[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 QB carousel

Riffraff

No disprespect intended with the first post thoughts - nice summary - however, as a Viking fan I think we have suffered enough at QB to have to think about a QB tandem of Grossman and T-Jax when the idea is some version of "win now".

My GOD, the humanity.

:wacko:

Potential QB openings:

6. Seattle - Hass is getting old and the back-ups aren't impressive. Mora Jr may bring in "his" guy. Pray it's not Vick. A candidate for a rookie landing spot.

While this has been mentioned on local sports talk radio, it has been radically dismissed by everyone who knows anything about this team (including Mr. John Clayton).

Hass is getting old, yes. But, he just had a crappy year for injuries. He's had about a dozen different injuries in one form or another and his back injury is still hurting him more than he lets on.

As long as he can fully recover this off-season there is absolutely no reason he won't return to old form. IMO, he is one of the smartest qb's in the league, and doesn't rely on a cannon arm or blazing speed to win a game (things that go over time).

Also, IMO I think it is definately time to draft a qb to be groomed and mentored by Hass. Someone in rounds 2-3 that can learn for 3-4 years when Hass might be done.

No disprespect intended with the first post thoughts - nice summary - however, as a Viking fan I think we have suffered enough at QB to have to think about a QB tandem of Grossman and T-Jax when the idea is some version of "win now".

My GOD, the humanity.

:wacko:

It would be very fair to say that in light of all that has happened that Grossman in a Vikes uniform visiting Soldier Field might just be the hottest regular season ticket in Chicago in...forever.

I'd pay top $ to watch Uralcher and Briggs chase Grossman down. :D

Oh the HUGHmanity indeed! :D

While this has been mentioned on local sports talk radio, it has been radically dismissed by everyone who knows anything about this team (including Mr. John Clayton).

Hass is getting old, yes. But, he just had a crappy year for injuries. He's had about a dozen different injuries in one form or another and his back injury is still hurting him more than he lets on.

As long as he can fully recover this off-season there is absolutely no reason he won't return to old form. IMO, he is one of the smartest qb's in the league, and doesn't rely on a cannon arm or blazing speed to win a game (things that go over time).

Also, IMO I think it is definately time to draft a qb to be groomed and mentored by Hass. Someone in rounds 2-3 that can learn for 3-4 years when Hass might be done.

Recap: Hass is old. Hope Vick isn't brought in. Good rookie landing spot. Could have just said you agree on all points.

Recap: Hass is old. Hope Vick isn't brought in. Good rookie landing spot. Could have just said you agree on all points.

Or, in other words, 2009 is not a year to think Seattle will be getting an immediate replacement qb for Hass as your original post states. Guess you read only what you want to hear.

Or, in other words, 2009 is not a year to think Seattle will be getting an immediate replacement qb for Hass as your original post states. Guess you read only what you want to hear.

Topic is potential landing spots... not guaranteed starting spots. I said the back-ups aren't impressive. Agreed on the bolded part.

Potential QB openings:

6. Seattle - Hass is getting old and the back-ups aren't impressive. Mora Jr may bring in "his" guy. Pray it's not Vick. A candidate for a rookie landing spot.

Nearly half the league may have an opening. Plenty of movement.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you Riff. These words are from your original post. What I read is Potential QB openings, which is far from potential landing spots. Potential QB openings in 2009 would mean Hass may not be starting next year. I argued why he will be starting next year. I am now done commenting on your play of words, have a nice day.

ETA: This is a nice post with alot of good information Riff, I am only trying to fill you and everyone else in on what is actually happening in Seattle as opposed to what a couple national stories have made up with the Mora and Vick connection from the Atlanta days.

Edited by Pillsbury

Didn't Detroit sign Culpepper to a 2 year deal? I know it was reported that way, but I never saw the confirmed final terms or if the second year was just an option.

Yes, it was a 2 year deal. The 2nd year includes a roster bonus. See below.

The verbal agreement I spoke of is a chance to start, which is what he was looking for.

11/3/2008: Signed a two-year, $5.77 million contract. The deal included a $40,000 signing bonus. Another $1 million is available through incentives based on Culpepper taking 5% of the snaps in 2008. 2008: $730,000, 2009: $2.5 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: Free Agent

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you Riff. These words are from your original post. What I read is Potential QB openings, which is far from potential landing spots. Potential QB openings in 2009 would mean Hass may not be starting next year. I argued why he will be starting next year. I am now done commenting on your play of words, have a nice day.

If I thought he would have been cut, I would have included him in the portion that lists QBs by name. I do not think he'll lose the job next year unless Seattle is out of the play-off picture, then they'll look at the guy they bring in. Seattle will have an opening, you just assumed it meant Hass.

I tell you what, I'm completely behind the Chiefs sticking with Thigpen. He's earned it.

I agree. They won't have to draft a high QB.

Since they tend to bring in veterans, I'm also thinking that this may be where Grossman lands. Rex will think he has a chance to overtake Thigpen and the Chiefs get a veteran that can play decent off the bench. People may be dismissing the "started in a recent Super Bowl" angle. Of course, I may mistakenly over emphasis it.

Hass blurb from Peter King:

I keep hearing the Seahawks might be thinking of letting Matt Hasselbeck -- with a very manageable $9.95 million, $9.45 million and $6.75 million cap number for the final three years of his contract -- go. If they do, they're nuts.

Another free agent of note: Byron Leftwich

No clue who will give the big windup a chance. I figure Batch stays on in Pittsburgh.