[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me decide on a TV

Chief Dick

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, H8tank did something... went to buy some laptops, and saw 36 months same as cash, had them pricematch an internet price... and got a new 52" 120hz 1080p Toshiba LCD TV $1499 + pani blueray. Wow, this things is huge. Byebye 300# 36" Flat screen JVC tube... hello HD. :wacko:

Well, H8tank did something... went to buy some laptops, and saw 36 months same as cash, had them pricematch an internet price... and got a new 52" 120hz 1080p Toshiba LCD TV $1499 + pani blueray. Wow, this things is huge. Byebye 300# 36" Flat screen JVC tube... hello HD. :wacko:

WOW!! Now that's a freakin deal!! I seriously need to upgrade. :D I still have tube TVs, obviously with no HD and I don't even have DVR. I gotta get with the times.

• 5 months later...

Absolutely SICK deals right now.

I have started to be "in the market" for TVs and I cant beleive how much prices have fallen. I saw a 46 inch 1080 at Sears for $599.00 :wacko:

Not only am I buying a 40-50 inch TV in the next week with the pre black Friday sales, I will be picking up a 30-some inch TV for the bedroom . . .

Any updates from people on brands? I am also a consumer reports guy, but I like to hear from people that also watch a lot of sports like me.,

Absolutely SICK deals right now.

I have started to be "in the market" for TVs and I cant beleive how much prices have fallen. I saw a 46 inch 1080 at Sears for $599.00 :wacko:

Not only am I buying a 40-50 inch TV in the next week with the pre black Friday sales, I will be picking up a 30-some inch TV for the bedroom . . .

Any updates from people on brands? I am also a consumer reports guy, but I like to hear from people that also watch a lot of sports like me.,

Go and look at them, don't just shop for price. Compare them, mess with the controls, turn the contrast and brightness down to about half. Then let your eyes decide.

Go and look at them, don't just shop for price. Compare them, mess with the controls, turn the contrast and brightness down to about half. Then let your eyes decide.

I wasnt even in the market until i saw some of the deals and started to investigate further. Thank you for the contrast/remote advice, I never thought of that before . . .

I wasnt even in the market until i saw some of the deals and started to investigate further. Thank you for the contrast/remote advice, I never thought of that before . . .

When TVs are brand new, they will have the contrast and brightness turned up to 100%. This is called "torch mode" by those of us that care about such things. It is designed to make the TV picture look the best that it can under the harsh flourescent lights in a store. Most people don't realize that TV manufacturers do this. However, by leaving your TV like this, you can shorten the life of the picture generating elements. It's also not even close to the way the things are supposed to appear. You shoudl at a minimum, do a home calibration of the new TV with a DVD such as Avia Guide to Home Theater or Digital Video Essentials. However, the best is to ge tthe TV professionally calibrated. This can be a touch pricey though.

When TVs are brand new, they will have the contrast and brightness turned up to 100%. This is called "torch mode" by those of us that care about such things. It is designed to make the TV picture look the best that it can under the harsh flourescent lights in a store. Most people don't realize that TV manufacturers do this. However, by leaving your TV like this, you can shorten the life of the picture generating elements. It's also not even close to the way the things are supposed to appear. You shoudl at a minimum, do a home calibration of the new TV with a DVD such as Avia Guide to Home Theater or Digital Video Essentials. However, the best is to ge tthe TV professionally calibrated. This can be a touch pricey though.

Stellar advice.