[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yet another LCD TV thread

Furd

I've decided to buy a Sony. And because of the room that its going to be in, I'm pretty much stuck with a 46" (about 9' from couch to TV, a couple feet closer for the chairs) as i understand it anyway.

There are two models: the KDL-46XBR8 and the KDL-46XBR6 . The former costs $4,699 while the latter is $2,199.

What can you tell me about the BR8 that makes the extra $2,500 worth it?

TIA.

Oops...that's the 42 inch. They have a 46 inch that should be around the same price (Best Buy is having site issues).

Black levels are better on plasmas.

I have Pioneer - can't imagine better blacks on any panel, LCD or Plasma

at those prices take a look at Pioneer - they are simply the best

Panny is a sick set at those prices

Hey Furd...you may want to seriously consider a plasma if the black levels are what you really like about those Sony LCDs. LCDs aren't quite up to a plasma set's standard in the black level range. It also enables you to have better contrast and depth of field. If the room is a high brightness room, the LCD is the way to go in that scenario because the plasma's picture can get washed out easier.

Good place for some initial research.

If I were in the market to buy (if someone took my 55" Mitsubishi off my hands I will be), I would go plasma. Good luck!

I have Pioneer - can't imagine better blacks on any panel, LCD or Plasma

at those prices take a look at Pioneer - they are simply the best

Panny is a sick set at those prices

+1....and if you're even considering spending over 4k on a TV, I'd start looking at the Pioneer models...

Another vote for the Pioneer if you're planning on spending that much anyway. My parents have the Pioneer and my sister and BIL have a Panny. I calibrated both and have spent a lot of time in front of both. If there is any difference in picture quality, it is nominal. Panny makes an awesome plasma.

I say save a grand and get a kick azz sound system with the difference.

2 differences that I saw - the 8 has an LED backlight and a neo-funky glass bezel for extra style. Az has it right, the 8 is just a status symbol. The 6 is a solid set. I'd also consider the Samsung LN46A550, A630, and A650 (red bezel if you like that kind of thing).

I am into status symbols and such, but for my purposes, its not necessary.

I've done a little bit of research. The Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ800U might fit the bill. I'm going to check it out.

Double Agent, from what I've read, the PZ800U is recommended over the PZ80U because the former is THX certified. Its only $100 more. What say you?

link to PZ800U

Edited by Furd

Another vote for the Pioneer if you're planning on spending that much anyway. My parents have the Pioneer and my sister and BIL have a Panny. I calibrated both and have spent a lot of time in front of both. If there is any difference in picture quality, it is nominal. Panny makes an awesome plasma.

I say save a grand and get a kick azz sound system with the difference.

Pioneer doesn't make a 46" from what I can determine.

I am into status symbols and such, but for my purposes, its not necessary.

I've done a little bit of research. The Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ800U might fit the bill. I'm going to check it out.

Double Agent, from what I've read, the PZ800U is recommended over the PZ80U because the former is THX certified. Its only $100 more. What say you?

link to PZ800U

I don't know how THX certified would matter on the television itself. On a surround system maybe (as a status symbol), but I'm not sure how a THX certified tv is better. I'll check into it.

Not sure Pioneer makes a 46" tv either. My parents' tv is 50".

Like I said in a previous post, I have a lot of experience with both the Pioneers and the Pannys. If I were to buy a television tomorrow, it would be the Panasonic. I'm not saying the Pioneers aren't a little better (I can't tell the difference FWIW), but the price difference seals the deal for me.

That Panny Viera will make you cream your pants. Absolutely perfect picture.

Edit to add: Here's a link on THX certified displays Link

I do my own calibration so this wouldn't benefit me. But for $100 it might be worth it to you.

Edited by Double Agent

and you definitely can't go 50"?

The primary seating position will be 9 feet from the TV. A secondary concern (minor) is a chair that's a couple feet closer at an angle (maybe 135 degrees. As I understand it, plasmas allow a more severe viewing angle) So, from what I can determine, 50" is too large.

I don't know how THX certified would matter on the television itself. On a surround system maybe (as a status symbol), but I'm not sure how a THX certified tv is better. I'll check into it.

Like I said in a previous post, I have a lot of experience with both the Pioneers and the Pannys. If I were to buy a television tomorrow, it would be the Panasonic. I'm not saying the Pioneers aren't a little better (I can't tell the difference FWIW), but the price difference seals the deal for me.

I do my own calibration so this wouldn't benefit me. But for $100 it might be worth it to you.

Thanks for the information.

Though it's only 780 and 42", the fact that I just paid $700 for my Panny Viera and knowing that I could size up or go 1080 for a few hundred more would make me seriously think twice about dropping anything close to two grand on a TV.

Though it's only 780 and 42", the fact that I just paid $700 for my Panny Viera and knowing that I could size up or go 1080 for a few hundred more would make me seriously think twice about dropping anything close to two grand on a TV.

You've got a great display. 1080p prices have really dropped and are now worth the money IMO. But a year ago, no way I'd pay the difference. There's just not that big of a difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p. Especially considering the viewing distance of most setups.

I'm a HUGH Sony LCD supporter and I would go with the 6. A little over a yr ago I purchased a 52" Sony XBR4 (instead of the 5) and if I were to buy a TV today it would be the 6 hands down. I went around and did a TON of research on TVs and my personal preferance was a LCD and a Sony. A CLOSE second was a Samsung.

I'm a HUGH Sony LCD supporter and I would go with the 6. A little over a yr ago I purchased a 52" Sony XBR4 (instead of the 5) and if I were to buy a TV today it would be the 6 hands down. I went around and did a TON of research on TVs and my personal preferance was a LCD and a Sony. A CLOSE second was a Samsung.

The Sony's are great. No question there. But side by side (both calibrated) I like my parents' Pioneer plasma better than their Sony. It is a personal preference. But no way I'd pay $2k for a Sony LCD when I could get the Panny for almost half the price.

Another thing to consider is the LCDs will usually look better in the store. They are very bright and the store's lighting can sometimes drown the plasma's display. But when calibrated and in a "real" viewing environment, I'll take the plasma.

That being said, I do own an lcd in the bedroom and love it.