[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargera, Unta, Bier...

polksalet

I'm not sure in what context this question is being asked, but here goes....

A study in the U.S. in 2005 estimated that 11% of adult women and 5% of adult men were taking some form of antidepressant. I'm confident that those figures have gone up since then (although probably only a few percentage points).

There are many factors in the increased usage of these drugs, but just from a pharmacologic standpoint I have seen the effectiveness of antidepressants increase dramatically and the side-effects decrease substantially as the SSRI class (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc.) was developed. When I first started in medicine the use of antidepressants was very limited in part due to the awful side-effects and the minimal benefit of the older drugs.

Another factor in increased usage is obviously the willingness of patients to admit to their doctors that they have depression and the willingness of physicians to prescribe them. This is not necessarily a bad thing. While removing or modifying the outside causes of depression (if identified) is important, those patients with clinical depression (including post-partum depression) have been shown to have a biochemical basis for their depression which antidepressants such as the SSRI's can remedy.

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by Chargerz

I'm not sure in what context this question is being asked, but here goes....

A study in the U.S. in 2005 estimated that 11% of adult women and 5% of adult men were taking some form of antidepressant. I'm confident that those figures have gone up since then (although probably only a few percentage points).

There are many factors in the increased usage of these drugs, but just from a pharmacologic standpoint I have seen the effectiveness of antidepressants increase dramatically and the side-effects decrease substantially as the SSRI class (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc.) was developed. When I first started in medicine the use of antidepressants was very limited in part due to the awful side-effects and the minimal benefit of the older drugs.

Another factor in increased usage is obviously the willingness of patients to admit to their doctors that they have depression and the willingness of physicians to prescribe them. This is not necessarily a bad thing. While removing or modifying the outside causes of depression (if identified) is important, those patients with clinical depression (including post-partum depression) have been shown to have a biochemical basis for their depression which antidepressants such as the SSRI's can remedy.

Hope this answers your question.

I suffer from occasional depression and it seems to run in my family. I have never taken anything for it (other than drinking oxycontin and whiskey parked outside Atomic's house). However it seems a lot of people in my immediate circle (25-30%?) are on Zoloft, Xanax, or something else. I know these things have legitimate uses but I can't help but believe these things are being really over prescribed.

I don't know the percentages.

I have an admitted bias against psychotropic medication. I think it is over utilized, but I'm basing this on anectodal evidence. Clearly, there are times when psychotropic is warranted and necessary. However, if an individual has had (or is having) real problems, the medication does not make those problems go away or help a person learn to deal with them better. This is why so many people who take these medications later assert they don't work--medications are not magic.

In contrast, I've evaluated people who are chronically depressed. No motivation, can't get out of bed, break through crying, feeling suicidal, etc. I do the evaluation and can't see why they're depressed. I ask directly, why are you so sad? They respond, "I don't know. I always have been. I can't figure it out." That is a person who is a candidate, imo, for antidepressant medication. I think that this is evidence of a more physically based depression (chemical imbalance, if you will) and medication can be helpful.

However it seems a lot of people in my immediate circle (25-30%?) are on Zoloft, Xanax, or something else.

Zoloft is an anti-depressant. Xanax is anti-anxiety. And it goes good with beer. :wacko:

Edited by Big F'n Dave

Zoloft is an anti-depressant. Xanax is anti-anxiety. And it goes good with beer. :D

yeah, Xanax is a bit different I think. I take it occasionally to help with stressful situations. I'm wondering if Zoloft would be better. :wacko::D:D

yeah, Xanax is a bit different I think. I take it occasionally to help with stressful situations. I'm wondering if Zoloft would be better. :wacko::D:D

Xanax is like a stronger version of Valium ,and are considered narcotic. Zoloft, et. al. are Saratonin Uptake Inhibitor, non-nacotic. Two completely different things. Zoloft is taken over a period of time to see any effect and its nothing like Xanax. So I say, stick with the Xanax. :D

Xanax is like a stronger version of Valium ,and are considered narcotic. Zoloft, et. al. are Saratonin Uptake Inhibitor, non-nacotic. Two completely different things. Zoloft is taken over a period of time to see any effect and its nothing like Xanax. So I say, stick with the Xanax. :D

1mg as needed? :wacko:

I suffer from occasional depression and it seems to run in my family. I have never taken anything for it (other than drinking oxycontin and whiskey parked outside Atomic's house). However it seems a lot of people in my immediate circle (25-30%?) are on Zoloft, Xanax, or something else. I know these things have legitimate uses but I can't help but believe these things are being really over prescribed.

I would stick to the oxycontin and whiskey. :wacko:

I don't know the percentages.

I have an admitted bias against psychotropic medication. I think it is over utilized, but I'm basing this on anectodal evidence. Clearly, there are times when psychotropic is warranted and necessary. However, if an individual has had (or is having) real problems, the medication does not make those problems go away or help a person learn to deal with them better. This is why so many people who take these medications later assert they don't work--medications are not magic.

In contrast, I've evaluated people who are chronically depressed. No motivation, can't get out of bed, break through crying, feeling suicidal, etc. I do the evaluation and can't see why they're depressed. I ask directly, why are you so sad? They respond, "I don't know. I always have been. I can't figure it out." That is a person who is a candidate, imo, for antidepressant medication. I think that this is evidence of a more physically based depression (chemical imbalance, if you will) and medication can be helpful.

I agree - people are popping pills at the drop of a hat. Anti-depressants, among a host of other things.

The old treat the symptom instead of the root/cause -

don't even get me started on the whole FDA/spam industry. Many of my friends sell spam - and the strories they tell me of many MD's they work with makes me sick to my stomach. (no offense Chargers). They basically feel there are a few good ones, and most don't give a chit.

Many MD's do not even care which drugs work the best, efficacy, etc. It is all about cost and convenience. Some docs know they are prescribing inferior drugs, and don't care bc they make more money. it is all just business and it seems like the patient is the lease important part of the equation, unfortunately.

I have an admitted bias against psychotropic medication. I think it is over utilized, but I'm basing this on anectodal evidence.

I agree. The first thing my wife's doc suggested when she asked about SAD was "try this pill." I think that's a sorry approach to dispensing drugs with the side effects these things have.

I know that most of the women I work with are taking Zoloft, Prozac or others. It's depressing. :punintended:

Many of my friends sell spam - and the strories they tell me of many MD's they work with makes me sick to my stomach. (no offense Chargers). They basically feel there are a few good ones, and most don't give a chit.

Many MD's do not even care which drugs work the best, efficacy, etc. It is all about cost and convenience. Some docs know they are prescribing inferior drugs, and don't care bc they make more money. it is all just business and it seems like the patient is the lease important part of the equation, unfortunately.

As a patient I would not want to see those MD's. They have forgotten the oath they took at the start of their careers.

Business considerations should never come into play when making decisions regarding patient care. The well-being of the patient is, instead, the over-riding motivator in treatment options. Pure and simple.

You haven't been around in awhile, I miss the company..... :wacko:

As a patient I would not want to see those MD's. They have forgotten the oath they took at the start of their careers.

Business considerations should never come into play when making decisions regarding patient care. The well-being of the patient is, instead, the over-riding motivator in treatment options. Pure and simple.

I agree 100% - I guess it is like any other profession, you have the good and the bad.

The trend here, not sure elsewhere is MD offices/clinics going to a cash only basis. They are saying eff Health Insurance, and not accepting it, period. Amazing to me- peeps pay thru the nose for coverage, and now some docs have a new biz model where they are cutting insurance out of the equation!!

The whole healthcare system is so screwed I can't say I blame them.........