[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this doesn't piss you off...

cre8tiff

Exxon has made nearly $1,500 a SECOND in PROFIT this year...

Note this is PROFIT, not gross sales.

It is real hard for me to ignore the :wacko: part of me that thinks, "W has major ties to big oil. Here at the end of his Presidency, big oil is making the biggest profit ever in the history of the oil business." :D

In any event I can't believe we just take this as a country. How is it possible to tell us we have to pay these high prices and give the oil companies this HUGH profit, when we also have the largest strategic reserve in history as well?? I just don't get it. :D

Perhaps I just don't understand supply and demand. :D

Exxon has made nearly $1,500 a SECOND in PROFIT this year...

Note this is PROFIT, not gross sales.

It is real hard for me to ignore the :wacko: part of me that thinks, "W has major ties to big oil. Here at the end of his Presidency, big oil is making the biggest profit ever in the history of the oil business." :D

In any event I can't believe we just take this as a country. How is it possible to tell us we have to pay these high prices and give the oil companies this HUGH profit, when we also have the largest strategic reserve in history as well?? I just don't get it. :D

Perhaps I just don't understand supply and demand. :D

That is a lot of money, good for them and all of the pension funds that they are providing earnings for...

We pay these prices because we demand this product, no one is telling you to pay these prices, use it in moderation or not at all if the prices are that disturbing. Consumption has decreased over the past few months and in one week, roughly, I am paying 16 cents per gallon less.

Using the oil reserve is short sighted at best and if we unloaded it all it would not comprise a large % of our annual consumption.

ETA -

I am neither a billionaire nor an oil man.

Edited by SEC=UGA

That is a lot of money, good for them and all of the pension funds that they are providing earnings for...

We pay these prices because we demand this product, no one is telling you to pay these prices, use it in moderation or not at all if the prices are that disturbing. Consumption has decreased over the past few months and in one week, roughly, I am paying 16 cents per gallon less.

Using the oil reserve is short sighted at best and if we unloaded it all it would not comprise a large % of our annual consumption.

ETA -

I am neither a billionaire nor an oil man.

I do understand your point, but if public utilities are prevented from running profit lines like this on a staple energy item, why are the oil companies allowed to run free? At what point does purchasing gas become a "must" versus a "choice"? Isn't there some sort of "cap" on the amount of profit electric companies make because to the captive nature of thier consumers?

Al Gore's Climate Solutions Fund has closed with $683 million to invest in early-stage green companies.

The Financial Times reports the fund will focus on renewable energy, energy efficiency technology, biofuels and biomass. This is the second fund for Generation Investment Management. The first focused on larger firms the fund deems to be environmentally friendly.

:wacko:

Do what I do. Hook up a dozen poor people to your car and let them pull you around. I put spinner sneakers on each of them to really bling it up. Sure it's slower, but it's the latest accessory...along with the diamond encrusted whip.

Someone show me the math of the person who earned more in their pension fund than they lost in spending on gas, heating and electricity, the effects of higher transportation and production costs, and lost due to inflation and the overall fall of the rest of the market.

Find that person, and your statement won't be complete nonsense.

I do understand your point, but if public utilities are prevented from running profit lines like this on a staple energy item, why are the oil companies allowed to run free? At what point does purchasing gas become a "must" versus a "choice"? Isn't there some sort of "cap" on the amount of profit electric companies make because to the captive nature of thier consumers?

The reason that utilities are regulated is because of the almost absolute monopoly that they experience in a given municipality.

Someone show me the math of the person who earned more in their pension fund than they lost in spending on gas, heating and electricity, the effects of higher transportation and production costs, and lost due to inflation and the overall fall of the rest of the market.

Find that person, and your statement won't be complete nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_W._Tillerson

It is amazing that you can fully place the blame of Inflation and the fall of the overall market squarely on the shoulders of oil companies, show me the math of that...

Edited by SEC=UGA

The reason that utilities are regulated is because of the almost absolute monopoly that they experience in a given municipality.

Your argument irritates me. sorry, but it does.

Gasoline IS a monopoly. For now anyway.

Sure, there's Exxon, there's Shell, there's Marathon, but there's only one real fuel source for a car and that's gasoline which in my estimation makes it a monopoly. Kinda like the NFL. There's 32 teams, but only one NFL.

In time, there will be other, more practical alternatives, but I've heard Bush make statements about supply/demand, etc... and the market sets the price, etc... That's bull-chit.

Your argument irritates me. sorry, but it does.

Gasoline IS a monopoly. For now anyway.

Sure, there's Exxon, there's Shell, there's Marathon, but there's only one real fuel source for a car and that's gasoline which in my estimation makes it a monopoly. Kinda like the NFL. There's 32 teams, but only one NFL.

In time, there will be other, more practical alternatives, but I've heard Bush make statements about supply/demand, etc... and the market sets the price, etc... That's bull-chit.

I'm irritating, that's just the way it is. If gas is a monopoly, why is it not 15 dollars a gallon here? They can charge any price they want, we absolutely must use it to live, hell why not charge 25 dollars a gallon?

I'm irritating, that's just the way it is. If gas is a monopoly, why is it not 15 dollars a gallon here? They can charge any price they want, we absolutely must use it to live, hell why not charge 25 dollars a gallon?

Isn't that a straw-man argument, "If that were true why aren't they REALLY gouging us?" :wacko:

Here is something that I find interesting:

Exxon was both helped and hurt by high oil prices.

As an oil producer, the company makes a lot of money when crude prices rise. Exxon made $10 billion from selling oil in the latest quarter, up nearly 70%.

But as a refiner, it must also buy crude oil to turn into gasoline. Exxon actually buys more crude than it sells.

Profits from its refining business totaled $1.6 billion in the quarter, less than half of what they were last year.

"Record crude oil and natural gas realizations were partly offset by lower refining and chemical margins, lower production volumes and higher operating costs," Exxon said in a statement.

While oil prices in the quarter were nearly twice as high as the same time last year, gasoline prices only rose about 30%.

Here is something that I find interesting:

Exxon was both helped and hurt by high oil prices.

As an oil producer, the company makes a lot of money when crude prices rise. Exxon made $10 billion from selling oil in the latest quarter, up nearly 70%.

But as a refiner, it must also buy crude oil to turn into gasoline. Exxon actually buys more crude than it sells.

Profits from its refining business totaled $1.6 billion in the quarter, less than half of what they were last year.

"Record crude oil and natural gas realizations were partly offset by lower refining and chemical margins, lower production volumes and higher operating costs," Exxon said in a statement.

While oil prices in the quarter were nearly twice as high as the same time last year, gasoline prices only rose about 30%.

How much could they be hurt if they are reaping RECORD PROFITS? :wacko:

Was anybody pissed a few years ago at how much GM was making on selling their SUVs? Or Apple for selling their IPODs and IPHONEs?

Or any of the restaurants and grocery stores on how much they make on their food? Or, Coca Cola's profits on selling water (Dasani, etc)?

Isn't that a straw-man argument, "If that were true why aren't they REALLY gouging us?" :wacko:

Somewhat, my point is that in fact there is no Monopoly in the petrol/gas industry, it doesn't exist and to state otherwise is false. Gas prices are based on supply and demand (production costs, etc..). This supply demand correlation has been evident over the past 10 days, oil prices began retreating, I am paying 16 cents (4%) less per gallon than I was 10 days ago.

How much could they be hurt if they are reaping RECORD PROFITS? :wacko:

There is a BIG difference between profit and profit margin

For instance, I believe their profit margin for 4th qtr 2007 was around 10% on a profit of 11.66 billion

According to the articl, their profit margin this quarter was 8.4%, though their profit was higher...

Now, does this help explain why their stock actually fell by 2% even though they recorded "record" profits?

Edited by SEC=UGA

ya know, any business that experiences sustained growth is going to have "record profits" every quarter, every year (wiegie might also wonder if you are adjusting for inflation :wacko:) since exxon is the biggest corporation out there, when their business continues to expand they set "record profits" for all businesses. so we have to experience this lame handwringing "outrage" every quarter.

isn't a more relevant question, what is exxon's profit margin (profits relative to expenditures)? and how does it compare to other fortune 500 companies?

Was anybody pissed a few years ago at how much GM was making on selling their SUVs? Or Apple for selling their IPODs and IPHONEs?

Or any of the restaurants and grocery stores on how much they make on their food? Or, Coca Cola's profits on selling water (Dasani, etc)?

Please tell me how everyone in America buys those to make a living.

We're just catching up with the world. We're not being raped at the pumps. Our Government would never let a business destroy the economy.

do you think exxon controls the price of crude oil? as far as I can make out, their motive as a corporation is always going to be to produce as much gas as they can. the more they make, the more they can sell.