[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Misunderstood music groups.

skylive5

This ever happen to you?

Alvin Lee (TYA) at Woodstock 1969:

"I'm Goin' Home by... Helicopter".

So for a few months I spent most of my time in record shops looking for stuff by "Helicopter". :D

Every once in awhile I hear a group name or solo artist name that has nothing to do with actual fact. Takes me awhile to figure out I am on a wild goose chase.

Sort of like when I first heard of Jethro Tull. Couldn't figure out why someone would name their kid Jethro as it was without a doubt out of date. Then a few years later I picked up an album by this really great flute player named Ian Anderson. Took me forever to put the two together... :wacko: ... and figure out that I had been listening to Anderson for years.

Sometimes I feel out of touch..... :D

This ever happen to you?

So for a few months I spent most of my time in record shops looking for stuff by "Helicopter". :D

Every once in awhile I hear a group name or solo artist name that has nothing to do with actual fact. Takes me awhile to figure out I am on a wild goose chase.

Sort of like when I first heard of Jethro Tull. Couldn't figure out why someone would name their kid Jethro as it was without a doubt out of date. Then a few years later I picked up an album by this really great flute player named Ian Anderson. Took me forever to put the two together... :wacko: ... and figure out that I had been listening to Anderson for years.

ah ha ha, but someone did name their kid Jethro Tull. Just no one in this band. Other than that, I have never understood Aerosmith.

This ever happen to you?

and the thing is that nothing else they recorded sounded anything like I'm Going Home, they used to do the song during live gigs which they did at woodstock and it was put into the movie and viola the song they are most famous for was never recorded by them for an alblum. It's been years but Cricklewood Green or something like that was one of my favs.

Tony Orlando and Dawn

For a long time I thought these were three names to correspond with the 3 people in the group. Tony. Orlando. Dawn.

Then I thought, no Tony Orlando must be the guy's first and last name. Dawn is one of the chicks, but not sure which one... and why totally snub the second chick by not even naming her. :wacko:

Tony Orlando and Dawn

For a long time I thought these were three names to correspond with the 3 people in the group. Tony. Orlando. Dawn.

Then I thought, no Tony Orlando must be the guy's first and last name. Dawn is one of the chicks, but not sure which one... and why totally snub the second chick by not even naming her. :wacko:

:D

During 3rd grade, the Detroit Public School system starting bussing students from predominantly white neighborhoods to schools in black neighborhoods and vice versa. I remember some of the black students wondering who this Led Zeppelin guy was that all the white kids raved about.

Edited by Puddy

I have never understood the transition from Jefferson Airplane --->Jefferson Starship---->Starship. Though it does make a little more sense the name of the band degraded along with the music... :wacko:

Starship's first recording came out in 69 or 70 it was the Airplane plus Garcia,Crosby, Nash, Quicksilver and a few others hanging around SF at the time. When Katner and Slick broke up the airplane they took on various personel changes throughtout the years but went under Starship thinking it had to do with K & S having the naming rights or something. By the way if you can get the original Starship It's a great record about the times and the anti war movement. looked for it a few years ago and couldn't find it anywhere.