towards what other people are seeing and thinking is extremely foolhardy.

How much does a beer cost at your local ball park? Seems like its around $6 these days for me. Anyways, I'll bet you a donut it costs more than $4 (i.e., the price of a gallon of gas). Seems like a pretty incontrovertible point: product A costs more/less than product B. No real controversy there.

I'm just :wacko: b/c I have no idea what the 4 or 5 beers I buy at the ballpark every year has to do with the raping I'm getting at the gas pumps twice a week.

I'm just :wacko: b/c I have no idea what the 4 or 5 beers I buy at the ballpark every year has to do with the raping I'm getting at the gas pumps twice a week.

It's kind of a perspective thingy.....people don't bitch about paying $1.50 for a liter of bottled water.

My point is that the cost of gas is still much less than the cost of other, largely optional goods. Beer is just one example. Plus, I simply don't understand the average American's outrage at the recent increases in gas prices, as if there was some contractual guarantee that prices would stay low forever. Its a commodity, were a capitalistic nation, were in an inflationary economy, and prices fluctuate. We're not getting raped; we're merely experiencing market forces.

Edited by yo mama

My point is that the cost of gas is still much less than the cost of other, largely optional goods. Beer is just one example. Plus, I simply don't understand the average American's outrage at the recent increases in gas prices, as if there was some contractual guarantee that prices would stay low forever. Its a commodity, were a capitalistic nation, were in an inflationary economy, and prices fluctuate. We're not getting raped; we're merely experience market forces.

He shoots, he scores.

Selective capitalism never ceases to amaze me.

Peanut oil, which was already more expensive than gas, and something that my restaurant uses a bunch of doubled overnight a few months ago.

Peanut oil, which was already more expensive than gas, and something that my restaurant uses a bunch of doubled overnight a few months ago.

Translation- The money that we spend at the pumps mean eventually your Chi Gio or calamari may cost a little more if you come to my restaurant. And this may hold true to that expensive beer at the ball park.

Damn humans and their damn oil...

He shoots, he scores.

Selective capitalism never ceases to amaze me.

Me too! Look around and you will see that most of those complaining about the cost of gas are the same ones that want government to do everything for everyone. I have no problem with gas prices rising the way they have. It only makes sense that they would particularly with the growth in Asia.

Me too! Look around and you will see that most of those complaining about the cost of gas are the same ones that want government to do everything for everyone. I have no problem with gas prices rising the way they have. It only makes sense that they would particularly with the growth in Asia.

I'd have a problem if consumers were being gouged, but I don't see anything to support that kind of claim (yet). The price of gas is closely tied to the price of oil, and the price of oil is at an all-time high. There's lots of reasons for that phenomenon, but its tough to blame gas stations for charging more at the pump when the costs for the raw materials to make that gasoline have skyrocketed. If anything, were lucky that the price of gas has not increased (percentage wise) as steeply as the price of oil over the last 5 years.

I'd have a problem if consumers were being gouged, but I don't see anything to support that kind of claim (yet). The price of gas is closely tied to the price of oil, and the price of oil is at an all-time high. There's lots of reasons for that phenomenon, but its tough to blame gas stations for charging more at the pump when the costs for the raw materials to make that gasoline have skyrocketed. If anything, were lucky that the price of gas has not increased (percentage wise) as steeply as the price of oil over the last 5 years.

Please define "gouge" in this instance. It's kinda like greed - not define-able. If the market will bear it, the market will bear it. THAT is capitalism.

We used to have people rent trucks in the ATL area and take loads of plywood/OSB, whatever down to FL everytime a hurricane was emminent. One guy would get over $50/sheet for 7/16" pine stuff, like $8 here at home depot. I have no problem with that. But FL's government decided to stop the "price gouging" so these guys just don't take the plywood down there. As a result, homeowners can't get it and insurance claims increase.

Like SuperChargers has said, most people truly don't want to be free, unless its free from the consequences of bad decisions.

Me too! Look around and you will see that most of those complaining about the cost of gas are the same ones that want government to do everything for everyone.

I don't think that's necessarily true. In my (limited) experience most of the biggest whiners are on the right. Those of us tending left see it as a great opportunity to develop alternative fuels faster.

I don't think that's necessarily true. In my (limited) experience most of the biggest whiners are on the right. Those of us tending left see it as a great opportunity to develop alternative fuels faster.

Actually I think it is a great opportunity for us to develop alternative fuels as well. There is an interesting article about it in this month's Forbes.

Look around and you will see that most of those complaining about the cost of gas are the same ones that want government to do everything for everyone.

I'm kind of thinking that people complaining about gas prices aren't really defined by a political philosophy. I'm guessing the complaints are generally coming from people who would prefer to pay less money for gas. My statement may be a blatant stereotype that doesn't hold true, but I'm sticking to it.

Edited by bushwacked

I'm kind of thinking that people complaining about gas prices aren't really defined by a political philosophy. I'm guessing the complaints are generally coming from people who would prefer to pay less money for gas. My statement may be a blatant stereotype that doesn't hold true, but I'm sticking to it.

Freakin; liberals, conservatives, libertarians, greens, etc. wanting to pay less for gas! :wacko:

Freakin' bushwhacker stereotyping people! :D

Where's Chuck Norris when you need him?