[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any roofers in The Huddle?

Double Agent

A client of mine had a hail claim 2 months ago. Original estimate from a very reputable roofing company came in at $13,000. They decided to go ahead and get the work done this week. The new estimate...$19,904. Why? Petroleum cost. We were lucky enough to find a company that had the shingles in stock and gave us the old rate.

Originally we thought the insured was getting screwed. We called around and found the same answer everywhere. Shingles are going up about 20% per month in this area.

I had an adjuster out to our house two months ago, and he said I need a new roof. Unfortunately he hasn't gotten all the required paper work taken care of, so I may get hit with this.

Your insurance company will have to adjust the claim to reflect the new price. They cannot pass that cost to you.

Have any of you checked metal stud prices lately? They are up 80% since January. I've got a job we gave budget pricing on in January, that bids next month, I can't wait to see what the drywall cost is going to be. Between the weak dollar and the damned Asians construction prices are about to skyrocket. I don't know Athenae muslim about residential construction, but I would have to guess with the cost of material skyrocketing, while it might make new homes sales continue to drop, I would think it would drive up the cost of existing homes.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

...so, if existing homes are going up in replacement cost, then there could be an argument that their resale value is going up, too...

So, for those of us considering a refinancing, that is probably something to make sure that the appraiser takes into account when considering the current value of your home vs. houses that sold at $____________ a few months ago when the replacement costs were lower.

...hmmmm....

...so, if existing homes are going up in replacement cost, then there could be an argument that their resale value is going up, too...

So, for those of us considering a refinancing, that is probably something to make sure that the appraiser takes into account when considering the current value of your home vs. houses that sold at $____________ a few months ago when the replacement costs were lower.

...hmmmm....

You can try that.....but replacement cost has nothing to do with market value. If you have a 1900 SqFt house in the ghetto, and I have a 1900SqFt house in the suburbs made of roughly the same materials, they will carry the same relative replacement cost, but I am very sure that they will have very very different market value.

You can try that.....but replacement cost has nothing to do with market value.

It may not have a direct and immediate impact, but eventually, replacement cost will be reflected in market prices.

If you have a 1900 SqFt house in the ghetto, and I have a 1900SqFt house in the suburbs made of roughly the same materials, they will carry the same relative replacement cost, but I am very sure that they will have very very different market value.

I believe that is primarily a function of the value of the dirt underneath each house...

Edited by muck

It may not have a direct and immediate impact, but eventually, replacement cost will be reflected in market prices.

I believe that is primarily a function of the value of the dirt underneath each house...

yes that is correct....and when an appraisal is done, it takes into consideration the location of the dirt underneath that house. In my ten years dealing in the P&C market, this has always been the case. Some homes insure for less than market value...some for more...depends upon the value of the location of the lot...school district....services...etc...

yes that is correct....and when an appraisal is done, it takes into consideration the location of the dirt underneath that house. In my ten years dealing in the P&C market, this has always been the case. Some homes insure for less than market value...some for more...depends upon the value of the location of the lot...school district....services...etc...

My point being that if say:

Lot 1 = -20% crappy part of town and a crappy market

Lot 2 = -5% great part of town and a crappy market

Identical houses = replacement cost is +30% due to increases in material costs

...based on a replacement value alone, that increase in replacement cost will impact 'value' as existing homes are cheaper than new homes based on cost of construction, increasing relative demand for existing homes, pushing their prices up...

...based on a replacement value alone, that increase in replacement cost will impact 'value' as existing homes are cheaper than new homes based on cost of construction, increasing relative demand for existing homes, pushing their prices up...

OK, I see where you are going....yes, it is true that since the cost of new construction is going up, they have to sell the new houses for more...it will increase the relative value of other homes as comparable, even if the "other" home was built ten years ago. Do I have your statement correct?

OK, I see where you are going....yes, it is true that since the cost of new construction is going up, they have to sell the new houses for more...it will increase the relative value of other homes as comparable, even if the "other" home was built ten years ago. Do I have your statement correct?

Si, senor.

Si, senor.

My only question is this....I understand somewhat how appraisals work(if there are any here please opine). But, back to my example of the ghetto and the suburb. If the new construction is happening in the suburb, then I can see the property value of the ten year old house increasing, but the comparable ghetto house would see very little appreciation? Since there is relatively little new construction in the ghetto. However, if the high costs last long enough, people will buy up the inexpensive ghetto buildings, fix them up, and then voila...no more ghetto!!!! :wacko: