[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Polk's whacked story of the year

polksalet

Aight, RF doesn't know this (until he reads this thread) but a friend of ours was involved in a bizarre event and died a few years back. We knew he died but no one in the family wanted to tell us what had happened. It turns out this dude we grew up with (4 years older?) decided he weas a woman and had a sex change. Well he had, got, aids whenever or whatever and got really ill. Well he apparently had some kind of monster infection set in and went to the ER in (you guessed it) Austin, TX (seriously, where else would he live?) and the attending doc was a muslim. Apparently it was the against the doc's religion/beliefs (decency?) to work on a rig that jacked up so he put him on meds until the morning waiting on another doc to show up the next morning. Well he/she/it died in the night and the family sued the hospital and won a few mill.

How frikkin crazy is that? Seriously? I used to hang out at his house with his little brother. :wacko:

one more time :D:D

There is only one doctor in Austin and he is Muslim...Wow that is weird.

what is weird is that he was the only er doc in a hospital in a large city. Im not hating on the doc, this is one time i am actually sympathetic to the muslim.

Im not hating on the doc, this is one time i am actually sympathetic to the muslim.
Why are you sympathetic? I don't think anyone should be forced to do something against their beliefs, but if your beliefs may go against your occupation and someone can/will die as a result, then you should find a different religion.

I have no problem with a doctor declining to perform an elective, non-life threatening operation such as a gender change. But just refusing to administer any and all available medical options to your buddy just because it was against his beliefs just seems to go completely opposite what doctors are there for. I have the same disdain for someone who refuses to perform a <i>medically necessary<i> abortion to save the life of the mother because it goes against their religion.

Why are you sympathetic? I don't think anyone should be forced to do something against their beliefs, but if your beliefs may go against your occupation and someone can/will die as a result, then you should find a different religion.

I have no problem with a doctor declining to perform an elective, non-life threatening operation such as a gender change. But just refusing to administer any and all available medical options to your buddy just because it was against his beliefs just seems to go completely opposite what doctors are there for. I have the same disdain for someone who refuses to perform a <i>medically necessary<i> abortion to save the life of the mother because it goes against their religion.

the weird thing for me was that our friend became a nowanger. The death was understandable.

yeah that seems a little bizarre. I mean, if you choose to be an ER doctor (especially in austin :wacko:), you can pretty much bank on coming across people with every sort of moral depravity imagineable, and your job is to treat them.