[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mad Men

darin3

WAY up.... :D

Not sure if the topic's been discussed, but since a new season kicked off tonight, figured I'd just go ahead and start this up....

Totally missed the first season in its initial airing, but caught up on it this weekend prior to tonight's Season Two premiere.

There hasn't been a show - outside of reality TV :D - that I've been so enthralled about in a long, long time. Maybe Friday Night Lights, but for different reasons I suppose.

The writing, directing, and especially the cinematography of this show are simply beyond explanation. Awesome. :wacko:

Anyone watching this? I would have posed this question to twiley, but he's off having all sorts of fun this weekend. My Dad was kinda-sorta in the ad industry and grew up in this era. I implored him to watch.

And yeah, twiley, once you're home and detoxed, you might want to check this out. Outstanding stuff to say the least.

Edit to add: In case you live under a rock or just don't pay attention to "what's hot" on the boob tube, Mad Men is an AMC original series about an advertising agency in New York City in the early 1960's. (Mad Men = Madison Avenue ad executives back in the day). Here is the show's website.

Edited by darin3

Caught this on AMC also. It is a great series! I was blown away at the amount of drinking and smoking that occurs, that and the fact that women are treated as objects by the men. Recommend you take a look at this.

Been meaning to watch this. I'll TiVo it.

It's entered the second season. Not sure if AMC will re-run the first season again (they had done this as a marathon leading up to the second season premiere). I highly recommend watching the first season. They say you can do "on demand" on AMC's website, but I don't know how that works. I think you might have to pay for them... going to your iPod. Either way, find out how to get the first season. :wacko:

It's entered the second season. Not sure if AMC will re-run the first season again (they had done this as a marathon leading up to the second season premiere). I highly recommend watching the first season. They say you can do "on demand" on AMC's website, but I don't know how that works. I think you might have to pay for them... going to your iPod. Either way, find out how to get the first season. :wacko:

On demand is a service that quite a few satellite and cable providers offer. I'll see if it's under my AMC On-demand when I get home tonight.

On demand is a service that quite a few satellite and cable providers offer. I'll see if it's under my AMC On-demand when I get home tonight.

Yeah we have that too... and during the shows they say "available on demand at AMCTV.com". :wacko: Not sure if AMC has on-demand on the tube or not. If so, you may be in luck. It's quality TV viewing. Some nice tail, too.

I caught the first episode of season 1 last night. Great show and it hit home more ways than one. I actually got nervous for the guy when he was in the lucky's pitch meeting because I've been in that situation before. :wacko:

My wife leaned over to me last night after the show and said that she hoped all Creative Directors weren't like that and gave me a dirty look. :D

Edited by twiley

I caught the first episode of season 1 last night. Great show and it hit home more ways than one. I actually got nervous for the guy when he was in the lucky's pitch meeting because I've been in that situation before. :D

My wife leaned over to me last night after the show and said that she hoped all Creative Directors weren't like that and gave me a dirty look. :D

:D Sweet, so you were able to get it on-demand? Definitely catch up on Season One and TiVo the in-progress Season Two. We have some friends coming over on Sunday night to watch last week's Season Two premiere and the new show! Yes, we dig the show. :wacko:

:D Sweet, so you were able to get it on-demand? Definitely catch up on Season One and TiVo the in-progress Season Two. We have some friends coming over on Sunday night to watch last week's Season Two premiere and the new show! Yes, we dig the show. :wacko:

Yup, the complete season is available in HD On Demand. 13 episodes.

Love this show, I think my being in the creative field adds to my enjoyment though.

Good point. My Dad not only was about "the right age" for this, but was also sorta in the industry. Also, I find some similarities with my industry, especially when I worked for an architecture firm. Lots of buttering-up. And drinking. :wacko:

I started watcihng the first seaon on On Demand last night. First two episodes were great. The writing and cinematography are excellent. Definately one of the better shows on right now. Probably the best but I need a few more episodes under my belt for that.

Its too bad this is on AMC and not HBO or something. I dont know how many people get this channel. I do know they dont advertise very well. Without The Huddle or Artie Lang I wouldnt even know about this show.

I started watcihng the first seaon on On Demand last night. First two episodes were great. The writing and cinematography are excellent. Definately one of the better shows on right now. Probably the best but I need a few more episodes under my belt for that.

Its too bad this is on AMC and not HBO or something. I dont know how many people get this channel. I do know they dont advertise very well. Without The Huddle or Artie Lang I wouldnt even know about this show.

It's weird how these fringe cable networks are getting into the fray. I mean, before a few years ago, Bravo was just known for showing off-the wall, older films. AMC is kind of similar - American Movie Classics - and just now got into original programming. I guess if it was on HBO or one of the other "movie" channels, they'd allow cursing and nudity. I'm not sure this show needs either... although you do get a decent peek at some serious sideboob in a few episodes. And I'm not sure swearing would make the show any better.

But you're spot on: the cinematography and writing are top-notch. Watch the rest of the season. It gets better.

But yeah, I had no idea this show was on until the second season was set to kick off. My wife saw an ad for it on Bravo and we caught the first season marathon last weekend. I'm hooked. Great show.

It's weird how these fringe cable networks are getting into the fray. I mean, before a few years ago, Bravo was just known for showing off-the wall, older films. AMC is kind of similar - American Movie Classics - and just now got into original programming. I guess if it was on HBO or one of the other "movie" channels, they'd allow cursing and nudity. I'm not sure this show needs either... although you do get a decent peek at some serious sideboob in a few episodes. And I'm not sure swearing would make the show any better.

But you're spot on: the cinematography and writing are top-notch. Watch the rest of the season. It gets better.

But yeah, I had no idea this show was on until the second season was set to kick off. My wife saw an ad for it on Bravo and we caught the first season marathon last weekend. I'm hooked. Great show.

Agreed. My point was more to the exposure of the show on AMC as opposed to the content. Although in the first episode the stripper had tassles on instead of seeing nips. I hate tassles.

Season two is not as good as season one, yet. Looks like they are giving us more information about the private lives of the characters. It will be interesting to see where they go with several of the relationships. Alsot they jumped from Thanksgiving of 1960 to Valentine day of 1962. Alot of stuff had to happen in those 14 months.

I've got 2 more episodes of season 1 to watch. Great show all around - acting and cinematography are very nice plus Drapers wife is smoking hot.

:D Draper's wife = January Jones = in American Wedding ... check 'er out in that... :D

Season two is not as good as season one, yet. Looks like they are giving us more information about the private lives of the characters. It will be interesting to see where they go with several of the relationships. Alsot they jumped from Thanksgiving of 1960 to Valentine day of 1962. Alot of stuff had to happen in those 14 months.

Totally agree, and yeah, I heard that this season is more "at home" stuff than "in office" stuff. I knew that they jumped from Thanksgiving time to after the first of the year, but didn't realize it was 1960-1962... are you sure of this? :wacko:

Yeah because they were showing Jackie Kennedy on TV giving a tour of the whitehouse explaining some of the changes she had made. She did that in 1962.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (the same paper that gave us the Favre cell phone and trade talks with Vikings stories but this one is actually true)

Jacqueline Kennedy’s televised 1962 tour of the White House was a backdrop to Sunday’s season premiere of AMC’s period piece, “Mad Men.”

Now the cable channel has gone and posted the original black-and-white broadcast on its Web site in one more example of the valuable role the Internet can play when it’s used wisely.

The one-hour special, “A Tour of the White House With Mrs. John F. Kennedy,” debuted without commercials on Feb. 14, 1962, airing on both NBC and CBS. CBS’ Charles Collingwood accompanied the first lady on the tour in what was likely the first major TV news broadcast that targeted female viewers.

The show focuses on Jackie Kennedy’s efforts to renovate the White House, and rooms are shown in varying stages of rehabilitation. The first thing 21st-century viewers will notice is the lack of modern TV slickness and the far slower pacing.

Yeah because they were showing Jackie Kennedy on TV giving a tour of the whitehouse explaining some of the changes she had made. She did that in 1962.

OK color me stupid, but what is the indicator that the show started in 1960?

OK color me stupid, but what is the indicator that the show started in 1960?

They were talking about the Kennedy/Nixon presidential race, the ad firm was trying to get Nixon to use them. In one of the final episodes of season 1 they had a party to watch the elcection returns. That election took place in Nov of 1960