[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scam that may be linked to info on MFL....

SteelBunz

Alright....I got one of those scam letters today about locating a deceased relative....10 million in some unmarked box....blah, blah.....

Oh....and my "potential relative" lost his life 3 months after the "bombing" of the WTC due to injuries sustained. Yeah....right. :D

You know...bad grammar for a lawyer.....all the signs. Definitely a scam.

What is puzzling to me is this. In the "To:" part of the email are BOTH of my email addys....the one I use at home with my husband....and my private one on hotmail. The ONLY place these two emails have ever both been documented as having anything to do with one another is on MFL.

That's right........MFL

AND more curiously....it's addressed to Jules Madden. The only time I use this form of my name is for Fantasy Football. :wacko:

Anyone else get one of these?

Has MFL sold our info? Did some yahoo just decide to try and pilfer email addys from MFL league sites? Did someone hack into MFL?

Alright....I got one of those scam letters today about locating a deceased relative....10 million in some unmarked box....blah, blah.....

Oh....and my "potential relative" lost his life 3 months after the "bombing" of the WTC due to injuries sustained. Yeah....right. :D

You know...bad grammar for a lawyer.....all the signs. Definitely a scam.

What is puzzling to me is this. In the "To:" part of the email are BOTH of my email addys....the one I use at home with my husband....and my private one on hotmail. The ONLY place these two emails have ever both been documented as having anything to do with one another is on MFL.

That's right........MFL

AND more curiously....it's addressed to Jules Madden. The only time I use this form of my name is for Fantasy Football. :wacko:

Anyone else get one of these?

Has MFL sold our info? Did some yahoo just decide to try and pilfer email addys from MFL league sites? Did someone hack into MFL?

i havent gotten anything like that but I have in the past gotten spam with names that were earily similar to emails of people in my contacts list....as far as MFL goes I am sure if you send them an email and ask if they sold it they would have to tell the truth....i do know that unless you are logged into a league you can NOT see personal information from owners in the league

i havent gotten anything like that but I have in the past gotten spam with names that were earily similar to emails of people in my contacts list....as far as MFL goes I am sure if you send them an email and ask if they sold it they would have to tell the truth....i do know that unless you are logged into a league you can NOT see personal information from owners in the league

Well....because of the clues.....2 email addys that are never linked to one another and my name as it reads.......and the fact that it was NOT a phishing format......those things were exact matches....my first thought was one of my leaguemates mucking with me. :wacko:

Even if you are not logged in and are on a leaguepage as a guest....you can still email the commish....or the league. Check it out.....bad programming here....they only X-out the last 3 characters of your email addy. In my mind....none of the email address should be visible. And that doesn't take into account the use of my name either. If you aren't logged in....all the personal info is left off when you look at franchise info.

I've not gotten one, bunz, but that's pretty compelling evidence. Have you asked MFL for an opinion?

Good Luck.

Not yet....I figure they have enough on their plate with the first week f-ups. :D But I'll send them a letter soon.

But it is very suspicious and not easily explained away....if at all. They'll have to come up with a very good answer. :wacko:

I know Mike Hall personally and I can assure you that he nor anyone with a reputable site would sell their email list. There is simply no way this is anything to do with MFL other than someone figuring out how to get email addresses off of it. MFL would never do that willingly or knowingly. Never.

I know Mike Hall personally and I can assure you that he nor anyone with a reputable site would sell their email list. There is simply no way this is anything to do with MFL other than someone figuring out how to get email addresses off of it. MFL would never do that willingly or knowingly. Never.

It is possible to get email addys from sites using screen scraping and other datamining techniques. So perhaps instead of selling the lists, he just has some security holes that need plugging...

DMD...I have no doubt this is true. I don't see any reason Mike would willingly sell our info.....they make enough money from the league fees, I'm sure.

And is isn't like this email was trying to sell me anything related to FF.....lol.

Be that as it may....his security has been compromised somewhere.....and I think he'd want to know about that. If you happen to talk to him in the next week....tell him to expect my email. :wacko: I have a couple suggestions on improving his security. :D

Are you sure this email address wasn't posted in a huddle league forum at some point? These forums are indexed by google unless they are password protected.

Also, you don't have to be logged in to access the message boards at mfl, so if you posted it on there it's publicly visible.

What do you find if you do a google search for that email address? Can you find any results?

Edited by AtomicCEO