[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL vs NBA

dmarc117

how is nba more popular then nhl? did the walkout hurt hockey that bad? imo hockey is more exciting to watch then basketball any day. especially the playoffs!!

People don't understand hockey, not to mention 80% of the players are from outside of the U.S. and everyone has played basketball before whether in your backyard, at the park, on your 5th grade team, whatever. Not many people have played hockey, especially in the midwest (is Kansas, OK, etc...)

I prefer hockey at this point but that has a lot to with the Wings and the fact that two of my boys play hockey and I help coach. Since my 7 year old started I have really enjoyed the game even more. I coach basketball too but I just don't enjoy it as much and part of that is the Pistons. I still root for the team pretty hard core, possibly even going to game 6 on Friday Night but I'm tired of this team. I know that is sad but unfortunately true a bit. I love Sheed for the most part but do you need to hug KG at the end of each game? This is war (term used loosely) and losing a close game 5 should make you angry. With so much money involved these days I don't think winning and losing matters as much anymore. Even the announcers referenced the old Celtics / Pistons days and the series (plural) they had, it's not even close, those were ball games. At the end of the series if you lose, smack the guy on the asz and tell him to go get the Lakers, take it to them. If the Stones lose Chauncey, start Stuckey and fine tune other areas I will be more juiced next year. Sorry Polk.

That's my take.

Of the four "major" sports, hockey is the one that is less mainstream and more of a "specialty" sport. If you didn't play it, there is less of a chance that you're going to be a diehard fan. Same goes for golf, tennis, soccer (definitely), volleyball, etc. There are diehard fans out there in all of those sports, but they're more likely to have played it at some point, which is what made them interested in the first place. I think there are a lot of baseball, basketball, and football fans who may have never played the sport competitively themselves. There is enough coverage in different forms of media for people to become huge fans, even without the personal experience that they can relate to.

Perfect example: MMA. I had never even heard of it until a couple of years ago. The sport didn't get enough coverage for the average sports fan to know much about it. In the last couple of years, the sport has literally blown up. Not only pay-per-view, but also on Spike, Versus, and even CBS this Saturday. In two years, I've gone from knowing absolutely nothing about it to having it become one of my favorite sports to watch. That's because it's become more popular and now gets more TV time than all of the above (leaving out the big 3, of course), with the exception of MAYBE golf. Certainly more than tennis, soccer, and probably even hockey. Bottom line - I never fought competitively, and would not follow it at all if it wasn't for the fact that it's now available to watch through several different networks. In a nutshell, exposure helps feed, if not create, the fan base for any given sport.

The other factor is that basketball and football are somewhat more popular because you can watch future players in college, and a lot of them are even hyped up in high school. College hockey is not as popular and doesn't get the coverage, and the NHL has a very high percentage of European players as well.

People don't understand hockey, not to mention 80% of the players are from outside of the U.S. and everyone has played basketball before whether in your backyard, at the park, on your 5th grade team, whatever. Not many people have played hockey, especially in the midwest (is Kansas, OK, etc...)

I prefer hockey at this point but that has a lot to with the Wings and the fact that two of my boys play hockey and I help coach. Since my 7 year old started I have really enjoyed the game even more. I coach basketball too but I just don't enjoy it as much and part of that is the Pistons. I still root for the team pretty hard core, possibly even going to game 6 on Friday Night but I'm tired of this team. I know that is sad but unfortunately true a bit. I love Sheed for the most part but do you need to hug KG at the end of each game? This is war (term used loosely) and losing a close game 5 should make you angry. With so much money involved these days I don't think winning and losing matters as much anymore. Even the announcers referenced the old Celtics / Pistons days and the series (plural) they had, it's not even close, those were ball games. At the end of the series if you lose, smack the guy on the asz and tell him to go get the Lakers, take it to them. If the Stones lose Chauncey, start Stuckey and fine tune other areas I will be more juiced next year. Sorry Polk.

That's my take.

I agree, especially the bolded part. Losing doesn't hurt as much when you have tens of millions of dollars to make up for it. For the most part, these guys laugh and joke with each other after the games because they know they're pulling one over on the rest of society with the money that they make, and the fact that they are able to get away with pretty much anything and still save face because they're athletes. I'm not saying EVERY pro athlete feels that way, but I think many of them do.

The lock out killed hockey, especially among my age (17). I am beginning to hate basketball because I think it's such a less talent and physical sport than football.

What does this mean? Football requires more talent? :wacko: Obviously, football involves more physical contact, but that's not really a new development. Just curious why someone would "hate" basketball. Either you like it, or you don't. But, hate it because of something that has always been the case (the physical nature of FB).... As far as the talent part, if that's what you did mean, I would have to say that I disagree.

The lock out killed hockey, especially among my age (17). I am beginning to hate basketball because I think it's such a less talent and physical sport than football.

moran

right.....................both football and basketball takes tremendous athletic ability- NBA players are the best athletes on the planet IMO

. While there are NFL and NBA players who have and do excell at both- I think there are more NBA players that could cross over into the NFL than vice-versa. Ask Randy Moss and T Gonzalez how hoops takes les talent....

back to the argument :wacko: NHL and hockey has fallen to probably the #5 overall sport in the US with golf and auto racing passing it.

I read a report recently that with Yao Ming and all the other foreign NBA ballers, basketball is in the process of overtaking soccer as the most played sport on the planet

It's low scoring, it's on the VS network, and it just doesn't pull in "casual" fans like the NBA.

What he said, plus hockey is a game that is by far best enjoyed live whereas the other 3 major sports can really be enjoyed on TV almost as much (if not more at times) on TV.

Edited by TDFFFreak

accessibility. anyone can go to a local playground and play some hoops... not a lot of cost needed to participate. tv exposure. higher profile players (whom a lot of the public can identify with).

and i agree that nba players tend to be some of the best athelets in the world..... :wacko: golf and nascar are not sports :D