[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

democrats re-embracing big government

Azazello1313

The selective free market created by Republicans in the last 18 years has been remarkably successful, wouldn't you say?

I mean... deregulating banks, oil companies, and health insurance... and letting large corporations regulate their own finances has been a massive success. Why wouldn't we vote for someone to expand it?

The selective free market created by Republicans in the last 18 years has been remarkably successful, wouldn't you say?

I mean... deregulating banks, oil companies, and health insurance... and letting large corporations regulate their own finances has been a massive success. Why wouldn't we vote for someone to expand it?

are you seriously arguing that those things (particularly health care :wacko: ) are LESS regulated than they were 18 years ago?

regardless, that's not really the point. clearly you and other democrats are happy they are moving their party platform toward the direction of a larger nanny state, so why quibble over whether it's a wise policy with a doubter like me? you should celebrate it! yes! we need more government! this is how we eliminate the deficit! democrats rule!

are you seriously arguing that those things (particularly health care :D ) are LESS regulated than they were 18 years ago?

regardless, that's not really the point. clearly you and other democrats are happy they are moving their party platform toward the direction of a larger nanny state, so why quibble over whether it's a wise policy with a doubter like me? you should celebrate it! yes! we need more government! this is how we eliminate the deficit! democrats rule!

Oh, I see. So if we elect a Republican, the deficit will go away? :wacko:

are you seriously arguing that those things (particularly health care :D ) are LESS regulated than they were 18 years ago

I have come to learn that the :D icon from you is generally a sign of total cognitive surrender. I accept.

Oh, I see. So if we elect a Republican, the deficit will go away? :wacko:

Clearly.

Also, Banks will miraculously stop self-destructing to the short term gain of executives and the long term detriment of society... Oil companies will suddenly NOT be rewarded for high gas prices with cheap oil drilling rights on our coasts and in federal lands... and SOX will be repealed because of course the market will regulate financials like they did with Enron.

It's foolproof! Everyone wins!

I have come to learn that the :wacko: icon from you is generally a sign of total cognitive surrender. I accept.

Clearly.

Also, Banks will miraculously stop self-destructing to the short term gain of executives and the long term detriment of society... Oil companies will suddenly NOT be rewarded for high gas prices with cheap oil drilling rights on our coasts and in federal lands... and SOX will be repealed because of course the market will regulate financials like they did with Enron.

It's foolproof! Everyone wins!

and hopefully stupid people will only buy what they can afford.

and hopefully stupid people will only buy what they can afford.

I believe this can be solved by lenders once again taking responsibility for who they lend money to.

"I extended 400K of credit to this person who lives on minimum wage, and he didn't pay me back! I never saw this coming! Government... help meeeee!!!! We must make bankruptcy harder for individuals!! By the way, we all got massive bonuses for exceeding our sales quotas the months we sold these POS loans, so our cashflow is low. We need a bailout or the economy will collapse."

Don't give free money to people who can't pay it back, and they won't buy what they can't afford. It's that simple.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I believe this can be solved by lenders once again taking responsibility for who they lend money to.

"I extended 400K of credit to this person who lives on minimum wage, and he didn't pay me back! I never saw this coming! Government... help meeeee!!!! We must make bankruptcy harder for individuals!! By the way, we all got massive bonuses for exceeding our sales quotas the months we sold these POS loans, so our cashflow is low. We need a bailout or the economy will collapse."

Don't give free money to people who can't pay it back, and they won't buy what they can't afford. It's that simple.

im not saying the banks are not at fault. but if you buy something you know is stolen, both you and the thief go to jail. if you borrow money you know you cant afford to pay back, you should burn with the banks.

im not saying the banks are not at fault. but if you buy something you know is stolen, both you and the thief go to jail. if you borrow money you know you cant afford to pay back, you should burn with the banks.

I gave a monkey a knife and he stabbed somebody.

Who's the idiot who deserves the blame... me or the monkey?

you just cant fathom the concept of personal responsibility.

There are other kinds of responsibility that are being overlooked.

In this case, there are two groups responsible. Borrowers could not have possibly gotten into this situation if the lenders... who are supposedly the experts, and who were laying out what was supposedly their money at risk... didn't initiate the action.

In the end though... nobody who did the shady lending is paying for it. If you work for a bank that closes, you go work for another bank. Worst case scenario, you collect unemployment for a few months. Borrowers are having their lives ruined.

Edited by AtomicCEO

As someone who has been in the investment world for nearly 15 years, things are WAY more regulated now than they ever were, and the increase in regulation has been increasing pretty consistently over those 15 years.