[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all Huddler Plumbers

T_bone65

We have a fairly new home, will be 4 years old this December. We have 3 full baths and the question I have is this. The spare bathroom upstairs we use solely for my daughters bathes so the shower rarely gets used. My son moved in this past weekend and this morning he was taking a shower in that bathroom and I could hear a piercing noise coming from the bathroom, he says it has happened everytime he has ever used it. None of our other showers make any noise at all, and when we run our daughters bath water it is as quite as can be. Any suggestions as to what it could be? I have tried cold or hot water and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Sometimes it will stop for maybe 10 seconds after changing temps but then it starts right back up again? Is the shower haunted :wacko:

TIA

More info needed: How much water is dripping from the ceiling under the bath? :wacko:

Had a somewhat similar thing happen once when I lived in an apartment. It was an annoying whine, but not one you could hear two floors away. The culprit was a cheapo low flow shower head. I disassembled the unit, took out the rubber reducer, ran a drill through the reducer's holes to make them a little bigger, and it was fine from then on. Pressure was good too.

As a quick test, you might try just switching shower heads with a different one in your house to see if it happens with all shower heads. :D

That, installing a disposal, and plunging every toilet I meet are my only plumbing experiences, so take it FWIW.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

More info needed: How much water is dripping from the ceiling under the bath? :wacko:

Had a somewhat similar thing happen once when I lived in an apartment. It was an annoying whine, but not one you could hear two floors away. The culprit was a cheapo low flow shower head. I disassembled the unit, took out the rubber reducer, ran a drill through the reducer's holes to make them a little bigger, and it was fine from then on. Pressure was good too.

As a quick test, you might try just switching shower heads with a different one in your house to see if it happens with all shower heads. :D

That, installing a disposal, and plunging every toilet I meet are my only plumbing experiences, so take it FWIW.

Changing shower heads will eliminate one possible cause. The whistling is caused by a constriction somewhere and if you haven't seen a leak by now I'm betting it is in the head.

Changing shower heads will eliminate one possible cause. The whistling is caused by a constriction somewhere and if you haven't seen a leak by now I'm betting it is in the head.

I'd bet on this too. Since you all didn't use the showerhead, hard water deposits could also have restricted flow. Also, when a pipe sits that long without being used, it corrodes slightly and the blast of water flakes it off and clogs the fixture.

Take it off and clean it....make sure you check the screen to the aerator too. Dipping it in a CLR solution can dissolve some of the gunk in the tiny holes.

And while it's off....test the flow through the shower arm without a head on it. If there's no noise......your showerhead is the culprit.

Edited by SteelBunz

Depending on the type, it could also be the diverter since you don't have a problem running the bath water. But it's probably the shower head. Like bunz said when you have the shower head off run some water through the pipe without the head to also clean out the line.