[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoreau today

Jimmy Neutron

I've been reading historical political and economic books and essays lately - thought I'd post some Thoreau I found relevant today:

We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire.

There will never be a really free and enlightened State, until the State comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived, and treats him accordingly. I please myself with imagining a State at last which can afford to be just to all men, and to treat the individual with respect as a neighbor; which even would not think it inconsistent with its own repose, if a few were to live aloof from it, not meddling with it, nor embraced by it, who fulfilled all the duties of neighbors and fellow-men. A State which bore this kind of fruit, and suffered it to drop off as fast as it ripened, would prepare the way for a still more perfect and glorious State, which also I have imagined, but not yet anywhere seen.
- both from Civil Disobedience

I wonder how well the first applies to Obama for many people.

I am saddened by the second in realizing how far our country has slipped from the days of Thoreau's own anguish.

I've been reading historical political and economic books and essays lately - thought I'd post some Thoreau I found relevant today:

I am saddened by the second in realizing how far our country has slipped from the days of Thoreau's own anguish.

Most people aren't going to understand either of those - that's the sad part of it Jimmy.

Walden was the intellectual, metaphorical equivalent of humping plywood.

:wacko: I only made it halfway through - dunno about Thoreau's other stuff, but in Walden he comes across as quite impressed with his own fortitude. Oh, and he also comes across a pedantic windbag.

:wacko: I only made it halfway through - dunno about Thoreau's other stuff, but in Walden he comes across as quite impressed with his own fortitude. Oh, and he also comes across a pedantic windbag.

Finishing that book took steely resolve. I respected his little social experiment; I even enjoyed observing the minimalist approach he took. But pedantic windbag pretty much sums up his writing style in that book.

You just like the guy because he did a little jail time for refusing to pay what he thought were unjust taxes. (Never mind the fact that he only made it 24 hours in jail before he Aunt bailed him out and paid the taxes for him).

You just like the guy because he did a little jail time for refusing to pay what he thought were unjust taxes. (Never mind the fact that he only made it 24 hours in jail before he Aunt bailed him out and paid the taxes for him).

So, he is at about the same level of fierce, principled independence as Perch?

So, he is at about the same level of fierce, principled independence as Perch?

Thoreau's parents actually owned a pencil factory, at which he worked. Except when he clocked out to go live for free on Ralph Waldo Emerson's land to write Walden. The guy wouldn't even spring for the cost of his own diploma from Harvard, because he thought the school should have to pay for that expense. He was basically an "anarchist" that could afford to be one because someone else was picking up his tabs. That's not to say his views on government, nature, and taxes were wrong: I actually agree with many of his views. But its always easier to maintain fiercely righteous principles when your well connected, Harvard educated, and your friends and family own the factory you work at/land you live on.

Edited by yo mama

I like the guy because he was able to differentiate between the law and morals.

He also wrote that lawyers know no truth other than consistency. :wacko:

I like the guy because he was able to differentiate between the law and morals.

He also wrote that lawyers know no truth other than consistency. :wacko:

Hey now. :D As a lawyer I know lots of truths. And if you're willing to pay my billable rate I'm willing to advance which ever one you want.

We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire.

-Thoreau

Eloquence: The art of orally persuading fools that white is the color that it appears to be. It includes the gift of making any color appear white.

-Ambrose Bierce or Jesse Jackson on Barack Obama?

I can't believe how disrespectful you guys are being toward Thoreau. He was a great American writer. I thought Henry Fonda did a great job playing him in the movie.

:wacko:

I almost did this joke at the beginning, but thought it too esoteric and that no one would get it. Well played CD!