[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone in a sign making businesses?

Randall

I'm thinking about starting one making signs with mostly vinyl lettering-vehicles and store signs.

I had to stop working because of my back so I'm debating a new business. I'm good at layout and design and this may work.

Can anyone recommend 24" systems and vinyl startup kits that would work?

I'll also add that you won't be able to compete with companies that print on an HP with 4C process UV ink. Max size is 52" and you get full coverage waterproof ink with unlimited color.

Vinyl lettering (trapping issues, color limitations ) vs. Full color ink

Good luck.

Edited by twiley

You're limiting yourself with 24" systems. You need 48" min to make any real money IMO. I guess if you're looking for side money 24 is good but ANY sign business can do 24".

Thanks. This is a small town so there isn't much competition but I'll look into it.Thanks.

Thanks. This is a small town so there isn't much competition but I'll look into it.Thanks.

How much business do you anticipate since you live in a small town? If they need signs they must already be getting them someplace or just doing without?

Not trying to rain on your parade just wondering if the payoff would be worth the investment?

How much business do you anticipate since you live in a small town? If they need signs they must already be getting them someplace or just doing without?

Not trying to rain on your parade just wondering if the payoff would be worth the investment?

It's like Martha's Vineyard for Minneapolis. People are hired from 100-200 miles away. A lot of signwork is done 8 months a year.

No you're not raining on my parade it's a good question. Work generally here is mostly seasonal. In winter the town is pretty dead because the people with money are basically gone.

The business wouldn't be worse than what I used to do.

Just researching it now. I'm researching moving too.

Hewlett Packard Large Format Inkjet is what you want to look into. You'll need a cutting set-up, even though for some basic signage you can have the plotter cut along the length of the roll. You'll want to price out a laminator, and of course a computer with appropriate design software.

You can probably put all of that together for less than 30K to get started.

Randall where are you living?

I have a good friend of mine who used to be partners in a sign business in Milwaukee but sold his interest a few years back. He has now moved to Green Bay and did Sales for a local (but large) sign company but changed jobs again and is currently not in sign business.

He may be able to help you if you have other issues. Not sure if you are close to GB??

Hewlett Packard Large Format Inkjet is what you want to look into. You'll need a cutting set-up, even though for some basic signage you can have the plotter cut along the length of the roll. You'll want to price out a laminator, and of course a computer with appropriate design software.

You can probably put all of that together for less than 30K to get started.

I forgot about the laminator.

Edited by twiley