[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Daycare

Double Agent

Amazing. :shakeshead:

People exclaiming how their kids are better off in day care then they are at home. Obviously I am in the minority when I believe that a child benefits the most when they are actually raised by their parents.

Totally depends on the quality of the parents. I'll wager there's a depressingly large population of kids out there who'd be better of with strangers raising them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate the replies. All in all, I think we're making the right decision. We could continue to have my mother in law be his nanny but I really think he needs to be in the classroom setting a few days out of the week. We'll continue to have my MIL watch him once or twice a week.

My boy is a great child. But I've noticed over the last 6 months that he's really independent. And that's not a bad thing, but he really doesn't play with other kids because he's never been around them. He used to socializing with adults and doing his own thing. I hope a few days a week of daycare helps. Another plus is this daycare teaches Spanish. I really want him to become bilingual if possible.

If it doesn't work out, I'll find something that does. Being self-employed allows me to spend a lot of time with him.

I think there has to be a "mix" or some common ground between daycares / preschools / stay at home parents. My son is an only child and I've worked nights since he was born to be home with him during the day. He's very loving, sensitive, and well mannered. BUT.... we noticed some definate delay in his speech and motor skills after a few years and realized that we needed to get him into some interaction. We researched and placed him in a very coveted christian preschool 3 days a week. It was the best thing we have ever done for him IMO. He's blossomed into a really great kid and right on track to enter kindergarten this fall.

My sister in law is a single mom who has to send her daughter to a daycare. It's just basically supervised playtime with meals thrown in. She's a good little girl, but she's also very aggressive, possessive, and a bit of a bully. She also throws off the scale tantrums. Definately not the environment I would choose to place my kid in.

My point is that you can find very nuturing environments for your kids outside of your home. My son's best friends are the ones from his preschool class, and the parents that we've met are tremendous people.

Keep an open mind to all things that can be beneficial to your kids. We as parents may be the best thing, but we're not the only thing.

Totally depends on the quality of the parents. I'll wager there's a depressingly large population of kids out there who'd be better of with strangers raising them.

:wacko:

Well said.

I do have to say that all things being equal, the difference between the behavior of my day-care goin' daughter around other children versus the behavior of our good friend's "HELL NO, we aren't putting her in daycare!" daughter is startling, to say the least.

My friend's daughter basically gets so excited at seeing another baby that she crawls up on Rory, screams in her face, and paws/claws at her eyes and ears. It's like "calm down, kid." Even if we had the option of having one of us stay at home, ideally we'd have her in daycare for two or more half-days a week.

So who is more prepared to instill your beliefs, ethics, and moral values in your child? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

Who is most interested in the health and welfare of your child? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

Who is best prepared and most interested in providing comfort and nurturing to your child? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

Who do you want to make the biggest impression on your child in their formative years? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

When you have an institution raise your child you shouldn't be surprised when your child doesn't value your input and is less inclined to obey your rules. When you become a parent your PRIMARY responsibility is to your children. If you aren't prepared to make the necessary sacrifices to be a parent then you shouldn't have children.

So this is where some will say that their child is only in day care during the day's working hours and you have all evening to spend together. Lets do the math. Get up in the morning, get ready for work/daycare, 10 hours in day care, get home, eat dinner, spend 5 minutes with your kid, put them to bed. That is some real quality time there. :wacko:

And you don't have to excommunicate your child from your home for most of their waking hours to develop their social skills. Of course you can't veg out at the house 24x7 and expect them to develop socialization skills either.

So who is more prepared to instill your beliefs, ethics, and moral values in your child? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

Who is most interested in the health and welfare of your child? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

Who is best prepared and most interested in providing comfort and nurturing to your child? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

Who do you want to make the biggest impression on your child in their formative years? You, the parent, or some 3rd party whose primary interest and the only reason for their involvment is the check you write to them each week.

When you have an institution raise your child you shouldn't be surprised when your child doesn't value your input and is less inclined to obey your rules. When you become a parent your PRIMARY responsibility is to your children. If you aren't prepared to make the necessary sacrifices to be a parent then you shouldn't have children.

So this is where some will say that their child is only in day care during the day's working hours and you have all evening to spend together. Lets do the math. Get up in the morning, get ready for work/daycare, 10 hours in day care, get home, eat dinner, spend 5 minutes with your kid, put them to bed. That is some real quality time there. :wacko:

And you don't have to excommunicate your child from your home for most of their waking hours to develop their social skills. Of course you can't veg out at the house 24x7 and expect them to develop socialization skills either.

This really depends on the parent staying home with the child. I have coached young children who stayed home with mom or dad before attending school. Many were very shy and lacked confidence. I understand your stance, but I do not agree completely with it.

Get up in the morning, get ready for work/daycare, 10 hours in day care, get home, eat dinner, spend 5 minutes with your kid, put them to bed. That is some real quality time there. :wacko:

Is that what you did while your wife watched the kids?

That's not what my day looks like.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about this the other day, and came to what I found to be a humorous conclusion -

- the monster truck aficionado-nozzle arguing against me putting my kid in day-care because my kid won't be instilled with my "beliefs, ethics, and moral values" would probably be THRILLED if my kids didn't get those from me, since I think fags and dykes are actual human beings and crazy stuff like that.

I was thinking about this the other day, and came to what I found to be a humorous conclusion -

- the monster truck aficionado-nozzle arguing against me putting my kid in day-care because my kid won't be instilled with my "beliefs, ethics, and moral values" would probably be THRILLED if my kids didn't get those from me, since I think fags and dykes are actual human beings and crazy stuff like that.

I kinda wish his kids were in daycare, but then I think of the Alex P Keaton effect, where your kids are going to eventually rebel against everything you believe in anyway.

If you think you are making your kid better by someone staying at home you are wrong. That decision is all about the parents and what makes them happy. The kids will turn out great either way.

Pretty much dead-on.

Perhaps the most ridiculous post every written on The Huddle. And that is really saying something.

And this coming from a dad who has raised four kids at home with his stay-at-home wife.

I remeber my 1st day of American school. It was 1st grade and my Dad wanted to walk me to school and come into class with me. I of course wanted to show him how big I was so I had him drop me off at the class room door and went on in by myself. I was the only kid who didn't have a parent with him. That was like 1978. I've felt guilty about that since the instant my 1st daughter was born.

Sometimes things are more about the parents than the kids.

My wife stays home with the kids. That's our choice (which comes at great financial expense). I don't consider sending kids to daycare so one can afford Denalis and all-inclusive trips to Cozumel as ideal but people have to eat, pay the rent and so on.

Never used daycare. My wife did work part-time though and an older friendoif ours watched our kids. She was like a grandmother to them. They were not usually left more than 4 hrs a day. Later we sent them to a Montesorri School. They were able to interact with other kids and it was a great learning enviroment.