[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don Imus

FWmaker

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the fact that Imus should know better than to bring race into a discussion and not explain himself better, the old fart is just not relevant anymore. His shock jock act is not funny or entertaining and I'm suprised he got another show after the last fiasco. I guess he had a long relationship with certain guests (politicians, media, etc..) he would bring on and his crew was funny at times but I never really got his huge appeal.

When I was about 10 years old my dad took me to the U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows. Imus was there, about 10 rows away from us. My dad said, "You wanna do something funny? Go over to that guy and ask for his autograph and when he gives it to you I want you to say THANKS HOWARD STERN!!"

I always regret chickening out of that one.

There are so many things I want to add to this thread but none - and I mean NONE- of them are politically correct so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Well, that's probably wise, considering the fact that there's a 70% chance that the dude you're hoping breaks his leg so you'll win your fantasy league is black. That might mean that you want black guys to break their legs.

:wacko:

Well, that's probably wise, considering the fact that there's a 70% chance that the dude you're hoping breaks his leg so you'll win your fantasy league is black. That might mean that you want black guys to break their legs.

:wacko:

I shall not and will not comment and by so saying, have commented. :D

Credit card tips. Since there is a charge for CC transactions, some restaurants take out a percentage of any tips received to cover part of the fees.

:wacko: Always leave the tip in cash, people!!

:wacko:In this thread

Detlef deducts CC fees from the waiters' tips.

Just to clarify and I understand that there are plenty of free-market hating sorts out there who still think it sucks anyway. I'm not going to get into this argument again but just wanted to give a quick rundown on what is being discussed.

We deduct 2% from what the waiters earn in charged tips to (almost) cover what we pay to the CC company on those tips. On average, our CC fees are about 2.35% so this is not a net-gain situation for us.

So, an example: You run up $100 tab and leave a $20 tip. Let's say it was 2% and not 2.35%. The credit card company charges me a total $2.40 for that transaction. $2 for the $100 sale and $.40 for the charged tip. We deduct the 40 cents part from the waiter's pay check every two weeks.

BTW, I think it's a fine idea to tip in cash. It saves both the waiter and myself some money and also means that I have to go to the bank less often to get cash so I can pay these guys $100s on the spot each night to cover the charged tips that wont hit my bank account for 2 business days.

Just to clarify and I understand that there are plenty of free-market hating sorts out there who still think it sucks anyway. I'm not going to get into this argument again but just wanted to give a quick rundown on what is being discussed.

We deduct 2% from what the waiters earn in charged tips to (almost) cover what we pay to the CC company on those tips. On average, our CC fees are about 2.35% so this is not a net-gain situation for us.

So, an example: You run up $100 tab and leave a $20 tip. Let's say it was 2% and not 2.35%. The credit card company charges me a total $2.40 for that transaction. $2 for the $100 sale and $.40 for the charged tip. We deduct the 40 cents part from the waiter's pay check every two weeks.

BTW, I think it's a fine idea to tip in cash. It saves both the waiter and myself some money and also means that I have to go to the bank less often to get cash so I can pay these guys $100s on the spot each night to cover the charged tips that wont hit my bank account for 2 business days.

I try to tip in cash if possible, and if the service is very good, I tip at 20% with one penny left on top of the cash. :wacko: Ever heard of the penny on top thing before?

To be 100% honest, I haven't and I've worked in the industry since I was old enough to hold a job.

I was just curious. I use to be in the industry back in the day and started when I was just old enough to hold a job also. Held every position from busser to floor manager/kitchen manager, etc . I've been out of it now for quite a few years (I didn't want to work those crazy hours and weekends when I had a family).

Leaving a penny on top was passed down to me from a waiter I knew who had MANY years in the biz. I was told it was a sign of respect for such a good service. To be honest, I haven't heard many others talk about it before, and was always curious just how wide spread the practice was or if it was maybe just a local or regional thing? Anyway... carry on!