[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SAT's

BigMikeinNY

I have a cousin taking the SATs this weekend for the first time. I tried to do some online research for some Helpful Hints to give him but I don't really see anything. I know the SAT's have changed since we all took them. I believe there are no more analogies, and there is also a writing section. I know he has been studying the math and the vocabulary.......

Does anybody have any (serious) helpful hints or suggestions I can give him for this weekend?

Example: If there are 30 questions on a section, how does SAT scoring work? Is he better off doing his best on the first 20, or hurrying to get all 30 done?

Any great hints or websites would be great.

BigMike

I took the SATs three years ago.

Skipping a question is -1/4 of a point, and a wrong answer is -1 point. They do this to keep kids from guessing and scoring unnaturally high. The best thing he can do if he doesn't know the answer is skip it. If he can narrow it down to two answers, it's obviously more worth the guess, but he's better of getting the ones done that he can.

The average SAT score is 1500 (C grade level), colleges really look for 1700+. Remember old timers, it's now out of 2,400 not 1,600.

Also, if he can afford to take it twice, it really is worth it. The average student improves around 150 points when they take it a second time. Obviously some improve less/more than this, but it is worth multiple tries. (My first attempt was 1520, second was 1890 with no studying in between).

Also SAT IIs (individual subject tests) are mandatory for a lot of colleges, so make sure he checks whether the schools he's applying to require them or not. Schools don't focus so much on your score on these, just so long as you took them.

Shoot me a PM with any other questions.

Edited by kpholmes

How is the SAT used in comparison with the ACT these days? Are they both equally accepted so long as the scores are good enough?

When I was a senior in HS, I only took the ACT exam. :wacko:

Depends on the school - 90% of schools will accept one or the other. The other 10% will only accept one or the other.

How is the SAT used in comparison with the ACT these days? Are they both equally accepted so long as the scores are good enough?

When I was a senior in HS, I only took the ACT exam. :wacko:

In the midwest, the ACT is preferred while the SAT is preferred on the coasts, though both are acccepted at many universities.