[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm too sexy for my camera

The Captains Wench

I have been looking to buy a digital SLR for a while now and when asking for advice from one of my coworkers, I inspired him to upgrade. He is now planning to sell his old camera and offered it to me before he puts it on Ebay.

The camera he is selling is a Canon EOS 20D which he bought when they came out (2 – 3 years ago). He also offered the lens and threw in a 1 gig memory card for $700.00. He has had it cleaned at the Canon dealer and is generally a very meticulous person. He did say it has gotten a lot of use, as he brings it with him wherever he goes. Based on the research I’ve done, I think this is a good deal, but I would love the opinion of someone who knows cameras.

I have been looking to buy a digital SLR for a while now and when asking for advice from one of my coworkers, I inspired him to upgrade. He is now planning to sell his old camera and offered it to me before he puts it on Ebay.

The camera he is selling is a Canon EOS 20D which he bought when they came out (2 – 3 years ago). He also offered the lens and threw in a 1 gig memory card for $700.00. He has had it cleaned at the Canon dealer and is generally a very meticulous person. He did say it has gotten a lot of use, as he brings it with him wherever he goes. Based on the research I’ve done, I think this is a good deal, but I would love the opinion of someone who knows cameras.

sleep with him and save the money for windows :wacko:

as long as everything is in good shape, that sounds like a good camera at a good price. for about the same price you could get a new, entry level DSLR, something like this, or this (with live preview, something most SLRs don't have). I'm not completely sure which way you're better off. it's sorta like, if you've got 20 grand, do you buy the new honda civic or the 5 year old BMW? depends what you're going for, I suppose.

as long as everything is in good shape, that sounds like a good camera at a good price. for about the same price you could get a new, entry level DSLR, something like this, or this (with live preview, something most SLRs don't have). I'm not completely sure which way you're better off. it's sorta like, if you've got 20 grand, do you buy the new honda civic or the 5 year old BMW? depends what you're going for, I suppose.

5 Yr old BMW FTW

yeah, looks like a pretty nice lens....with that thrown in, 700 seems like a great price.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am right now. This looks as good as the best deals out there for used cameras of this type and I should get much better pictures from this camera than one of the entry level DSLRs. I am not just buying any old used camera, I know the previous owner and I think that goes a long way.

the camera is a good to very good camera, to use broad terms.

the lens, will be more than adequate for a walk around lens.

it all depends on what you plan to use it for. the max aperture of F4-5.6 will require a flash in low light,

indoors, party's, etc. test out the distance of the on board flash to see how far it will reach,

before you shoot that 'big event', otherwise you may be disappointed. you may want to purchase an external flash.

i own the 85mm USM 1.8 (great in low light) and is sharp as a tack!

the USM on your lens is very quick, in good light, and sharp focusing. the IS is ok for walk around shots.

again, it all depends on what you will use it for. i've bought lenses i thought i needed (but just wanted)

then turned around and sold them because i didn't use them, they didn't fit my shooting needs/style.

it's a total win to buy it from a friend who seems to know a bit about photography since he

bought a 20D ( bit of an assumption here) but talk him up.

a great site, one of if not the best on the web, is FM Forums http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

you can browse around,and check out the 'Buy/Sell' forum and that will give you an idea of the price.

most guys/gals there are semi=pro or pro and sell their top notch equipment there.

one bit of advice....good lenses are addicive and drain the bank account.

good luck and happy shooting

it all depends on what you plan to use it for. the max aperture of F4-5.6 will require a flash in low light,

indoors, party's, etc. test out the distance of the on board flash to see how far it will reach,

before you shoot that 'big event', otherwise you may be disappointed. you may want to purchase an external flash.

the USM on your lens is very quick, in good light, and sharp focusing. the IS is ok for walk around shots.

again, it all depends on what you will use it for. i've bought lenses i thought i needed (but just wanted)

then turned around and sold them because i didn't use them, they didn't fit my shooting needs/style.

it's a total win to buy it from a friend who seems to know a bit about photography since he

a great site, one of if not the best on the web, is FM Forums http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

you can browse around,and check out the 'Buy/Sell' forum and that will give you an idea of the price.

most guys/gals there are semi=pro or pro and sell their top notch equipment there.

Fredmiranda is a great site too...

oh and my latest toy http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews...ens-review.aspx

Thanks, this is great. I tend to like to do landscape photography and other outdoors stuff so I think this lens will be fine for now. Of course I'll be using it for taking pictures on holidays and at parties and such, but I can always use the flash indoors. I had a Canon Rebel film camera that I loved and I haven't replaced it with digital yet because the cost for good quality always got in the way. I always knew I could buy lenses for the old film camera and an external flash, but I never felt I needed it. The photos were good enough for me. I like the idea that I can expand on this camera though and I don't think I'll need another for a long time.

My friend knows more about photography than I do, and he really loves this camera. I feel good buying a used camera from someone who I know took good care of it.

I think I'm going to go for the better quality used than the brand new "Honda Civic"

Edited by The Captains Wench