[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Golfers

HowboutthemCowboys

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylormade R7s Woods

Cobra S9 irons

older Odyssey Putter

mostly Pro V golf balls

Hubby is a real mish mash

Cleveland Driver and 5 wood

Titleist older 3 wood

Ping hybrid (can't remember the degree)

Goldwin Irons (co. out of business)

Tltlelist gap and lob wedge

Scotty Cameron putter

Any Callaway golf ball

Just won a full set of Ping I-5 irons blue dots and G5 driver off of Ebay used for $289. Will arrive

on Tuesday.

I really like the E6+. It doesn't spin too much off of the driver, but has some decent spin around the greens. I haven't tried the new E7+. But the E5+ spun like a V1. This ball isn't as hard as the Top Flight Feel, which for the money is a fantastic ball, but isn't as soft as a V1...

The E6+ is a great ball in the mid $20 price range...

Try the 330's SWEET. I like it better than the Pro V's. The thing is I find all of my golf balls and I find lots more Pro Vs and 330s.

Driver: Taylor Made 360 (10.5) - Sometimes have to keep the ball in the air as much as possible here in the PNW

Shaft: Pro Force Gold (stiff 350)

3 wood: Taylor Made 300 series

5 wood; Tight Lies (strong 5)

Rescue: Taylor Made Mid (22 degree's)

Irons: Titleist 762's

Wedges: 52, 56 and 60 Titleist Vokeys

Putter: Have 4 of them but have been using Taylor Made Rossa Lambeau (red insert)

Balls: Titleist Pro V1's, Callaway Tour ix (won't play with any # higher than 2) :wacko:

playing to an 11 right now but have played to a 7

Edited by theprofessor

Anyone who has not had a custom golf ball fitting, I highly recommend it. Bridgestone was doing these for free a while back. If your home course ever has one, do it.

I see a lot of people with 100 mph swing speeds playing the Pro V1. That ball is not designed for that SS. The ball fitting will find the perfect ball for your SS, launch angle, and spin. I saw a guy pick up 20 mph ball speed by switching from the Pro V1 to the Bridgestone e6.

Anyone who has not had a custom golf ball fitting, I highly recommend it. Bridgestone was doing these for free a while back. If your home course ever has one, do it.

I see a lot of people with 100 mph swing speeds playing the Pro V1. That ball is not designed for that SS. The ball fitting will find the perfect ball for your SS, launch angle, and spin. I saw a guy pick up 20 mph ball speed by switching from the Pro V1 to the Bridgestone e6.

Tell me this. Did they put anyone into a ball that was not Bridgestone? I mean did they tell anyone to play a ProV or crappy shoes from spammers Black. I have played all the better balls and I am very partial to the Calloway HX Hot.

In fact I like the crappy shoes from spammers Black way over the ProV 1. I play a lot of Pro V's as they are always laying around the coures that I play so I end up with a bunch of them. However, if I am paying for some new balls, it is going to be the HX HOT.

Tell me this. Did they put anyone into a ball that was not Bridgestone? I mean did they tell anyone to play a ProV or crappy shoes from spammers Black. I have played all the better balls and I am very partial to the Calloway HX Hot.

In fact I like the crappy shoes from spammers Black way over the ProV 1. I play a lot of Pro V's as they are always laying around the coures that I play so I end up with a bunch of them. However, if I am paying for some new balls, it is going to be the HX HOT.

This particular ball fitting was sponsored by Bridgestone...so obviously they wanted the Bridgestone balls to perform better on the monitor. But in my case, the Pro V1 out performed what they had. I cannot remember my spin and launch angle numbers, but my swing speed is around 125 and ball speed is in the high 180s. The e5 ball speed was a little less and the spin was not optimal for my swing. So obviously the recommended staying with the V1.

No question they are promoting their golf ball. But they do let you hit your golf ball and they had plenty of other brands to try.

Well that does sound cool. I hope they have this thing here in Pittsburgh at some point and I hope if they do that I can give it a whack. I would love to see if my theory on my ball of choice is correct.

Check around and don't pay for it. There should be a free one at some point. From what I've seen, the ones who benefit the most from ball fitting is the slower swing speed golfers. Anyone hovering around 100 mph and lower should check it out.

Check around and don't pay for it. There should be a free one at some point. From what I've seen, the ones who benefit the most from ball fitting is the slower swing speed golfers. Anyone hovering around 100 mph and lower should check it out.

Interesting. I'd never had my clubhead speed measured until a few weeks ago at Dick's while shopping for a driver. The guy told me not to overswing; just a nice tee shot swing. I averaged around 95 but I know sometimes I swing alot harder than I was in their shop.

Skippy, I started playing the HX Hot's last year almost exclusively myself. But I really don't know what would best suit my swing. :wacko:

Golf magazine had a ball test article in Feb 08 the was pretty informative. They tested over 50 balls. They categorized the different balls for spin, distance, compression, price. Had some little flow chart like stuff to help you pick the type of ball that fits your game. Led me to try the Titliest NXT Extreme. Couldn't be happier.

Golf magazine had a ball test article in Feb 08 the was pretty informative. They tested over 50 balls. They categorized the different balls for spin, distance, compression, price. Had some little flow chart like stuff to help you pick the type of ball that fits your game. Led me to try the Titliest NXT Extreme. Couldn't be happier.

Exact same reason I switched to the NXT Extreme.

Funny story - a few years ago I saw a set in "Pick and Save" (now Big Lots, a close out store), for $100. 3 woods, big head, titanium, nice irons, cavity back, 3 - PW, putter, and a stand bag. Brand was called Diamond Tek, which I still have been unable to find who they actually are. I thought I would buy them just to have an extra set when my East Coast son-in-law was in town. At the time I was playing with really old, used-to-be good clubs, and I decided to try these once to make sure they were OK. Well my game improved by 25%, handicap down a few strokes, so I started using them regularly. Of course all my buddies ridiculed me endlessly (with their expensive Taylor Mades and Calloways). The best line was a guy who said, "BeachBum went to one of those club fitting stores, they tested his swing, and sent him to Big Lots!"

I have since upgraded from these, but not very far. Lynx irons and hybrids, Warrior driver, some other stuff!

Funny story - a few years ago I saw a set in "Pick and Save" (now Big Lots, a close out store), for $100. 3 woods, big head, titanium, nice irons, cavity back, 3 - PW, putter, and a stand bag. Brand was called Diamond Tek, which I still have been unable to find who they actually are. I thought I would buy them just to have an extra set when my East Coast son-in-law was in town. At the time I was playing with really old, used-to-be good clubs, and I decided to try these once to make sure they were OK. Well my game improved by 25%, handicap down a few strokes, so I started using them regularly. Of course all my buddies ridiculed me endlessly (with their expensive Taylor Mades and Calloways). The best line was a guy who said, "BeachBum went to one of those club fitting stores, they tested his swing, and sent him to Big Lots!"

I have since upgraded from these, but not very far. Lynx irons and hybrids, Warrior driver, some other stuff!

Diamond Tek

searched online for this article for quite a while. Thought I found it here--http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1696319,00.html

I can't open the link on the left for..."find the right golf ball for you". :wacko:

Irons are Tommy Armour 845's Silver Scot.

Used to have a set of Ping Eye 2's. Wish I had 'em back.

Woods are a set of Burner woods I bought about 20 years ago. Shoot between 79-85 most of the time.

Pretty much have put the clubs away for awhile as the kids grow up and we spend more time camping and fishing.

LOL...this is too funny. I had Tour Editions in high school...the Greg Norman Irons of the time....then in 1991....got the Tommy Armour 845's...played with them till I got to be a 2 handicap....then got Titleist blades for free from the Rep that supplied the golf shop I ran. My boss was a Titleist sponsored pro and didn't need the set...so I took em. Played with them for about 5 years, then kinda quit golf....now what do I play with:

Tommy Armour 845's steel shaft.

I hate big headed Drivers, so I play with the Mizuno T-Zoid Titanium with the Pro-Stiff grahite...forget what the shaft is called but it has a very high flex point for lower boring shots.

I have a Titleist PT 3 wood with the factory stiff shaft....15 degree...strong azz club

I have a Merit 52 degree wedge with a dual bounce sole that allow me to use it as a lob wedge.

I have a Cleveland 56 sand wedge with 12 degrees of bounce...the RTG...if that is what they call the one that rusts.

I have a Wilson 8803...or 8813...forget right now...blade putter....sweet feel.

I think that is it.

This is probably the wrong way to judge a golf ball but I like a ball that I hardly feel at impact. That usually means the more expensive balls, but since I have 600 golf balls previously owned that are all $25-$45 a doz. new, and found on my course, so I have an endless supply. I have 374 Pro V's in my garage.

The Callaways all feel hard to me even the Tours. I haven't found a Taylormade style I like at all. I also find the NXTs rather hard in feel.

My faves amongst the inexpensive balls are all the Precepts, and the crappy shoes from spammers Super Softs which aren't made anymore, so I don't what the new equivalent is. My premium faves are the Pro V's, crappy shoes from spammers Black and Platinums, and the Bridgestone 330's. I

This is probably the wrong way to judge a golf ball but I like a ball that I hardly feel at impact. That usually means the more expensive balls...

I like a buttery soft feel at impact and have found most premium golfballs are too hard. I like the MC Laddie or Lady (shut it!). They fly the trajectory I like and have a lot of roll to them. I can even get them to stop on greens if I do my part. All that and I can get them for a buck each. :wacko: Low compression is the way to go for me, but that's all feel. My CHS indicates a different ball altogether. :D

I cut the crap out of every crappy shoes from spammers ball I've tried.

Calloways don't impress me.

The Pro V1s are nice, but not woth the money to me.

I pretty much hate any ball with the word "titanium" on the box.

The Callaways all feel hard to me even the Tours. I haven't found a Taylormade style I like at all. I also find the NXTs rather hard in feel.

That is weird. I am just the opposite with how the ball feels. To me the HX Hot and the NXT Extreme at two the feel very soft to me. :wacko: