[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beetles in my garden

whomper

How harmful are beetles to a vegetable garden ? I notcied some of my leaves got slightly discolored and had small holes in them. When I went in to investigate I saw a few beetles. It was too late to get to the local nursery. Has anyone had this problem ? How bad can it get and what did you do to get rid of them ? My wife said my brother in law had them last year and used a beetle bag. I also read about sprays and such. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by whomper

Sevin

It shouldn't hurt your plants but I don't think you can use once the plants start to produce fruit/vegetables.

:wacko: If that is true I am screwed because I have Tomatoes on every plant. I just discovered this today. Anyone ever have any success with the Beetle bag ?

:D If that is true I am screwed because I have Tomatoes on every plant. I just discovered this today. Anyone ever have any success with the Beetle bag ?

I setup a bag for Japanese beetles at my parents house a couple of days ago. It was overflowing within a day. We've filled 3 bags in about 4 days so I would say it works pretty well. We used this japanese beetle bag

Lowes description says it's for veggies. :wacko:

It is but I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to apply it before the plants start to produce vegetables. I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm sure it says on the box.

Sevendust is one of my favorite bands of all time. They really rock the house. I think you'd like them a lot. They probably wouldnt help with the garden though. I guess you could try blasting some Sevendust in the garden. It might keep the beetles away, and encourage better growth. It all depends on what kind of music the veggies like. :wacko:

:D If that is true I am screwed because I have Tomatoes on every plant. I just discovered this today. Anyone ever have any success with the Beetle bag ?

:wacko: I always used it with fruit on the plants. Just be sure to wash everything really well before you eat it.

I've seen gardens with beetle bags in them that looked like they worked really well; they were pretty full.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

I've had excellent success with the beetle bags capturing the beetles and everyone else is right about using Sevin. Just wash your vegetables and you'll be fine.

Thanks all. I went to the garden store and brought a few of the leaves to show the person. She said I have beetles but not japanses beetles. She gave me an organic spray that I should use every 5-7 days until I see no more leaf damage. She said it is totally safe for the plants. She recommended against the bags because they werent japanese beetles and she said the bags attract beetles that may not have shown up in the first place and a big congreagation of beetles like that will cause a grub problem because they would lay their larve in the lawn. Thanks again for all the suggestions and insight. :wacko:

Thanks all. I went to the garden store and brought a few of the leaves to show the person. She said I have beetles but not japanses beetles. She gave me an organic spray that I should use every 5-7 days until I see no more leaf damage. She said it is totally safe for the plants. She recommended against the bags because they werent japanese beetles and she said the bags attract beetles that may not have shown up in the first place and a big congreagation of beetles like that will cause a grub problem because they would lay their larve in the lawn. Thanks again for all the suggestions and insight. :wacko:

Thats what I was going to suggest. I'm a little leery about putting sevin on anything I plan on eating.

Then you're probably better off not know what the farms put on the vegetables you buy at the grocery store. Not to mention what goes in the animals that they turn into pork chops and steaks. :wacko:

Good point. Everything should be washed, but I wonder how much of that chit the plants absorb.

Then you're probably better off not know what the farms put on the vegetables you buy at the grocery store. Not to mention what goes in the animals that they turn into pork chops and steaks. :wacko:

I do know, and I avoid as much of the junk as possible. The Omnivore's Dilemma is a great book on how the food most of us eat ends up on our kitchen table. Local>Organic>Conventional