[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiger Woods out for the year...

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

ESPN the Mag just asked hundreds of professional athletes 2 questions:

1. The Most Demanding Sport is. . . .

Football got 72 votes, Basketball got 26, Baseball got 15, Hockey got 9, Soccer and Cycling got 6

2. The Best Athletes Play. . .

Basketball got 78 votes, Football got 42, Baseball got 12, Hockey got 8, Gymnastics got 6

In both questions, the only people to vote for Baseball were. . . .you guessed it. . .baseball players. Said Scott Proctor: "We're not athletes. We're just baseball players."

Oh, and Brad Miller, Jason Kidd and Ben Francisco (Cleveland Indians OF) all voted for water polo!

interesting...... and I agree with most of it - this is an argument that can go on and on

the best athletes on the planet play basketball- no question about it.

water polo is brutal!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other facets of baseball besides pitching. So, I guess the batter isn't an athlete?

I would say basketball and hockey are two very demanding sports that require a high level of athleticism. People often say hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, but the percentage ot times a shot goes in on goal in a hockey game is less than 10% If you hit the ball 30% of the time in baseball, you are considered good.

I have to disagree...a little. I have done both at a high level. I pitched through college and I've been a scratch golfer (currently a 2). At least to me, golf is tougher. There were many days pitching where I didn't have my good stuff and I was still effective. In golf, you're punished severely if you're not on your game. There's no wiggle room.
Even though I used myself as an example, I was actually more referring to guys who play on a professional level. But I guess that depends on the person too.

There are other facets of baseball besides pitching. So, I guess the batter isn't an athlete?

I would say basketball and hockey are two very demanding sports that require a high level of athleticism. People often say hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, but the percentage ot times a shot goes in on goal in a hockey game is less than 10% If you hit the ball 30% of the time in baseball, you are considered good.

the thing that separates basketball, and followed by football players IMO that makes it apparent the best athletes are playing- is their ability to excel at other sports. I mean, so many NBA guys could and did star in other sports- football players as well, just to a lesser extent IMO

Hockey?? cmon these dudes are on skates!! as difficult as that is, it is more of a specialized skill, not overall athleticism.

one of my good friends dad is a longtime O Line coach in the NFL and now O Line coach for the Colts.......

the most impressive athlete he has ever seen in person??? Shaquille O'Neal without question.

And the percentages certainly support that...

But I always ask that if hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, why is it so much harder to find someone that's a dominant pitcher than it is to find a dominant hitter?

the thing that separates basketball, and followed by football players IMO that makes it apparent the best athletes are playing- is their ability to excel at other sports. I mean, so many NBA guys could and did star in other sports- football players as well, just to a lesser extent IMO

Hockey?? cmon these dudes are on skates!! as difficult as that is, it is more of a specialized skill, not overall athleticism.

one of my good friends dad is a longtime O Line coach in the NFL and now O Line coach for the Colts.......

the most impressive athlete he has ever seen in person??? Shaquille O'Neal without question.

Gotta disagree with this. The way these guys can skate, no look passes, etc., all in a very physical game is amazing IMO.

Seriously? :D Being on skates isn't exactly natural like running around in your shoes on solid ground...how you must take that for granted. Skating backwards, etc. at a pretty decent speed while handling a puck, passing, etc...a tremendous amount of skill is involved.

so if we pitted Tiger vs. the world's best billiards player, who's the best athlete?

The most recent decathalon winner? :D

And the percentages certainly support that...

But I always ask that if hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, why is it so much harder to find someone that's a dominant pitcher than it is to find a dominant hitter?

Interesting indeed. I don't know. :wacko:

Gotta disagree with this. The way these guys can skate, no look passes, etc., all in a very physical game is amazing IMO.

Agreed. Why people assume skating is easier than running is beyond me.

Seriously? :wacko: Being on skates isn't exactly natural like running around in your shoes on solid ground...how you must take that for granted. Skating backwards, etc. at a pretty decent speed while handling a puck, passing, etc...a tremendous amount of skill is involved.

no chit- did you read my post?? it is a skill fo sure, skating is tough, and definitely takes ability.

My point is, it just doesn't translate to overall athletic ablity- sorry

no NHL guys can hang up the skates and go play other sports like an NBA or NFL athlete

Hitting a baseball square is much more difficult than playing golf...

I would guess that's only true of hitting the ball square & being able to direct your hit which isn't as important as it is in golf. With hitting a baseball wouldn't the margin of error be a bit larger?

no chit- did you read my post?? it is a skill fo sure, skating is tough, and definitely takes ability.

My point is, it just doesn't translate to overall athletic ablity- sorry

no NHL guys can hang up the skates and go play other sports like an NBA or NFL athlete

Gotta disagree again. There are several retired NHLers that are very competitive golfe....oh crap, never mind.

I would guess that's only true of hitting the ball square & being able to direct your hit which isn't as important as it is in golf. With hitting a baseball wouldn't the margin of error be a bit larger?

I wouldn't think so. Hitting a homer vs hitting a pop up is the difference in hitting the ball less than a millimeter up or down. That wouldn't be a biggie in golf.