[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Have you ever met a famous person ?

whomper

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note, the singer of my band was also a journalist and went to Paris to interview U2. He spent an hour with Bono and gave him a copy of our CD. Bono called him that evening and gave his thoughts on our CD, which songs he liked and what not...it was amazing to hear...

they were going to meet up for drinks later that night but Bono had to cancel cause he was leaving early the next morning for Sarajevo (sp.)

Used to wait tables in Maui in the late 80's/early 90's...

Met and/or waited on tons of actors, musicians, politicians, sports figures and jet setters at the time...the ones that stand out were:

Elton John and his 'entourage' - biggest celebrity a-hole I've ever met. Might have been a bad day for him or maybe he was oh his period or something but just very unfriendly, ragging on his entourage, and seemed to be pissed off with everything around him.

Steven Tyler, wife, and kids (Liv Tyler when she was a toddler) - very nice guy, I was a playing gigs as an amateur musician at the time and he gave me lots of advice...mostly to get out of it while I was still alive.

The Blues Brothers band...this was years after Belushi had died but Aykroyd had given them permission to play on using the name...Duck Dunn came in one night with his wife and I waited on them and we had a great conversation about playing bass guitar and the island. The band was there to play the Kapalua golf tournament and he told me the entire band (Cropper, Marini, Rubin, Hall, Jordan, Malone) were all going to be there as well and they would probably all be eating there again the next day before the gig...so sure enough they all came in and asked for me to wait on them...extremely friendly guys and very nice to wait on. Great conversationalists.

The Rolling Stones - waited on Jagger, Richards, and Wood, and a couple of their handlers. Nice enough guys, kinda quite really. I was probably a little awed when I met them.

All of Guns n Roses, with Heather Locklear in tow...kinda rowdy but nothing really unusual. Could not keep my eyes off Heather...she was just way too hot.

Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland when they were dating. Both were drunk off their asses as Sutherland was a huge Scotch fan. I don't think Kiefer liked it when I tried to move in on Julia. They were pretty friendly though for the most part.

Paula Abdul and Joe Theismann. Both were kinda snooty and not very approachable. Abdul at one point went into the ladies restroom and I guess while she was washing her hands she took some of her jewelry off. She accidently left a ring behind that one of our waitresses found. Abdul was on a plane about to take off back to the mainland when she realized she was missing her ring and had the pilots call into the restaurant to see if they had found it. The ring turned out to be worth $250,000 and was encrusted with mucho diamonds, emeralds, sapphires...very nice to say the least. The waitress who turned it in never even received a thank you from her...

Waited on a lot of the California wine families...Mondavi's, Ferrari-Carano's, owners of many of the leading vineyards at the time and most of these people were extremely friendly, and helpful with teaching/learning about food/wine.

Only autograph I ever got was Steve Largent. Big fan of his and he and his wife were just way too cool. Extremely nice and down-to-earth people.

And the one that still gets me to this day every time I see him on TV, and I know I've told this story on here before...I was hauling ass coming out of the back room on an extremely busy lunch day when around the corner came this guy from the bathroom and I just nailed him. Very little guy and I'm pretty big and I just knocked him over flat on his ass...I helped him up off the floor and was apologizing when I realized I'd seen him before. He dusted himself off and said he was okay, and walked back to his table. I went into the kitchen trying to figure out where I'd seen him before when another waiter came in and said he was waiting on Bob Costas...sure enough I looked out and it was him. I just kinda giggle everytime I see him now...

If we're doing "one degree of seperation," many years ago my brother - an aspiring musician - met Stephen Stills (keep in mind he grew up in the 60s). He was playing on the street corners of NYC, hat out for donations, the whole bit - he played guitar and some harmonica. This huge bus pulls up w/the windows all blacked out. Dismissing it he starts playing "Heart of Gold" (N Young) - and out steps Stills, throws a fiver or some such in the hat, smiles and goes "keep the faith kid" and gets back on and it drives away. I think his mouth is still hanging open.

I also worked w/someone who said as a little kid in Calif once she saw Ronald Regan in a movie theater (Gov at the time) and asked for his autograph - at first he blew her off but his staff suggested otherwise (PR) - but by that point she was PO'd and in more polite kid talk basically said "screw you, I don't want it now."

Another ex-drinking friend (AF pilot) spent an evening w/some other pilots/etc and Bill Cosby. Said he was really friendly, incredibly entertaining w/all kinds of stories. Said Johnny Carson was an extremely nice guy but kinda weird, FWIW.

ronnie lott- very nice

mark mcquire- nice enough

robin williams- funny in person too

dan fouts 3 times- very down to earth

jake plummer 2 times- good guy

cedric the entertainer- meh

snoop dog- meh

terrell davis- nice guy

rocco dispirito- meh...very full of himself

dr j- very nice guy

well what do you know?! ronnie lott just spent some time at the hotel i work for. saw him, but didn't bother him.

well what do you know?! ronnie lott just spent some time at the hotel i work for. saw him, but didn't bother him.

I am somewhat-connected to some people that work with Lott on his yearly college award and will likely meet him at some point. Seems like a pretty cool - yet intense - dude.