[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stone Temple Pilots last night

peepinmofo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott's waiting for Keith Richards to die so he can take over the "I Should Have Died Years Ago" throne.

Weiland will have that title over Shane Magowan's cold, dead body.

Who do you have ahead of them? Scott Weiland's melodies and voice is amazing. The band while not individually amazing, combine to form a powerful backdrop.

TONS of bands ahead of them. I freely admit STP don't turn my crank, but they certainly aren't terrible and have written a good hook or two over their career. But "greatest ever" is just ludicrous.

That's because no one actually believes you're serious.

Just to throw this out there, Soundgarden tanked after their first two releases imo. Nirvana never had it. I'm trying to discuss something here, yet all you yuck monkeys just use the laughing icon and clever remark.

:wacko:

how about the bands they were a lame, poseurish ripoff of? ya know, for starters.

Of who? You act clever, but fail to deliver any names.

They aren't even one of the best American bands of their era. Weiland is a charismatic performer and they have written some good songs.

Yet you won't name any. I'd take them over Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, U2 and Radiohead, all of which I would imagine would be on the short list.

Yet you won't name any. I'd take them over Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, U2 and Radiohead, all of which I would imagine would be on the short list.

All of the Above +

Pearl Jam

Alice In Chains

Red Hot Chili's

Foo Fighters ...................to name a few more

it is cool you dig on Scotty Weiland- but let's not get all crazy-like here...................

Just to throw this out there, Soundgarden tanked after their first two releases imo. Nirvana never had it. I'm trying to discuss something here, yet all you yuck monkeys just use the laughing icon and clever remark.

So, you're saying Screaming Life and Ultramega OK were the opus works of Soundgarden? And that Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger are examples of a band that has tanked?

There is no point in conversing on this issue any further because you are coming at it from such a completely disparate point of view that pure logic isn't worth applying any further.

So, you're saying Screaming Life and Ultramega OK were the opus works of Soundgarden? And that Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger are examples of a band that has tanked?

There is no point in conversing on this issue any further because you are coming at it from such a completely disparate point of view that pure logic isn't worth applying any further.

Sorry, I was talking about the first two major releases from the band. I do think that Louder than Love was the best work.

Either way, I'm wondering who else other than Soundgarden you guys are putting ahead of them.

All of the Above +

Pearl Jam

Alice In Chains

Red Hot Chili's

Foo Fighters ...................to name a few more

it is cool you dig on Scotty Weiland- but let's not get all crazy-like here...................

The Chili Peppers are one of my favorite bands of all time, and I also would put them ahead of STP. Alice in Chains was greatness as well, so that's debatable. I was never a fan of Pearl Jam, but I guess I can see someone ranking them ahead of STP... As far as Foo Fighters go, I don't think they're close to STP. They've had some impressive albums, but not STP level.

Remember, I said one of the best, not the best.

Heck, if we're talking great American bands, there's no WAY I'd have U2 or Radiohead on the list.

Among their "generation", gimme Helmet, Tool, or Pearl Jam any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If we're talking "out there" (which is pretty vague) - among bands that are playing live these days, they can't match the Allmans, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Iron Maiden, or Robert Randolph and the Family Band. If we're talking bands releasing vital, relevant music (which STP isn't, but I digress), I certainly MUCH prefer the White Stripes, Drive-By Truckers, and Queens of the Stone Age (and probably Monster Magnet, but I haven't heard their last release yet).

Edited by Chavez

Heck, if we're talking great American bands, there's no WAY I'd have U2 or Radiohead on the list.

Among their "generation", gimme Helmet, Tool, or Pearl Jam any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If we're talking "out there" (which is pretty vague) - among bands that are playing live these days, they can't match the Allmans, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Iron Maiden, or Robert Randolph and the Family Band. If we're talking bands releasing vital, relevant music (which STP isn't, but I digress), I certainly MUCH prefer the White Stripes, Drive-By Truckers, and Queens of the Stone Age (and probably Monster Magnet, but I haven't heard their last release yet).

Yeah, got carried away... Don't know what I was thinking with Radiohead and u2...

I wouldn't put Helmet anywhere close to STP and Tool quit being a rock band years ago. The Allmans, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are above pretty much anyone for American bands. I'll give you that. Maiden is Metal and like U2 and Radiohead, not American.

I don't consider the White Stripes a band and I think Jack White is a hack that accompanies the most boring drummer in the history of mankind. I believe the song-writing and structure is all around lacking.

QOTSA lost a lot when they lost Nick Oliveri. They were on there way to being something amazing, but I lost interest when he left. I haven't given Drive By Truckers a real listen to I can't comment on them.

dude, stone temple pilots was nothing more than lame derivative music ripping off pearl jam (most explicitly), but also soundgarden, alice in chains, and others from that scene. they basically ruined that whole scene by turning it into vapid top 40 crap. it would be a LOT easier to list prominent american bands that suck more than them than it would be to list bands that are better.

you probably think creed is one of the all-time great bands too, dontcha? :wacko:

Well, it was cool when Faith No More and Tom Waits did it.

See, when I saw STP after Tiny Music, all Wieland did was hop around on stage and yell in to that damn megaphone. If I had paid for the tickets I might have been upset that they were so terrible. Cheap Trick opened up for them too, it was the concert of gimmicks. But, I'll take the novelty of a 5-necked guitar over a megaphone any day.