[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Noah Herron batting 1.000

DMD

Someone picked the wrong house to rob...

Green Bay RB Herron foils burglary with bed post

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Green Bay Packers running back Noah Herron thwarted a would-be burglar by hitting him with a bed post during a break-in at his home.

Brown County Sheriff Dennis Kocken said Tuesday that the break-in happened late last Friday and the injured the intruder remained hospitalized but is expected to recover.

"Noah Herron used necessary, reasonable and justifiable force in protecting his life and property," Kocken said in a statement. "Herron, the victim in this random home invasion, is cooperating with law enforcement."

Herron, 26, missed all of last season with a knee injury.

Chief Deputy John Gossage said Herron called police at 11:19 p.m. Friday after he heard glass breaking in the lower level of his suburban Green Bay home. He said an unknown number of people had entered the house.

One of the intruders entered Herron's bedroom, and Herron hit the person with a post he had unscrewed from his bed, Gossage said. Herron was not injured.

The injured burglar was taken to a hospital, and a second suspect was arrested outside the home, Gossage said.

Stolen property and a vehicle believed taken earlier Friday from another home were found near Herron's home, Gossage said. The two people in custody are suspects in numerous burglaries and home invasions throughout Brown County, he said.

Pittsburgh took Herron in the seventh round of the 2005 draft out of Northwestern. The Packers signed him off the Steelers' practice squad in 2005.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson released a statement Tuesday, saying the team knew about the break-in and had no comment.

Good for him. Seems like he is one of the few athletes that does not own a handgun. Man, that must have been a great feeling, bashing an intruder like that.

One question...he "unscrewed the bedpost?" Where does he get his furniture, Ikea? :wacko:

Noah Herron used necessary, reasonable and justifiable force in protecting his life and property," Kocken said in a statement.

As opposed to-? What the ???? IMO If he had blown the guys' head off, he used necessary, reasonable and justifiable force. You break into someone's home, what are they supposed to do? Just assume you mean them no harm? Try not to hurt you too much while defending their family's lives?

As opposed to-? What the ???? IMO If he had blown the guys' head off, he used necessary, reasonable and justifiable force. You break into someone's home, what are they supposed to do? Just assume you mean them no harm? Try not to hurt you too much while defending their family's lives?

+1

After what happened with Sean Taylor, Herron acted with remarkable restraint, IMO.

Let's say Herron knocked the guy unconscious. If he had then continued to cave the intruder's head in until he died, that *extra* force would not have been necessary, reasonable, or justifiable because it would not have been needed to protect either himself or his property.

"Self defense" has its limits... except in Texas.

Let's say Herron knocked the guy unconscious. If he had then continued to cave the intruder's head in until he died, that *extra* force would not have been necessary, reasonable, or justifiable because it would not have been needed to protect either himself or his property.

You break into someone's house you deserve to have your skull crushed in.

You break into someone's house you deserve to have your skull crushed in.

Herron did the right thing: he defended himself and his property with as much force as he felt was necessary to neutralize the threat. If he hadn't stopped after the threat was neutralized he might have wound up catching a murder charge.

Herron did the right thing: he defended himself and his property with as much force as he felt was necessary to neutralize the threat. If he hadn't stopped after the threat was neutralized

Prove it. :wacko:

Seriously IMO that's questionable logic at best - I know it's a "slippery slope" going in either direction, but generally I think breaking into someone's home is like yelling "I hereby waive my rights." Necessary? Maybe not. Reasonable and justifiable? Hell yes. GDB our legal system. It galls me how when someone breaks into someone else's home and ends up like this guy, people immediately wonder about the poor criminal. Got your skull crushed in because you broke into someone's home? Boo hoo.

Breaking into someone's home while there are there is inherently a dangerous situation - far more than merely burgulary. If someone breaks into my house while I am there, I am always going to assume they are there to cause me bodily harm because they have to know no one is going to stand by and allow them to pilfer through the house. The assumption that they are there to hurt you is the only reasonable one to make.

From JSOnline.com:

--While many people are touting Noah Herron as a brave hero, the reality is the 26-year-old remains pretty shaken up by the May 30 incident in which he fought off intruders who entered his house with a bedpost. Herron did attend and participate in practice but did not want to speak publicly about the incident, nor did quarterback Aaron Rodgers, his close friend.

"The Noah Herron situation is obviously very tough," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy. "It is an ongoing investigation as we know. It is a very tough situation and we've talked a lot about it as a football team. Noah is going through a tough time and we're supportive of him. That was a tough situation and he handled it probably as best he could. It's a tough time."

Breaking into someone's home while there are there is inherently a dangerous situation - far more than merely burgulary. If someone breaks into my house while I am there, I am always going to assume they are there to cause me bodily harm because they have to know no one is going to stand by and allow them to pilfer through the house. The assumption that they are there to hurt you is the only reasonable one to make.

I agree 100%. My only point is that once you've neutralized the threat, assuming the threat is still breathing, "finishing the job" is not legally protected as self-defense. But Lynch would have been equally in the right if he'd killed the guy with the first blow.

Edited by yo mama

My only point is that once you've neutralized the threat, assuming the threat is still breathing, "finishing the job" is not legally protected as self-defense.

+1 but when the adrenaline starts pumping, it's not an easy thing to cut off. I don't think it's an excuse, but when you don't know what a guy is gonna do and you start thinking if it's a "him or me" situation, it's hard to judge if you weren't in there position.

+1 but when the adrenaline starts pumping, it's not an easy thing to cut off. I don't think it's an excuse, but when you don't know what a guy is gonna do and you start thinking if it's a "him or me" situation, it's hard to judge if you weren't in there position.

Agreed, and the legal system generally gets that (some states better than others). You've just gotta make sure you use those magic words when the cops show up: "I was in fear for the life of me and my family." Make sure that gets in the police report, which will help in the event that the criminal's family files a wrongful death suit.

I agree 100%. My only point is that once you've neutralized the threat, assuming the threat is still breathing, "finishing the job" is not legally protected as self-defense. But Lynch would have been equally in the right if he'd killed the guy with the first blow.

Problem is that in the dark against someone you do not know, it all lasts only seconds and how do you know when they are actually incapacitated or not? If my wife and kid were in the next room, I would not stop until I was damn sure that the intruder was down for the count - no question. Whatever that means and whatever it looks like when the lights are turned on. I would have to know that it is unquestionably over.

I've been told by some people in pretty high standing that if someone breaks into your house you kill them, do not just neutralize them... If you do that, they can so. A dead man can't sue. I've also been told this by people that do the CHL certifications... Shoot to kill, not to injure.

And Florida, where they're also protected from civil suits.

Frankly, I'd feel safer living in those states, as all it takes is one activist judge to side with the meth addict and send you to prison.

Problem is that in the dark against someone you do not know, it all lasts only seconds and how do you know when they are actually incapacitated or not? If my wife and kid were in the next room, I would not stop until I was damn sure that the intruder was down for the count - no question. Whatever that means and whatever it looks like when the lights are turned on. I would have to know that it is unquestionably over.

I totally understand what your saying. Hell, I'm not even arguing with you. Everything you've described would, under any rational application of the law, qualify as self-defense. In the alternative, if you've got control of the situation and *then* decide to put a bullet in the back of the guy's head executioner style, well, you'd probably have some 'splainin' to do to your local DA.