[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congratulations Phillies

BS Miscreant

Not to take anything away from the Phils because they have obviously done enough to win this thing but I hate to see a series decided by one team hitting the skids at the worst possible time of the year. The Phils are a very good team and so are the Rays but the Rays haven't done in the series what got them there. The Phillies have good pitching but let's not kid ourselves here. An alarming number of errors, key hitters just flat out going cold and some poor decision making have made this what will likely be a 4-1 series win for the Phils. Sure, sure, it's not over yet but I just can't justify why I should believe the Rays will suddenly start to play their kind of ball. Is it in them? Certainly. But I say stick a fork in em... they're done.

Again, congratulations Phillies. You have been the better team.

Not to take anything away from the Phils because they have obviously done enough to win this thing but I hate to see a series decided by one team hitting the skids at the worst possible time of the year.

Me too...imagine if the Phils had been hitting with runners in scoring positon....we'd be talkin' sweep.

Part of what makes a team great is their ability to perform on the biggest stage. Unless the Rays can somehow turn this around, they will have gone a long way to proving this wasn't their time.

Phils getting swept last year by the Rockies went a long way to them performing so well this postseason.

Me too...imagine if the Phils had been hitting with runners in scoring positon....we'd be talkin' sweep.

Part of what makes a team great is their ability to perform on the biggest stage. Unless the Rays can somehow turn this around, they will have gone a long way to proving this wasn't their time.

Phils getting swept last year by the Rockies went a long way to them performing so well this postseason.

I'd take the Phils getting hits with runners in scoring postion in exchange for the Rays 2 thru 5 hitters producing better than a .140 BA with Longoria and Pena being 0fer the series.

As for the rest of what you had to say... I agree completely.

I'd take the Phils getting hits with runners in scoring postion in exchange for the Rays 2 thru 5 hitters producing better than a .140 BA with Longoria and Pena being 0fer the series.

As for the rest of what you had to say... I agree completely.

It'd be a higher scoring series for sure, but the Phillies would still be winning this series 3-1 if both things above happened. This series isn't over yet, but the Phillies have done what they needed to do in the first 4 games which is what the post season is all about.

Whatever the case is, my hat is off to the Rays-- a good bunch of young players who should get a championship at some point if not this year.

Edited by TDFFFreak

It'd be a higher scoring series for sure, but the Phillies would still be winning this series 3-1 if both things above happened. This series isn't over yet, but the Phillies have done what they needed to do in the first 4 games which is what the post season is all about.

Whatever the case is, my hat is off to the Rays-- a good bunch of young players who should get a championship at some point if not this year.

It could very well still be 3-1 but it would have been a whole lot more fun to watch and certainly less frustrating. And i believe the series is over. Not because the Rays aren't good enough to win 3 in a row but because there is no indication that they will play as well as they can anytime soon. Hell, they could play better and still not be very good. The last two nights I have been very down on them but having stepped away from it for a few hours each day I've come to the realization that I'm just disappointed that such a great season and two-thirds of the post season will come down to this mess. I can live with my team not winning because anyone who's spent any time around sports knows that you won't win all the time but this is different from just flat out getting beat.

It could very well still be 3-1 but it would have been a whole lot more fun to watch and certainly less frustrating. And i believe the series is over. Not because the Rays aren't good enough to win 3 in a row but because there is no indication that they will play as well as they can anytime soon. Hell, they could play better and still not be very good. The last two nights I have been very down on them but having stepped away from it for a few hours each day I've come to the realization that I'm just disappointed that such a great season and two-thirds of the post season will come down to this mess. I can live with my team not winning because anyone who's spent any time around sports knows that you won't win all the time but this is different from just flat out getting beat.

now you know what it's like to be a Philadelphia fan :wacko: ....having said that, the Rays are set up to be a very good team for the next 4 or 5 years anyways....

and this series is far from over....there's still another 9+ innings to play...

I'm a big Rollins fan and Howard led me to a big victory in an RBI-only league. Big-time congrats to the likes of Swammi and Zooty and Phil fans all over. Heck of a ride for y'all. Nice job. :wacko: Wish I would have been there tonight instead of last week. :D

E2A: :D Had no idea they suspended the game. Still, this shizz is ovahhhh!

Edited by darin3

I lose either way. If the Phillies pull it out tomorrow night in the continuation of game 5, I won't get to see it because I have to work. If they lose, the series goes back to Tampa and I start to worry a little. :wacko:

If it can get back to Tampa with Big Game James and Garza on the mound for 6 and 7 then the Rays might just have a chance.

Bud Selig said even if the Phillies were leading he would have just made the rain delay last until they could resume play. Phillies would not have won that way, quit your crying.

While I agree with the emotional aspect of not wanting a game to end in a rainout, I wonder how they can dedide on-the-fly to change one of the most basic rules in baseball. If the game is is official, its official. To say "Well, we are going to enact a special rule that states that this rain delay will last 24 or more hours (which would be the longest in major-league basball history by about 18 hours)" seems almost ludicrous.

Further, to not let the managers know you are planning to enact this rule is pathetic. Suppose Maddon felt that, "Damn, I have to somehow get this game tied, of we may lose this World Series on a rain-shortened game. I am going to use every bullet on my bench to figure out a way to get the game tied". Obviously, knowing now that Selig was not going to end the game because of rain, no urgency was needed. Thank god a major strategic move wasn't made in order to get them tied.

My biggest irk: why wasn't the game called in the 3rd inning, when the rains started to come down hard? If they knew they were just going to continue the game for a full 9 innings, why not stop it then? They knew it was going to rain all night, that there as no chance the game was going to be completed.

My other irk: they made the Phillies play 6 innings in the field in that mess, while the Rays only had to play 5. Burrell stated afterwards that there was no way he could charge the ball that Pena hit, and that he couldn't get anything on the throw to try to get Upton at the plate. All that, and it was still a realatively close play. Obviously, the weather played a factor. Hamels couldn't even throw is breaking ball (his most effective pitch) because he couldn't grip it. No coinicidence that Pena lined a fastball for a run-scoring that he normally would have never seen. The Phils should have had a chance to bat in the bottom of the 6th, just so that both teams would have been forced to pitch and field an equal amount of time in those conditions.

All that....and we are back to where we started last night, minus Cole Hamels. Advantage Rays.

I know the timing of the game being suspended seems a bit peculiar at first look but the key to this all was discussed in the post game(as it were) press conference. The umpires, who make the decision to stop a game, said that the grounds crew was working the field every half inning and doing a great job keeping it up through the 5th and 6th break. During the Rays half of the 6th(the top) the weather worsened to a point where the crew could no longer keep up with the pace at which the field conditions were deteriorating. This is why they called it when they did. Like it or not, they did what they could to get the whole game in and when they realized it wasn't going to happen they suspended it.

As far as the "arbitrary" nature of Selig's decision to not let the game end without playing it out through at least 9 innings...

He, as the commisioner of baseball, has the power to make such decisions in the "best interest of MLB". He said it and no one that matters seems to have taken issue with it.

Regardless of the outcome, I am enjoying the historical novelty of it all and am looking forward to the potential for the first ever 3 1/2 inning World Series game.

aren't they calling for rain in philly tomm too? also a question but if say the phils lose game 5...thurs would be a travel day...game 6&7 would then be on fri & sat....wouldnt sat be a normal rest start for Hamels? Of course I hope that we dont get to game 7

Edited by keggerz

I know the timing of the game being suspended seems a bit peculiar at first look but the key to this all was discussed in the post game(as it were) press conference. The umpires, who make the decision to stop a game, said that the grounds crew was working the field every half inning and doing a great job keeping it up through the 5th and 6th break. During the Rays half of the 6th(the top) the weather worsened to a point where the crew could no longer keep up with the pace at which the field conditions were deteriorating. This is why they called it when they did. Like it or not, they did what they could to get the whole game in and when they realized it wasn't going to happen they suspended it.

As far as the "arbitrary" nature of Selig's decision to not let the game end without playing it out through at least 9 innings...

He, as the commisioner of baseball, has the power to make such decisions in the "best interest of MLB". He said it and no one that matters seems to have taken issue with it.

Regardless of the outcome, I am enjoying the historical novelty of it all and am looking forward to the potential for the first ever 3 1/2 inning World Series game.

So...if all you say is true, then why do you think the game wasn't halted in the 3rd or 4th inning, when the rains started, and every weatherman under the sun (or clouds) could tell by looking at the radar that the rain wouldn't stop for a full day?

And do you really beleive all the spin they put on the post-game press conference? Your not really that naive to believe everything you hear, are you? Of course they tried to spin thier decision in the best light...did you really expect them to step up to the podium and say they blew it?

I agree 100% they should have stopped the game....and that it would be one hell of a shame if the series were handed to a team during a rain delay. That being said, rules are rules. To arbitrarily change them at the most critical time is unprecendented.

However, if the decision was indeed made beforehand to stop the game with the intention of continuing it no matter what, why stop it at a point where one team has a definitive advantage of having the other team have to field and pitch in inclement weather more than the other?

The Phils fans here on the boards have admitted throughout the series that our team has gotten breaks from the umpiring (rollins missed tag, for example)...most Rays fans have admitted their breaks, too (missed call at first). You don't have to be so defensive of your team to admit the Rays got a huge break when the timing of the suspension prohibited the Phillies from enjoying the same benefit the Rays were able to enjoy.

No biggie. It is what it is. But to agrue that MLB didn't mishandle the whole scenario is ludicrous. Turn on your radio, or log onto any sports site....there are plenty of unbiased opinions.

So...if all you say is true, then why do you think the game wasn't halted in the 3rd or 4th inning, when the rains started, and every weatherman under the sun (or clouds) could tell by looking at the radar that the rain wouldn't stop for a full day? Because "if all (I) say is true" once the game started they were trying to get the whole thing in. I already said that.

And do you really beleive all the spin they put on the post-game press conference? Your not really that naive to believe everything you hear, are you? Of course they tried to spin thier decision in the best light...did you really expect them to step up to the podium and say they blew it? Sure, you have to take anything you hear with a grain of salt in a situation like this but believing the explanations of what are supposed to be three guys looking out for the good of the game is certainly no less naive than creating your own conspiracy theory because you feel your team was slighted.

I agree 100% they should have stopped the game....and that it would be one hell of a shame if the series were handed to a team during a rain delay. That being said, rules are rules. To arbitrarily change them at the most critical time is unprecendented.

However, if the decision was indeed made beforehand to stop the game with the intention of continuing it no matter what, why stop it at a point where one team has a definitive advantage of having the other team have to field and pitch in inclement weather more than the other? Since we're throwing out whatever skewed opinion we can here... One could argue that suspending the game at that point hurts the Rays by taking away what little momentum they may have gained by tying the game. Not to mention the fact that hitting and running bases is not exactly a cake walk in those same conditions.

The Phils fans here on the boards have admitted throughout the series that our team has gotten breaks from the umpiring (rollins missed tag, for example)...most Rays fans have admitted their breaks, too (missed call at first). You don't have to be so defensive of your team to admit the Rays got a huge break when the timing of the suspension prohibited the Phillies from enjoying the same benefit the Rays were able to enjoy. This is by far the most ridiculous comment you have made in this entire post. Read what I posted again. I, in no way defended anyone or placed or deflected blame. I merely told those who might have missed it the reason that was given in the post game press conference.

No biggie. It is what it is. But to agrue that MLB didn't mishandle the whole scenario is ludicrous. Turn on your radio, or log onto any sports site....there are plenty of unbiased opinions. Unbiased opinions. That's really funny. If they're so unbiased then why do so many of them regularly vary from the other talking heads on the radio. This coming froma man who listens to sports talk radio on my way to and from work every day. Oh yeah, and I didn't say it wasn't mishandled. Once again, I merely mentioned the explanation that was given by the commisioner and the umpiring crew.

Edited by BS Miscreant