[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mortgage location survey

ABearWithFurniture

Doing a re-fi on my home right now and the new mortgage company wants a copy of the survey. I saw this in the realtor's office when we first bought the house but it didn't come with the deed paperwork. I can't get a hold of the realtor now as he seems to be out of town.

Anyone know where I can get one either online or through the mail/local office? Thanks in advance for any help/info...

Doing a re-fi on my home right now and the new mortgage company wants a copy of the survey. I saw this in the realtor's office when we first bought the house but it didn't come with the deed paperwork. I can't get a hold of the realtor now as he seems to be out of town.

Anyone know where I can get one either online or through the mail/local office? Thanks in advance for any help/info...

Did you check in the paper you have from your orginal closing?

Give me a few hours.

Puter been down and just found this. Just and fyi that surveys are copyrighted for one time use. If something comes up wrong from you will hold the liability for the error as well as increasing the likelihood of being sued civilly by the surveyor.

Puter been down and just found this. Just and fyi that surveys are copyrighted for one time use. If something comes up wrong from you will hold the liability for the error as well as increasing the likelihood of being sued civilly by the surveyor.

I think he's just talking about a plat map, not a full-on survey.

What is the difference?

:wacko: I always thought a boundary survey or a plat map was just a basic document, which is most certainly for more than just a one-time use. It's reproduced a countless number of times; as part of title reports, etc. It's on file with the Assessor's Office and available to the public as far as I know. If you're saying that those documents can't be reproduced, well then every title company I've ever worked with should be sued hundreds of thousands of times if not more.

I think what you're thinking of is the type of survey you do... which is far more involved.

:D

:wacko: I always thought a boundary survey or a plat map was just a basic document, which is most certainly for more than just a one-time use. It's reproduced a countless number of times; as part of title reports, etc. It's on file with the Assessor's Office and available to the public as far as I know. If you're saying that those documents can't be reproduced, well then every title company I've ever worked with should be sued hundreds of thousands of times if not more.

I think what you're thinking of is the type of survey you do... which is far more involved.

:D

Actually every survey stamped is copyrighted. Each time a title company uses one in the way you are describing is a violation. Some states requiring recording surveys. Texas is not one of those states. The main reason is because of potential misuse.

Actually every survey stamped is copyrighted. Each time a title company uses one in the way you are describing is a violation. Some states requiring recording surveys. Texas is not one of those states. The main reason is because of potential misuse.

Didn't know that stamp = copyright. Every other state I've worked in has a plat/survey/whatever as part of the title report. What a mess. I can't tell you how many times I've used copied surveys. :wacko:

Didn't know that stamp = copyright. Every other state I've worked in has a plat/survey/whatever as part of the title report. What a mess. I can't tell you how many times I've used copied surveys. :wacko:

Just so we are on the same page, there is nothing wrong with including an old survey in the title report as long as it is clearly indicated that the survey is old and doesn't represent the current facts. There is nothing wrong with using a shot of a subdivision plat for a general location, at least in the states where I practice. BUT, when you use a stamped survey of even a vacant lot to show boundary lines without the licensees permission it is a copyright violation, not to mention foolhardy.

Just so we are on the same page, there is nothing wrong with including an old survey in the title report as long as it is clearly indicated that the survey is old and doesn't represent the current facts. There is nothing wrong with using a shot of a subdivision plat for a general location, at least in the states where I practice. BUT, when you use a stamped survey of even a vacant lot to show boundary lines without the licensees permission it is a copyright violation, not to mention foolhardy.

Alright, well that makes more sense.

And you'd be shocked how much this occurs... and it's up my alley as to figuring out, for those that are clueless, that they need an updated survey based on current title conditions.

Alright, well that makes more sense.

And you'd be shocked how much this occurs... and it's up my alley as to figuring out, for those that are clueless, that they need an updated survey based on current title conditions.

Oh I know how much it happens. A few years ago I was working for a guy and a title company used a survey from the previous owner 40-50 years before. They were furious that they had used the old survey and an entire new subdivision had been built on the property. I had no clue what to say to them.