[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 QB carousel

Riffraff

Potential free agent QBs in 2009:

1. Warner will be the QB to get if he doesn't re-sign or get franchised. I think he re-signs in Arizona.

2. Smith could get cut. He's a young top draft pick. I think he renegotiates and stays with the Niners and would get yet another OC change in his career.

3. Grossman has a Super Bowl appearance on his resume. I can see him going to Minny like Berrian did. Minny is in a "win now" window and Grossman knows the team well enough as a division rival.

4. Anderson may be on the market if the Browns fail to give him the bonus. Not sure what teams think of him. Maybe he lands in St Louis since he's better than Green or in Frisco as a mistake.

5. Cassel should take a back-up job somewhere. Maybe a place like Dallas since the Brad and Brook experiment will still be fresh on Jerry Jones' mind.

6. Losman.. I'm not a fan but perhaps some GM is. Could see New England bringing him in as QBs from division rivals are nice targets.

7. Garcia is at the end of his rope. It's Tampa or nobody.

8. Kitna is just a journeyman, but could find a back-up job still. Not a free agent yet as the Lions have him under contract in hopes of trading him. Hope Martz doesn't have the Niners bring him in.

Potential QB openings:

1. Kansas City - doubt they bring back Huard and send Croyle to the end of the bench. KC has a long history of bringing in retreads instead of drafting a high QB rookie. They really should take a top prospect IMO since the team is so young.

2. Minnesota - mentioned Grossman above. TJack stays on as a back-up.

3. San Francisco - mentioned Smith above. I don't think Hill or O'Sully are the answer, so it's an opening worth pursuing. Maybe a mistake like Anderson or Kitna.

4. Detroit - the Culpepper experiment. I think they gave him a verbal agreement for next year. Gives them time to see if Stanton has anything and to draft another future hopeful.

5. Cleveland - assuming they don't pay Anderson the roster bonus. Doesn't really matter who as the job is Quinn's. Maybe a guy like Kitna.

6. Seattle - Hass is getting old and the back-ups aren't impressive. Mora Jr may bring in "his" guy. Pray it's not Vick. A candidate for a rookie landing spot.

7. - New England - mentioned Losman above.

8. Arizona - if they let Warner walk. Don't think they do. Hope Leinart is ready if it comes to that.

9. Dallas - mentioned Cassel above.

10. Chicago - once Grossman walks. I think they sign Orton long term and bring in a lower round rookie to groom.

11. Jets - You know, if Favre actually retires. Clemens will inherit the job and a veteran will come in as a back-up.

12. Tennessee - Sticking with Young and Collins.

13. Oakland - they really need a veteran back-up that doesn't completely suck. Another landing spot for Kitna as he's had a history of opening doors for bad teams with young QBs (Cincy, Detroit, etc).

14. St Louis - Bulger isn't looking too healthy, though I think it's more of a OL problem. They should definitely invest in a rookie as Green shouldn't be playing anymore.

15. Tampa Bay - Gruden loves bringing in QBs so this is a wildcard. Even if they have Josh Johnson and Griese, it's no guarantee they are the QB of the moment.

Nearly half the league may have an opening. Plenty of movement.

Your thoughts?

Disagree on:

If Cassell leaves NE it would be to at least compete to be a starter

Fair enough, but he'd have an equal chance at another ring with either team. Jerry Jones pays much better for clipboard holding. And I think New England will just elevate O'Connell instead of paying Cassel good money.

Edited by Riffraff

Fair enough, but he'd have an equal chance at another ring with either team. Jerry Jones pays much better for clipboard holding. And I think New England will just elevate O'Connell instead of paying Cassel good money.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE put the franchise tag on Cassel for next year since there is some concern as to how soon Brady will be ready to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE put the franchise tag on Cassel for next year since there is some concern as to how soon Brady will be ready to play.

Wow. Would they pay that kind on money? Transition tag is what a 1st and 3rd round pick?

Wow. Would they pay that kind on money? Transition tag is what a 1st and 3rd round pick?

A transition tag only gives a team the right to match a contract offer. There is no compensation if the contract is not matched.

A franchise tag would be 2 firsts if a contract is not matched.

Franchise = average of top 5 salaries for the position. I don't see New England paying that pricetag. It's probably the only way they keep him, but I don't see it being a financially sound decision. This is not the Raiders, Cowboys, or Redskins that throw money at problem areas and hope the dollars fill the void. It's not like Cassel is playing at a pro-bowl level (except last week). 10 TD, 7 INT, 2 FUM is just average.

Does that leave Jackson a career backup? I'm not sure if Chili has given up on him yet. I know pretty much everyone else has.

It's really hard to tell. He might get a chance next year to win the starting job or I could see him playing out his contract with the Vikes as a backup and then catching on with another team as a free agent.

I can't remember a franchised qb - between the ridiculous money you'd be talking (gotta think in the 8 to 10M range), and that a lot of time franchising leaves a slightly bad taste in the mouth and that's fine for say a d-linemen, but not so much for your qb....has there been any franchised QB's the last few years?

And no way does NE franchise Cassel - they'll make a good offer, and it's really all about how much money he makes for himself the rest of the year to how that offer stacks up, but i'd think he wants to start, so NE isn't the place to be.

4. Detroit - the Culpepper experiment. I think they gave him a verbal agreement for next year. Gives them time to see if Stanton has anything and to draft another future hopeful.
Didn't Detroit sign Culpepper to a 2 year deal? I know it was reported that way, but I never saw the confirmed final terms or if the second year was just an option.

Hasn't Cassell been a career backup? I can't remember a non-starting college QB even playing a down in the NFL (that could just be me though). I assume he would be fairly content to get a solid offer from a team with talent.

I tell you what, I'm completely behind the Chiefs sticking with Thigpen. He's earned it.

I would think the Chiefs stick with Thigpen for sure, he's shown more than either Huard or Croyle.

I'm interested to see what tennessee does - Collins supposedly had misgivings each of the past two offseasons about returning to the nFL as a backup - now that he's had the success that he has, and I believe he's a free agent at the end of this season, he'll likely insist on going somewhere where he is the clear cut starter going into camp? And maybe he would be just that at Tennessee, not sure where the organization is right now on Young. Kind of an interesting situation there.

What ever happened to Chris Simms?

And maybe he would be just that at Tennessee, not sure where the organization is right now on Young. Kind of an interesting situation there.

What ever happened to Chris Simms?

Simms is currently with Tennessee.

Edited by Big John

Good post to put it out there.

Disagree on:

Grossman (can't see how a team could make him a starter)

Clemens. Haven't heard anything recently but don't think they're that high on him.

If Favre retires the Jets wont have many options but I could see them pursuing Anderson.

• 2 weeks later...