[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IR Rules May Be Changing

gilthorp

Reading the Sunday Trib as a routine, I usually go right to the weekly MLB or NFL report. Found this little nugget today and something we'll need to keep an eye on. This would certainly force most fantasy leagues to make some changes in their rules, especially dynasty leagues.

Reservations about injured reserve: Some of the NFL's power brokers would like to see a change in the way injured-reserve rules work. Currently, when a player is placed on injured reserve, his season is over.

But it wasn't always this way. Injured reserve used to start out as a four-week layaway. The NFL felt obligated to make injured reserve a season-long designation because some teams—most notably the Redskins in the 1980s—started using it as a way of jockeying rosters and "stashing" players.

Such maneuvering isn't as big a concern anymore because the salary cap prevents teams from carrying extra players.

So don't be surprised if the league decides to go back to the old way of doing things and injured reserve becomes a four- to six-week proposition.

Full article

Good find, Gil. I have sometimes wondered about the rationale for IR in the modern era. I think the NFL might dip a toe in the water first by allowing one "non-season ending" IR first to see what happens.

The only FF league I play on that has an IR spot allows use of IR for any one player designated as Doubtful or Out. Activation of that player must occur once he's no longer designated as such. It's a redraft so a real IR just gets dropped.

I thought that's what the PUP was for?

EDIT: Also, why is there a roster cap when there's a salary cap?

The PUP is currently for players with lingering injuries that happened prior to the start of training camp.

A roster cap is there to help prevent stockpiling a lot of players with minimum salaries.

So PUP cannot be used during the season? Why not change that instead of IR?

What's wrong with stock piling guys at minimum? If they're fine with a minimum pay contract.

I'm sure the PU would have a problem with that concept....they don't want more minimum contracts all over the league.

Why?

If they removed the roster limit, you figure each team could add 5-10 more players. Does having more members hurt or help the union?

I could see Arena football being annoyed, but don't even currently play.

They aren't interested in putting more meat into the grinder. They just want a more expensive type of meat to come out of it. That's all.