[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should we be worried?

Sox

Yesterday Soxette had her 33 week ultrasound,and her doctor told us the baby was in a "breech" position.He is sending us to a perinatologist today whom he said could do a much more detailed ultrasound.He told us it was precautionary "To make sure the blood flow to the baby and umbilical cord is ok."

This is our first baby so we don't know what to expect.SHOULD we be worried?

Yesterday Soxette had her 33 week ultrasound,and her doctor told us the baby was in a "breech" position.He is sending us to a perinatologist today whom he said could do a much more detailed ultrasound.He told us it was precautionary "To make sure the blood flow to the baby and umbilical cord is ok."

If it was something to be seriously worried about, they probably would have ushered you right down the the emergency room.

Breech just means the baby's upside down when at a time that he usually isn't (or something). It's not uncommon.

But yeah, you should be worried because you're a parent now. Expect around 40 more years of worry. :wacko:

eh, trust your doctors. sounds like maybe this puts you at a higher probability of needing a ceasarian delivery, and maybe not quite at full term (total layman's guesses there). but even if they had to do that today the baby would probably be fine. just keep her (and you) calm, relaxed, and know that people smarter than us are in control.

What is your due date? We are at March 8th, and it is our first too.

Good luck. Im sure everything will be just fine.

Newbie parents are inherent hypochondriacs. We were the same way. We had a perfect pregnancy and then my wife went into labor a month early. We had a beautiful 5.5 lb boy that lived in the NICU for 10 days. It taught us a lot about trusting doctors. It's absolutely amazing how far medicine has come. We saw 1 pound babies in the NICU that could fit in the palm of your hand.

So if there really were a problem, your wife would be in the hospital. I'm sure this is all precautionary. Trust them.

From what you've written the visit with the perinatologist IS just precautionary.

Some hospitals have physicians specially trained to do vaginal deliveries of breech babies, but I don't have that available to my patients so I counsel my patients regarding an attempt to turn the baby 3 weeks before the due date. It's done on L&D after the baby has been monitored to insure it's healthy and after giving the patient an injection of medicine to relax the uterine muscle. The successful baby-turning rate is about 60-70% and complication rates are very low. If a patient declines the turning attempt or it's unsuccessful, I schedule her for a cesarean section one week prior to the due date.

Your baby has a very good chance of turning on his/her own.

If you have any other questions or concerns you can PM me.

From what you've written the visit with the perinatologist IS just precautionary.

Some hospitals have physicians specially trained to do vaginal deliveries of breech babies, but I don't have that available to my patients so I counsel my patients regarding an attempt to turn the baby 3 weeks before the due date. It's done on L&D after the baby has been monitored to insure it's healthy and after giving the patient an injection of medicine to relax the uterine muscle. The successful baby-turning rate is about 60-70% and complication rates are very low. If a patient declines the turning attempt or it's unsuccessful, I schedule her for a cesarean section one week prior to the due date.

Atta boy!! :wacko:

Newbie parents are inherent hypochondriacs.

So if there really were a problem, your wife would be in the hospital. I'm sure this is all precautionary. Trust them.

+1

our second one (now two years old) was born breech. we were told a couple weeks before delivery that if she hasn't turned by now, she most likely won't by the delivery date. We weren't given an option to have her forcefully turned. They don't like this option. I guess each practice has its different beliefs. So we had the C-section. It actually works out nice because you get to plan the event. No running around at the last second, No worrying about getting stuck in rush hour traffic, etc.

my 1st was born "Frank breech" (butt first, in a pike position--my little contortionist) and he turned this way at 39 weeks, so I had the c-section, everything was fine. One of his legs was stuck straight up the the air for about a week after delivery, hilarious sight to see....I'd include a pic of this if I knew how.

Oh, those perinatologists, I've been to them with my 2nd pregnancy, her kidney was dilated in utero, thank God I had health insurance, I saw he charged my insurance $1400 for a 15-min sono!

Thanks!

The doctor pretty much echoed what you've told me.The blood flow and fluid levels were both good.The baby is a bit smaller than normal,but he said not unexpected with Soxette being about 4'9".He said what you did,there's a good chance the baby will turn on his own. Everything looks good,but he still wants us back in two weeks for another ultrasound.

Thanks again!

Edited by Sox

i wouldn't go that far... we trusted ours and it turned into a mess for one of our twins that was breach. We should have gotten second and third opinions but now its to late.

We trusted our doc, it almost cost him his life.