[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new PC for home use

Azazello1313

I have been very, very busy selling fishing licenses at work, has cut into my 'free' time. :D

:wacko: Hey, we all have to earn our rice bowl!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still guzzles memory (2 gig minimum!), has compatibility issues w/ older s/w, older hardware drivers, and most large IT Depts won't change for other issues. I'd stay w/ XP, but good luck finding anything new in a desktop that has XP offered. Dell still offers it in their Business laptops.

I just bought a Vostro with XP as my HP was in the shop so much they gave me a refund. XP defintely works better with older peripherals.

looks like I could get a mac mini, totally unexpandable, with a slower processor (2.0Ghz vs 2.4), same memory, 100GB smaller hard drive -- for $1047. basically twice the price (leaving any office software off of both). and that's before emulators or a second OS. are you freaking kidding me? what a joke.

don't forget you still need to buy the keyboard and mouse!

:wacko:

I have both Vista and XP. XP is my favorite OS, but Vista has very high built in security against downloading and running spyware and trojans, but it's too much for most people and hinders doing normal things like using the internet. (unless you turn off protections)

Edited by WaterMan

I was buiding my own thru Dell with XP and a friend of mine went to Office Depot and bought one with VISTA for a cheaper price with better features, he is more computer savy than me so I followed his lead and bought the same one. Hooked it up Tuesday, it started blue screening on Thursday and TOTALLY crapped out on Saturday ( yes it was probably user error because I deleted Norton in favor of AVG but I HATE Norton). Took it back Tuesday for a full refund (produced my receipt, a few keystrokes later my 800 bucks was back in my pocket in 2 minutes which TOTALLY surprised me in a good way !!! ) and I am now back building my DELL WITH XP.

Polk has offered to come by and show me the LINUX advantages and I still may take him up on that but if I am choosing between XP or VISTA I will be going with XP. I don't really do much more than surf here and ESPN fantasy games and burn a few music CDs.

I was buiding my own thru Dell with XP and a friend of mine went to Office Depot and bought one with VISTA for a cheaper price with better features, he is more computer savy than me so I followed his lead and bought the same one. Hooked it up Tuesday, it started blue screening on Thursday and TOTALLY crapped out on Saturday ( yes it was probably user error because I deleted Norton in favor of AVG but I HATE Norton). Took it back Tuesday for a full refund (produced my receipt, a few keystrokes later my 800 bucks was back in my pocket in 2 minutes which TOTALLY surprised me in a good way !!! ) and I am now back building my DELL WITH XP.

Polk has offered to come by and show me the LINUX advantages and I still may take him up on that but if I am choosing between XP or VISTA I will be going with XP. I don't really do much more than surf here and ESPN fantasy games and burn a few music CDs.

Or, you could dual-boot - Create drive partitions for each and give yourself the option to boot to either Windows or Linux

Or, you could dual-boot - Create drive partitions for each and give yourself the option to boot to either Windows or Linux

This is why I read yours and a few others on here about computer advice :wacko: .. It sounds so simple now but I went into the purchase lookig for a reason to hate VISTA. I was impressed with the quad core 2 processor or whatever the heck it was on the machine I bought. Flipping between ball games laying on the couch with the wireless mouse was a lazy persons dream!!!

The average PC lasts a little over a year while Macs last three to four years.

I run a medium size construction company's IT Department. We expect and budget for PC laptops to last three years, desktops for four and we haven't been wrong yet. Considering the conditions a lot of our PCs are placed in, it's amazing they don't break down more often - but they don't.

Am I the only one who thinks that if MS stops creating security patches for XP and the only option is Vista, that Linux and Apple are going to eat into their numbers even more... especially in businesses worried about secure networks?

MS will continue to supply security patches for XP through 2013.

I think you made the right choice. I would wait for at least SP1 before going with Vista.

Wait no longer. Vista SP1 came out two or three weeks ago.

I'm reasonably computer savvy, but I still haven't touched vista. I only know about it through anecdotes, horror stories, legends and myths. my first inclination is to stick with what I know works how I need it to work. but maybe vista has gotten better since its initial release? any feedback is appreciated.

I used to think that I wouldn't like Vista, being a stanch XP man [this coming from an IT guy] but I can't standing working on an XP system if i'm working on graphics, web development, video editing, or gaming. The PC i'm typing on now is a Dell XPS720, Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz with 2 GBs of ram and i'm running Windows Vista Ultimate. I have yet to experience any issues with the O/S.

I used to think that I wouldn't like Vista, being a stanch XP man [this coming from an IT guy] but I can't standing working on an XP system if i'm working on graphics, web development, video editing, or gaming. The PC i'm typing on now is a Dell XPS720, Intel® Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz 2.67 GHz with 2 GBs of ram and i'm running Windows Vista Ultimate. I have yet to experience any issues with the O/S.

it's not that I'm afraid I won't like vista, I'm just concerned about particular programs (sometimes particular, older versions) not working. I like XP well enough that I'll just play it safe and run with it for a while.

by the way, I ordered that box late thursday night, it shipped friday with free next business day delivery, and should arrive today. actually never bought from dell before, but so far I am digging them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just let me know and we can make you a nice machine for 200 dolla.

ya know, you could always just put linux on the machine you currently have and it would be as fast or faster than anything dell sells with either ms o/s. Oh yeah, and linux prices are still stable.

Microsoft have extended XP support through 2014 as any fool knew they would have to. It looks more and more likely that the vast majority of businesses will skip Vista given that Windows 7 (Vienna) is scheduled for the end of 2009.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Microsoft have extended XP support through 2014 as any fool knew they would have to. It looks more and more likely that the vast majority of businesses will skip Vista given that Windows 7 (Vienna) is scheduled for the end of 2009.

I thought I read where Dell stopped putting XP on any systems after ~June 15th.. Are they gonna go back to installing XP? Or are they just gonna use it on UMPC's?

I thought I read where Dell stopped putting XP on any systems after ~June 15th.. Are they gonna go back to installing XP? Or are they just gonna use it on UMPC's?

You can still get XP installed for an up charge apparently. Most businesses, including mine, have pre-set desktop images that we will continue to use for new machines.

I think I'm one of the few that like Vista. I'm running Home Premium and I've had no issues.

Werd

I loved XP, and was skeptical about Vista initially........

Have had zero issues with Vista - SP1 has it running flawlessly :knock on wood:

Since you all love Mozilla so much- I gave it a go a month or so ago, and it seemed like a nice browser , and I didn't check out many of the add ons, but without a doubt my Vista runs faster on my machine.